Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='498909' date='May 27 2009, 03:45 PM']The bass actually needs a few tweeks (I'll elaborate later)and annoyingly, I have to try and find time to take it back to Mike ASAP to get it sorted out.[/quote]

So what were the tweaks?

[quote name='Spoombung' post='498909' date='May 27 2009, 03:45 PM']The bass actually needs a few tweeks (I'll elaborate later)and annoyingly, I have to try and find time to take it back to Mike ASAP to get it sorted out.[/quote]

So what were the tweaks?

[quote name='Mikey R' post='502630' date='May 31 2009, 10:08 PM']Kev, I remember hearing some of your playing at the Harrogate bash, I'd forgotten the kinds of sounds you can get. Ive got to say the look of the bass matches your playing style perfectly! :) Really like it![/quote]

Thanks, Mikey. I always think the bass guitar won't do it for you alone - you've got to work on getting a good sound (or an interesting sound, more to the point). And sometimes changing your tuning can be as valuable as acquiring a new instrument. And one shouldn't worry about pleasing everyone....

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Prosebass' post='548041' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:39 PM']Hi Kev

found this the other day......

[attachment=29412:Echo_2.JPG]

could almost be brothers....[/quote]

Like the look of that, is it for someone? Some interesting basses in the background too!

If i sell my Warmoth i might put the money to one side for a bit...

[quote name='Prosebass' post='548041' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:39 PM']Hi Kev

found this the other day......

[attachment=29412:Echo_2.JPG]

could almost be brothers....[/quote]

Hi Paul - yes that's very similar - and a bit like the new one I'm drawing up at the moment. Any details?

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='548049' date='Jul 22 2009, 07:47 PM']Like the look of that, is it for someone? Some interesting basses in the background too!

If i sell my Warmoth i might put the money to one side for a bit...[/quote]

[quote name='Spoombung' post='548254' date='Jul 22 2009, 09:27 PM']Hi Paul - yes that's very similar - and a bit like the new one I'm drawing up at the moment. Any details?[/quote]

The guy is an American Luthier by the name of [url="http://www.simmonsguitars.com/"]Dave Simmons[/url]

Like most bass luthiers I had not heard of him until I saw a small ad in the back of an old Bass Player magazine.

Paul

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='549419' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:33 PM']Ah i thought they were some of your basses. Some stunning ones on that site though![/quote]

I think the basic model for those kind of basses is the all-influential Carl Thompson. It's just nice to have a good looking instrument that balances with the centre of gravity in the middle.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='549419' date='Jul 23 2009, 09:33 PM']Ah i thought they were some of your basses. Some stunning ones on that site though![/quote]

My sheds not that big.... I have asked the Mrs if I can use the conservatory but shes non too agreeable....:)

Some nice designs though and its always good to take ideas in from other builders.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Matte_black' post='566175' date='Aug 11 2009, 07:45 PM']Spoombung, I'd be really glad if you could put the video back (even the audio only) as I find you playing style really really interesting. :)[/quote]

Hi Matte

Thanks for your interest in my playing style (I'm aware it certainly isn't to everyone's taste).

I'll get around to posting another video playing the Iceni bass in the future. I've got to take it back to Mike at some point (he offers a follow up service when the wood has settled down after a few months). I'm not very happy with the fretwork at the moment so I'll be glad when that's sorted out.

In the meantime here's me playing my Wal - which I play [i]almost[/i] the same as a fretted bass, anyway!

I've already watched it :rolleyes:
I took a look at youtube days ago. Sorry about the fretwork, anyway... it's very annoying when you have string buzz.
I'd be thrilled to build a fretless for you, one day. And I'd really look forward to see a video with one of my instruments. I have a similar approach to solo bass, Mick Karn and Percy Jones are IMHO the best players in the world... but don't forget Yves Carbonne, Manring, Miller and King! :)