Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

Let's have a look at the remarkable neck. It's only 34mm at the nut - that's TINY compared to most basses. In fact it's smaller than any other bass I know of. I've included a comparison shot with my Danelectro so you can get some sort of idea exactly how small it is.

I have found this is the element of the bass the most people have been most critical about. I've had comments like;

"Why do you want the neck so narrow?"

"Have you got really small hands?"

"Your hand will cramp up"

...and even

"You won't be able to slap!"

Well, I can tell you folks this is a REAL SUCCESS and feels beautiful to grip and to play. I maintain there is absolutely no need for the kind of wide string spacing most bass guitars feature. It serves no purpose other than to perpetrate an unpleasant tactile experience on the player. Even the sceptical Mike had to admit it felt superb.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Merton' post='495083' date='May 22 2009, 12:42 PM']I love it! You should licence the design to Iceni so they can sell one to me :)[/quote]

I'd like to do that. I might even make my money back. The other day I suggested to Mike I should redesign all his basses. You should have seen his face.

[quote name='Mikey R' post='495129' date='May 22 2009, 01:13 PM']Kev, whats the spacing at the bridge? I would guess thats the limiting factor for a lot of styles. My new 5 string is 17mm and thats kinda tight![/quote]

erm, it's a hipshot .656 which I think is the narrowist spacing they do. I assume you mean slappin when you say [i]'a lot of styles'[/i]? I just can't get on with that clanking sound, I'm afraid.

Edited by Spoombung

I don't minid my spacing small or large. I play a lot of guitar, baritone guitar, 6 string bass with wide spacing..... It makes no difference to me.

The two things I love most about this bass are the black pin stripes, and the contouring on the top - the way it's flat or "sharp" in places but all so beautifully smooth.

I do quite like this in an odd 'I shouldn't like this' kind of way. And I agree with you about the string spacing. 16mm at the bridge is what I go for :)

However, is it intentional that you have black hardware except for the tuning pegs?

[quote name='Finbar' post='495375' date='May 22 2009, 05:01 PM']I do quite like this in an odd 'I shouldn't like this' kind of way. And I agree with you about the string spacing. 16mm at the bridge is what I go for :)

However, is it intentional that you have black hardware except for the tuning pegs?[/quote]

Yes, that was intentional. Adds to the feeling of weightlessness and invisibility. Black is just too evil up there.

As for your guilty pleasures, learn to love the forbidden fruit, my friend!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='495378' date='May 22 2009, 05:03 PM']I present a super-luxurious shot:

I'll start writing about it some time in the next couple of days. Just getting used to it for the time being...[/quote][url="http://www.wackywavinginflatablearmflailingtubeman.com/"]http://www.wackywavinginflatablearmflailingtubeman.com/[/url]
:)

It's not my personal taste, but its an incredible piece of design. Interesting to see how little the bass changed from cardboard cut-out to finished bass. Also, well done to Zoot/Iceni - the build quality looks superb but was build in a fraction of the time that it seems to take other luthiers. I definitely think there's a market for this if it was marketed properly. Those slightly eccentric Europeans would love it.