Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

[quote name='urb' post='496796' date='May 24 2009, 08:15 PM']It looks great - congrats, wacky but wonderful - nice to see something a bit different round these parts...

M[/quote]

Oh, we'll be back to the Posh Fender Copies on the build thread before you know it!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='496853' date='May 24 2009, 09:34 PM']It's not my personal taste, but its an incredible piece of design. Interesting to see how little the bass changed from cardboard cut-out to finished bass. Also, well done to Zoot/Iceni - the build quality looks superb but was build in a fraction of the time that it seems to take other luthiers. I definitely think there's a market for this if it was marketed properly. Those slightly eccentric Europeans would love it.[/quote]

Thanks. Yeah, I'm also struck by the similarity between the hardboard bass and the drawings to the finished thing - the result of years of experience and knowing what you want, I suppose. Weird to think most builds start as big dull lists of ingredients, ie -

10 string thru neck
Mahogany Body
Buck-eye Burl top and back with matching golden balls
27 fret neck
45mm fossilized ivory nut with whipped cream veneer

-without even considering the shape and how the ergonomics and proportions work.

I will think about marketing it but I've been slightly put off by the state of the economy and the general pervading pessimism of the moment and some grim warnings from a fellow BC-ers.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='497181' date='May 25 2009, 11:45 AM']Thanks. Yeah, I'm also struck by the similarity between the hardboard bass and the drawings to the finished thing - the result of years of experience and knowing what you want, I suppose. Weird to think most builds start as big dull lists of ingredients, ie -

10 string thru neck
Mahogany Body
Buck-eye Burl top and back with matching golden balls
27 fret neck
45mm fossilized ivory nut with whipped cream veneer

-without even considering the shape and how the ergonomics and proportions work.

I will think about marketing it but I've been slightly put off by the state of the economy and the general pervading pessimism of the moment and some grim warnings from a fellow BC-ers.[/quote]You forgot to mention "Custom lazer cut Red Coral inlay at the twelth fret of your initials, matching pickup covers with LEDs, state of the art build quality in another factory, at no expense spared to the customer, by a sub-contractor, neck and body to be assembled in a totally custom style build manner, with a nod to the timeless designs of Fender. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='497273' date='May 25 2009, 01:49 PM']You forgot to mention "Custom lazer cut Red Coral inlay at the twelth fret of your initials, matching pickup covers with LEDs, state of the art build quality in another factory, at no expense spared to the customer, by a sub-contractor, neck and body to be assembled in a totally custom style build manner, with a nod to the timeless designs of Fender. :)[/quote]

Yeah I forgot to ask for hippy fish (that's dolphins) 24 iron crosses, Christmas tree lights, the air freshener option, something to indicate by belief in an imaginary friend... and a tuna wrap!

[quote name='Spoombung' post='497446' date='May 25 2009, 06:45 PM']Yeah I forgot to ask for hippy fish (that's dolphins) 24 iron crosses, Christmas tree lights, the air freshener option, something to indicate by belief in an imaginary friend... and a tuna wrap![/quote]
What fragrence air freshener?Maybe Nutrodol to kill the tuna odour!

Here's my dear old friend, Sean, (from the High Llamas) having a go.

Of course, he couldn't help take the piss and played Tears For Fears [i]'Everyone Wants to Rule the World'[/i] over and over again just to annoy me.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' post='497617' date='May 25 2009, 10:15 PM']Here's my dear old friend, Sean, (from the High Llamas) having a go.

Of course, he couldn't help take the piss and played Tears For Fears [i]'Everyone Wants to Rule the World'[/i] over and over again just to annoy me.[/quote]What does "The Chain" sound like on it? :)

[quote name='Mikey R' post='498603' date='May 27 2009, 11:30 AM']Have you uploaded any MP3s of the bass yet? Have I missed them?[/quote]

Not yet, but it is my solemn intention to do so (to prove I'm active and not simply a collector - if anything else).

The bass actually needs a few tweeks (I'll elaborate later)and annoyingly, I have to try and find time to take it back to Mike ASAP to get it sorted out. I'll post an MP3 soon.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='497176' date='May 25 2009, 11:33 AM']Oh, we'll be back to the Posh Fender Copies on the build thread before you know it![/quote]

I hope so for my sake! I really meant what I said though - your bass looks very cool and from the look on your buddy Sean's face while he's playing it, it'll no doubt bring you years of happy service - very cool indeed - now where's my posh Fender copy... :)

Mike

PS I really dig the High Lamas

[quote name='urb' post='499859' date='May 28 2009, 01:53 PM']I hope so for my sake! I really meant what I said though - your bass looks very cool and from the look on your buddy Sean's face while he's playing it, it'll no doubt bring you years of happy service - very cool indeed - now where's my posh Fender copy... :rolleyes:

Mike

PS I really dig the High Lamas[/quote]

The smirk on his face is due to the merciless amount of piss-taking going on - Tears for Fears songs and bluesy bass lines! He's a cheeky sod. It's fair to say the bass and bass lines don't figure too much in High Llamas music.

Are you expecting a Posh Fender Copy, soon? Is it a Shuker? :)

[quote name='Spoombung' post='500298' date='May 28 2009, 09:40 PM']The smirk on his face is due to the merciless amount of piss-taking going on - Tears for Fears songs and bluesy bass lines! He's a cheeky sod. It's fair to say the bass and bass lines don't figure too much in High Llamas music.

Are you expecting a Posh Fender Copy, soon? Is it a Shuker? :)[/quote]

Ah I see, my posh Jazz 'copy' is a Sei actually, see the thread below this one, should be ready in two or three weeks, so I'll have some pics up as soon as poss... should be a bit of a looker... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Spoombung' post='470449' date='Apr 23 2009, 10:26 AM']Here are some mock-ups of the way the bass might look minus the bridge (the wrong model arrived). I don't know why the knobs and strat plate are silver because I did request black, but as Mike is incommunicado I don't know whether he's mocked it up from parts he has lying around his workshop or whether he thinks I wanted silver. Anyway...

Still quite a long way from being finished.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Congratulations!....the finished bass looks great!.....is it just my imagination...(running away with me?) or is there some kind of alien lifeform pictured in the bodies woodgrain(last pic).....or should i stop smoking these funny cigarettes? :rolleyes:

[quote name='MB1' post='502337' date='May 31 2009, 03:53 PM']MB1. :)
Congratulations!....the finished bass looks great!.....is it just my imagination...(running away with me?) or is there some kind of alien lifeform pictured in the bodies woodgrain(last pic).....or should i stop smoking these funny cigarettes? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ah, yes, I noticed that too!

[color="#FF0000"][size=6]Okay...Here's a Youtube Video:[/size][/color]

Excuse the shorts, the glasses, the wondering and unfocused direction of my playing and the rather muffled sound - the result of recording an amp under the table turned the wrong way around through the cheap inbuilt Mac Mic.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='peted' post='502552' date='May 31 2009, 08:51 PM']Wow! I love all those percussive sounds you make in that clip. Very interesting. Have you got any more of your playing available online?[/quote]

That's something I've always worked on.

You can download all my stuff for free (last album was 2005) at my website.