Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

[quote name='paul h' post='446876' date='Mar 27 2009, 08:34 AM']I'm available for some kind of design service/bass trade thang?

Well, you have to try!

P.[/quote]

Well the weird thing is he paid someone to make a site but for some reason the guy never posted it up. I don't get it....

[quote name='paul h' post='446931' date='Mar 27 2009, 09:34 AM']Ahhhh. That would be Stealth Web Design Ltd then. I much prefer Ninja Graphics for my invisible design needs.

P.[/quote]

Exactly. I think it's best if you don't employ a designer. Better to have it on your own computer so you can make quick changes and not worry about flashy design.

I bring you more news from deepest, darkest Essex. There's been a bit of routing going on down there.

Measuring up:

The cavity must encompass the battery in this bass:

The machine moves in:

Voilà... a hole.

So there you go - not the most exciting collection of photos, but worthy and informative all the same. [i]Dull[/i] is the new [i]interesting[/i].

[quote name='Matte_black' post='452406' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:31 PM']I like how it's turning out, really. I'd have made the body edges rounder but it's a matter of taste.[/quote]

I think if you're making a bass there's a natural inclination to make all the curves and all the contours soft because it's easy - and all the equipment - the sanders and files and power tools mean that it's really easy to do. But actually, I think more angular edges make a bass look a lot classier than something totally rounded like this for instance:

...which is not to my taste at all.

Also, I don't like a rounded edge on the lower part of the body because the bass tends to roll off the lap. But as you say - a matter of taste.

Well... some curves would probably look better if hand carved (i.e. the lower horn inner part) but who knows? Some basses (like Status S2000) have "rectangular" edges that make the body of the bass a bit hard to wear. Anyway I liked a lot how the Ibanez Affirma (by Rolf Spuler) was made. :)

[quote name='Matte_black' post='452433' date='Apr 2 2009, 01:51 PM']I liked a lot how the Ibanez Affirma (by Rolf Spuler) was made. :)[/quote]

The more I think about it, the more I realise that bass was a miracle of ergonomic design

...and I love the way it has a combination of soft and hard contours.

Edited by Spoombung

Brilliant diary! I particularly like the pics at the start. Interesting to follow this one; shame we're 200 miles apart - I'd love to see this close up.
I would have voted A, but there again I would have gone for headless myself. :)

HUGH

Some may agree! :) But just look at the latest pic on my project..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44673&st=20[/url]

:rolleyes:

plus the balance is just waaay better!

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='452676' date='Apr 2 2009, 07:18 PM']Mike's cracking on with this isn't he :)
How long until completion? Roughly?[/quote]

Well I suspect he's 'cracking on with it' in between Henri Winterman cigars and other distractions. :rolleyes: He hasn't given me a completion date yet...

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='452748' date='Apr 2 2009, 09:16 PM']Just read through this whole thread. One of the best and most complete build diaries I've read. Looks like it's turning out great as well. I'm eagerly anticipating pics of the finished product...[/quote]

Thanks. Half of that's down to Mike as he's been very good sending me photos.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='453854' date='Apr 4 2009, 08:49 AM']Coming along nicely, although I really only pop in for the Essex refresh.
I lie, this is my Essex (just to show the other side of the County).[/quote]

Oh, c'mon now. You've just cut and pasted those scenes from nearby Suffolk!