Why become a member? ×

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

bassfan

9 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

How are you finding it? I have one and it seems to do a lot of things fairly well but I keep wondering if I should have gone for separate pedals instead.

I’ve had 2 now, they’re very good when songwriting “I wonder what chorus would sound like here...” etc.

I buy effects and sell them, I rarely actually use them. So this is ideal, and also the tuner feature and volume pedal are ideal.

In terms of my needs, it’s ideal.

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I buy effects and sell them, I rarely actually use them. So this is ideal, and also the tuner feature and volume pedal are ideal.

Aye, those are really handy. I only use a few of the features, mainly the sustain, defretter and overdrive, and getting a decent compressed sound involves a bit of faffing about. Likely it's just me being daft, though.

We've got our first gig in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how happy I am with it after I've heard the recording.

• Like 1

Just now, lozkerr said:

Aye, those are really handy. I only use a few of the features, mainly the sustain, defretter and overdrive, and getting a decent compressed sound involves a bit of faffing about. Likely it's just me being daft, though.

We've got our first gig in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how happy I am with it after I've heard the recording.

Just daft things like “a really fuzzy bass sound might work here” - so you twist something and it’s there. No endless menu and preset scrolling.

And much cheaper than buying a load of separate pedals 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve had 2 now, they’re very good when songwriting “I wonder what chorus would sound like here...” etc.

In terms of my needs, it’s ideal.

A Yammy BB user and pedals mainly for creative home use rather than gigging. That's a pattern of behaviour I can relate to! 

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m so out now, this year I have bought...

A new 210

A new posh tweed gig bag

a Boss ME50B

a new bass

The gig bag (strings or pedal board) would have been fine, it's just everything else that tripped you up as far this thread is concerned...😄 

@bassfan did try to argue that a swanky new amp and TKS cab were required "to get the most out of his basses", but he would have been better off buying a really swanky set of strings with a free bass thrown in. Missed a trick there. 

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The gig bag (strings or pedal board) would have been fine, it's just everything else that tripped you up as far this thread is concerned...😄 

@bassfan did try to argue that a swanky new amp and TKS cab were required "to get the most out of his basses", but he would have been better off buying a really swanky set of strings with a free bass thrown in. Missed a trick there. 

I don’t need anything to be fair it’s all want. I certainly don’t need another bass. The Status does everything I need 😈

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

“These 3? I’ve had them for years!”

*pooooooff* you’re back in the game.

Works all the time in our house.

I lied through my teeth about gear to my first wife, hide things from my second, but now I'm straight about it. Third wife actually encourages me to buy more!

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Dunno about back in the game, more like back on the game (and that's a reference to you, Dave, and not your third wife, for the avoidance of doubt!) 😁

Hopefully you mean back in the game and not back on the game!

(oops, I should have read you post properly!!)

Edited by FinnDave

23 hours ago, lozkerr said:

How are you finding it? I have one and it seems to do a lot of things fairly well but I keep wondering if I should have gone for separate pedals instead.

My experience of multifx is that they have been improving leaps and bounds over the past few years. Not sure when the ME50B was originally released?

As the available chip processing power has increased so has the quality and realism of the effects patches. The Zoom B3N was a revelation in terms of a relatively budget multifx 3 years back and has recently been re-packaged into the smaller form and even more value for money B1-4. It's pretty good, but never made me think I could replace dedicated pedals at the 'harder' modelling end: synth, filter, drive and octave up & down. 

Helix has taken it to the next level, although at a considerable price premium to the Zoom pedals, and a lot of folk have dispensed with their entire pedal board. It doesn't have a synth engine and can't compete with my Boss SY-1 for example, but otherwise it's pretty close to being a one stop shop for me.

38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My experience of multifx is that they have been improving leaps and bounds over the past few years. Not sure when the ME50B was originally released?

As the available chip processing power has increased so has the quality and realism of the effects patches. The Zoom B3N was a revelation in terms of a relatively budget multifx 3 years back and has recently been re-packaged into the smaller form and even more value for money B1-4. It's pretty good, but never made me think I could replace dedicated pedals at the 'harder' modelling end: synth, filter, drive and octave up & down. 

Helix has taken it to the next level, although at a considerable price premium to the Zoom pedals, and a lot of folk have dispensed with their entire pedal board. It doesn't have a synth engine and can't compete with my Boss SY-1 for example, but otherwise it's pretty close to being a one stop shop for me.

I sat with a Helix rack for a week. It was full of weird and wonderful sounds - the depth of sounds and editing was impressive. The sound quality was great.

In all honesty, I found it exhausting to use - I personally would much rather forego a bit of fidelity for ease of use.

At the end of the day you could have a Helix or something similar and use a great bass but bad strings or a deteriorating cable - thus rendering all of that “extra” quality useless.

At the dog and such band showcase on a Friday, nobody will care...

I see the point for studio use, but for gigging and rehearsal I don’t want more of a headache - I want to make sure the songs are played well.

The ME 50b is about as plug and play as you can get, without the faff of setting up individual pedals. And I’m all about low stress set ups and pack down. So it works perfectly for me - it sees minimal use, so anything more would be a waste of time and money.

Anyhow...back on topic 😂

Edited by AndyTravis

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like you were never "out" as far as 2020 goes and perfectly entitled to join the trainee hairshirt monk brigade!

last year I bought a Future Impact pedal.

But I haven't got round to actually using it...

17 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

last year I bought a Future Impact pedal.

But I haven't got round to actually using it...

You can definitely join this club, lol! I have to confess that's exactly the same amount of use I managed to put all THREE FIs I've ever owned! 😁

Fortunately for you, there is now a very clever BCer in the shape of @Quatschmacherwho is managing to get some great synth patches created, which he is kindly sharing with those of us luddites who find our square waves constantly getting confused with our VCOs... 

Just now, Al Krow said:

You can definitely join this club, lol! I have to confess that's exactly the same amount of use I managed to put all THREE FIs I've ever owned! 😁

Fortunately for you, there is now a very clever BCer in the shape of @Quatschmacherwho is managing to get some great synth patches created, which he is kindly sharing with those of us luddites who find our square waves constantly getting confused with our VCOs... 

unfortunately to be able to download them, I would need to purchase a midi thing, which would then get me kicked out of this group again 😆

2 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

unfortunately to be able to download them, I would need to purchase a midi thing, which would then get me kicked out of this group again 😆

How about I loan you my midi thing for free? 

• Like 1