Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='387805' date='Jan 21 2009, 05:52 PM']I think that you set the tone for this thread when you posted the picture with the mosaic'd-out lower horn.

S.P.[/quote]

Yes, you maybe right. And now nobody's going to take me seriously or give me the credit I deserve for my brilliant, designer bass brain.

Okay, unfortunately these pics haven't come out that well due to cheap camera and flash (it's actually a very sophisticated drawing, I'll have you know) but have a look and see what you think. I think there's a clear winner there myself but I'm interested to hear what you think.

Have a listen to one of my tracks while you decide: [url="http://tinpanalley.biz/spoombung/I%20Saw%20Spoombung%27s%20Daughter%20Consumed%20by%20Kirby%20Dots/03-Enter%20Valentino%20Welding.mp3"]Enter Valentino Welding[/url]

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='388208' date='Jan 22 2009, 09:05 AM']Definitely A from my view point, it just looks perfect[/quote]

Yes. I think I agree. A version of 'A'. Looking at those drawings again - Jeez, the lower horn is long - so I might consider shaving off another cm or so.

That lower horn is troubling me from a strength point of view - there's a lot of short grain and therefor weakness.

I'm thinking if the body were a laminated sandwich type then the centre laminate could be placed at an angle to give some long grain in the horn which would strengthen it a lot, but machining the body shape would then become a little more tricky as the grain would be running out at all sorts of weird angles - a bit like trying to get a clean edge on plywood, no matter how you went at it you'd be working against the grain.

Just my thoughts. I love what you're doing with this. Can't wait to see it taking shape.

[quote name='Longmayyourun' post='388282' date='Jan 22 2009, 10:26 AM']That lower horn is troubling me from a strength point of view - there's a lot of short grain and therefor weakness.

I'm thinking if the body were a laminated sandwich type then the centre laminate could be placed at an angle to give some long grain in the horn which would strengthen it a lot, but machining the body shape would then become a little more tricky as the grain would be running out at all sorts of weird angles - a bit like trying to get a clean edge on plywood, no matter how you went at it you'd be working against the grain.

Just my thoughts. I love what you're doing with this. Can't wait to see it taking shape.[/quote]

You share the same concerns as me. I'm going to have to chat about it with the builder - I know nothing about woods and grains - so I'll have to trust him. I do remember loads of people saying the same things about Pedulla horns but I've never heard any horror stories about them - so there's obviously a trick to it.

Right, as you can see, I thought I might as well try bringing the lower horn in line with the bottom of the bass (it makes a lot of sense aesthetically). First I sawed off a couple of cm's on the hardboard model and - Hey Presto - it doesn't seem to have any adverse effect on anchoring the bass in the pivot position I want. The other advantage is I can now definitely get the bass into a gig bag. Great, I'm nearly there.

Next up: the headstock.

[quote name='Mikey R' post='388327' date='Jan 22 2009, 11:11 AM']Hey, did you choose a builder? I cant remember...[/quote]

Yes - it's been a difficult decision, but I've had to base it on locality so it'll be Mike from 'Zoot'. They work in Witham, Essex - an hour and a half's drive from me

without trying to chuck a spanner in the works, i thought headstock B.
A would be ok, if the first half, ie next to the nut, represented teh rest of the bass by being slightly more in tune with the shape of the horns, ie rounded ( or possibly protruding out a bit more. I hope this makes sense.
Good diary this.
I hope it all works out OK.
Cheers

Matt