Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

Let's see what it looks like then:

Very unusual and very elegant. The back looks lovely too.

Well, I'm learning that having one of these custom builds is rather like a having a builder work on your house. There are numerous delays and setbacks, long waits for parts, and then the wrong parts arriving. Then you have to take into account personal schedules so people become unavailable for long periods or have to divert suddenly towards more pressing concerns. Anyway, for one reason or another there won't be any more progress on the instrument for the next few weeks... although he has said he'll aim for handing me the bass over on Friday the 15th of May...just in time for my birthday, hopefully. Can't wait, but I'm going to have to.

Edited by Spoombung

Here are some mock-ups of the way the bass might look minus the bridge (the wrong model arrived). I don't know why the knobs and strat plate are silver because I did request black, but as Mike is incommunicado I don't know whether he's mocked it up from parts he has lying around his workshop or whether he thinks I wanted silver. Anyway...

Still quite a long way from being finished.

[quote name='aido43' post='472664' date='Apr 26 2009, 01:31 PM']Its looking better every time--I really like the headstock and I think black hardware will look very nice. Are the frets jumbo sized as they look very fat in that last picture?[/quote]

Yes, they're quite big. I asked Mike to have a look at my Danelectro which has fat, low frets. I'm going to stick to chrome tuners but everything else will be black.

I'm pleased with the headstock. Quite remarkable how close it is to my original sketch:

Its hard to really tell what colour hardware will look best until the body gets lacquered/varnished--I just like black on wood. The headstock is great--looks really neat from behind.Its really moving along now --looking forward to next set of pics.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the deadline for completion is [b]TOMORROW [/b](the 15th)! ...[i]aaaand[/i] it's touch and go whether he can make it or not! We're running close to the wire, to say the least. In a desparate effort to meet the deadline the missing bridge has now been ordered via Fedex but [i]still [/i]hasn't arrived yet (as I type)! Oh, it's so exciting I can hardly contain myself. It's like a Bruce Willis movie!

Anyway, Mike has sent me some [i]heroic [/i]action shots of him spraying the body with sealer - that's the stuff that goes on before the oil and wax.

I hope it's dried by the time I get there tomorrow... come to think of it, it would be nice if it had some fecking strings on it.