Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='439565' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:49 PM']You know those paintings by Dali, with the melting clocks? It looks as though it could be the bass equivalent.

Can't wait to see the body contoured and painted! BTW what colour are you going for?[/quote]

I'm going to go for natural.

I know what you mean about Dali but I'm trying my best not to use innuendo and allude to his catchy painting titles eg, "[i]The Great Masturbator[/i]" as there's been enough talk about [i]lower horns[/i] here already.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='439587' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:08 PM']I'm thinking that I understand your appreciation Matte, looking at your avatar :)

Marks out of ten for ascetics hmm.... not a hug amount from me but it's Kev's bass and it'll hopefully suit a purpose.[/quote]

There's quite a long way to go on it, Peter, and I'm going to ask for the the horns to be shaped differently - all will hopefully be revealed next week.

[quote name='aido43' post='439659' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:07 PM']Wasnt sure about shape on drawings but it looks great now its cut---the wood is lovely--are you going for a matte or gloss finish?[/quote]

+1, it looks better 'in the flesh' so to speak. I'll be interested to see the contouring

[quote name='Matte_black' post='439648' date='Mar 19 2009, 08:03 PM']I like "liquid", harmonic and soft shapes. Can't stand huge bodies or Fender clones but it's my problem :)[/quote]

Yeah, I'm with you there. Can't understand people getting a 'custom build' and ending up with another Fender.

[quote name='Spoombung' post='439981' date='Mar 20 2009, 08:24 AM']Yeah, I'm with you there. Can't understand people getting a 'custom build' and ending up with another Fender.[/quote]

Well, I suppose there will be people who like Fenders with the exception of certain aspects, and if they have the cash to bankroll their quest for perfection, then they'd go for a custom build of a "perfectified" Fender.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='440011' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:10 AM']Well, I suppose there will be people who like Fenders with the exception of certain aspects, and if they have the cash to bankroll their quest for perfection, then they'd go for a custom build of a "perfectified" Fender.

S.P.[/quote]

It's an odd practise as they usually have them made like the original, albeit exotic woods, petrified ivory and golden balls.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='440730' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:04 PM']that top wood is gorgeous :) did you say you were leaving it natural? An amber or blue stain on there would look gorgeous to me![/quote]

I was going to have an amber stain but I think it'll look fine natural.

I've only just come into this build thread - very, very interesting. Love the pics. I live pretty close to Mike - only a ten minute drive really, so I pop in fairly regularly - a bit less since the Bass Merchant moved, though. Very nice guy, enjoy his company.

Good luck with the bass, I look forward with great anticipation to more pictures of the completed bass!

[quote name='steve' post='445377' date='Mar 25 2009, 08:19 PM']thats an ace fretboard[/quote]

I'm glad you think so. I must admit, I'm having trouble getting a 'feel' of what the instrument will be like mainly because there is nothing to pick up and put on my lap yet and the jots haven't been joined.

[quote name='Mike' post='444887' date='Mar 25 2009, 12:26 PM']Good luck with the bass, I look forward with great anticipation to more pictures of the completed bass![/quote]

Thanks Mike. This thread will be active all the way through the build and probably beyond.

Okay, I visited the workshop today and it was time to tackle the contouring now we finally have a body to work on.

Mike tends to favour very soft, rounded contours on his own basses but that's not really to my taste. With the exception of the forearm ease, I prefer something more angular especially on the edges that do not require heavy contours. so rather than uniform soft curves this bass will feature a combination of square-ish angles and softened areas. We started with Mike taking the edge of the whole body with sort of angled drill bit (I'm sorry, I can't remember what it's called)

Then it was time to attack it with a very noisy disk sander. It was a terrifyingly, quick process and the wood rapidly came off it great clouds of dust.

Edited by Spoombung

I really like how it's turning out. My only doubt about that body shape is about the position the bass wil stay in when you play sitting. It will be too low on your leg and this could make slapping a bit tricky. Other than that, I really like it! This is the problem of all the small bodies, though.