Why become a member? ×

Spoombung Zoot Bass

Spoombung

[quote name='BigRedX' post='384932' date='Jan 19 2009, 01:28 PM']For pickups I'd have a look at [url="http://www.q-tuner.com/"]Q-Tuners[/url] - alexclaber has them on his bass so he'll be able to give you a good idea of how they sound, I'd also look at the ACG pre-amps for Wal-type tones, especially the 01 model if you're going for a two pickup bass which gives you the most flexibility, however that means getting Alan to build the bass for you as it's now the only way of getting this version of the pre-amp.[/quote]

+1 on that.

I have used Q-Tuners in several builds and I think they have the "pianoesque" clarity and depth you may be looking for Kev
If you need some sound files I'll try and find a few I have.
I have a copy of Erno Zwaan's book on Pickup and bass building if you want a read of it. It has a very interesting section on building necks as Erno will not use truss-rods or any reinforcing as he firmly believes it ruins the tone and creates "dead spots" on the board.
His method is to machine the neck slightly bowed so that string tension alone pulls it into place. A lot of hand finishing and trail and error but the results speak for themselves. And it helps if you use ebony for the whole neck....

[attachment=18983:Q_Jazz001.jpg]
This sounded amazing , way better than any Fender I have heard , they are excellent pups and look the business.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='386705' date='Jan 20 2009, 08:48 PM']+1 on that.

I have used Q-Tuners in several builds and I think they have the "pianoesque" clarity and depth you may be looking for Kev
If you need some sound files I'll try and find a few I have.
I have a copy of Erno Zwaan's book on Pickup and bass building if you want a read of it. It has a very interesting section on building necks as Erno will not use truss-rods or any reinforcing as he firmly believes it ruins the tone and creates "dead spots" on the board.
His method is to machine the neck slightly bowed so that string tension alone pulls it into place. A lot of hand finishing and trail and error but the results speak for themselves. And it helps if you use ebony for the whole neck....

This sounded amazing , way better than any Fender I have heard , they are excellent pups and look the business.[/quote]

Hi Paul

I was wondering when you would pitch in - I could do with your experience. That bass of yours in the pic looks great, BTW.

I'm desparate to hear these Q-tuner pickups - a lot of people are talking about them - so if you could find me some sound files I would be really grateful.

You're probably going to hate me for this... but I'm thinking of putting in EMG Hz's in it - there seems to be nothing but derision handed their way on the internet forums but I recently tried a ESP bass with them in and really liked the sound - sort of 'Flat' and slightly compressed in the upper mids and generally a bit zingy. That kind of suits what I do on the bass as I'm not looking for a hairy, old vintage sound. I'm stalling the project 'till I make up my mind about pickups. As I mentioned before on this thread, it's giving me a headache - mainly because there is a lack of soundfiles on the net and music shops are almost exclusively filled with Warwicks, Peaveys and Ibanez's. You can't hear a Q-tuner or an Alumitone or an ACG anywhere.

Zwaan's book sounds like a gas.. but I think I'll give it a miss for the time being.

Let me know if you can find the Q-tuner soundfiles, Paul!

Kev

Like the headstock doodles. Again have a look what [url="http://www.gusguitars.com/product.php?model_id=6"]Gus (second from the left)[/url] does for 3+1 and [url="http://www.skjolddesign.com/index.php/4"]Skjold[/url] for 2+2 with a 'bobble' at the top.

If you'd like I'll try and find time at the weekend to put together some Alumitone sound clips for you from my fretless Helix. The sound is clear and detailed but might be lacking in 'weight' compared with the Wal. Also on mine the output is very low, especially compared with the my Gus and ACG pre-amp equipped basses that are the ones I use most often. The Gus basses in particular have a massive output even in passive mode that puts most active basses in the shade!

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='386887' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:45 PM']The Gus basses in particular have a massive output even in passive mode that puts most active basses in the shade![/quote]

Do you find that using the same pre amp means you can get similar sounds from each bass?

Edited by Spoombung

Well, I'm just preparing the final drawing before it goes off to the builder. It's been a bit slow today due to some little errors - I expanded the scale length half an inch to 31" but I moved the neck the wrong way in relation to the body and had to start again. D-oh!

Tonight I'll be mostly sketching headstocks - but to aid me I've finished a scaled-down drawing of the body and neck to help judge the appearance a bit easier. If any of you look at this thread late at night I might have a few more drawings up here for your delectation if I get around to posting them. It's a good thing I've taken some time off work as I wouldn't be able to do this sort of thing normally (cough).

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='387704' date='Jan 21 2009, 04:41 PM']What about making the headstock the same shape as the body, albeit smaller?

S.P.[/quote]

A sensible suggestion for once! ;) That's not a bad idea - I'll sketch it out tonight but it might look as if I've caught an octopus on the end of the neck or something. It also might look like a Ritter.