Jump to content
bassfan

2020 Gear Abstinence thread.....

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

How are you finding it? I have one and it seems to do a lot of things fairly well but I keep wondering if I should have gone for separate pedals instead.

I’ve had 2 now, they’re very good when songwriting “I wonder what chorus would sound like here...” etc.

I buy effects and sell them, I rarely actually use them. So this is ideal, and also the tuner feature and volume pedal are ideal.
 

In terms of my needs, it’s ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I buy effects and sell them, I rarely actually use them. So this is ideal, and also the tuner feature and volume pedal are ideal.

Aye, those are really handy. I only use a few of the features, mainly the sustain, defretter and overdrive, and getting a decent compressed sound involves a bit of faffing about. Likely it's just me being daft, though.

We've got our first gig in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how happy I am with it after I've heard the recording.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lozkerr said:

Aye, those are really handy. I only use a few of the features, mainly the sustain, defretter and overdrive, and getting a decent compressed sound involves a bit of faffing about. Likely it's just me being daft, though.

We've got our first gig in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how happy I am with it after I've heard the recording.

Just daft things like “a really fuzzy bass sound might work here” - so you twist something and it’s there. No endless menu and preset scrolling.

And much cheaper than buying a load of separate pedals 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve had 2 now, they’re very good when songwriting “I wonder what chorus would sound like here...” etc.

I buy effects and sell them, I rarely actually use them. So this is ideal, and also the tuner feature and volume pedal are ideal.
 

In terms of my needs, it’s ideal.

A Yammy BB user and pedals mainly for creative home use rather than gigging. That's a pattern of behaviour I can relate to! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m so out now, this year I have bought...

A new 210

A new posh tweed gig bag

a Boss ME50B

a new bass

The gig bag (strings or pedal board) would have been fine, it's just everything else that tripped you up as far this thread is concerned...😄 

@bassfan did try to argue that a swanky new amp and TKS cab were required "to get the most out of his basses", but he would have been better off buying a really swanky set of strings with a free bass thrown in. Missed a trick there. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

A Yammy BB user and pedals mainly for creative home use rather than gigging. That's a pattern of behaviour I can relate to! 

Well if the sound ends up fitting, it will be gigged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The gig bag (strings or pedal board) would have been fine, it's just everything else that tripped you up as far this thread is concerned...😄 

@bassfan did try to argue that a swanky new amp and TKS cab were required "to get the most out of his basses", but he would have been better off buying a really swanky set of strings with a free bass thrown in. Missed a trick there. 

 

I don’t need anything to be fair it’s all want. I certainly don’t need another bass. The Status does everything I need 😈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only got three new basses so far this year, surely the rules aren't that strict??? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I've only got three new basses so far this year, surely the rules aren't that strict??? :)

“These 3? I’ve had them for years!”

*pooooooff* you’re back in the game.

Works all the time in our house.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

“These 3? I’ve had them for years!”

*pooooooff* you’re back in the game.

Works all the time in our house.

I lied through my teeth about gear to my first wife, hide things from my second, but now I'm straight about it. Third wife actually encourages me to buy more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno about back in the game, more like back on the game (and that's a reference to you, Dave, and not your third wife, for the avoidance of doubt!) 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lozkerr said:

How are you finding it? I have one and it seems to do a lot of things fairly well but I keep wondering if I should have gone for separate pedals instead.

I had one years ago ...prefer separate stomp boxes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Dunno about back in the game, more like back on the game (and that's a reference to you, Dave, and not your third wife, for the avoidance of doubt!) 😁

Hopefully you mean back in the game and not back on the game!

 

(oops, I should have read you post properly!!)

Edited by FinnDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bass that arrived between Christmas and New Year has just gone for de-fretting and one of my baritone ukes has just been electro'd which I don't think count, otherwise I'm still OK for now might even last until June - bigger amp and custom uke type thing planned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, lozkerr said:

How are you finding it? I have one and it seems to do a lot of things fairly well but I keep wondering if I should have gone for separate pedals instead.

My experience of multifx is that they have been improving leaps and bounds over the past few years. Not sure when the ME50B was originally released?

As the available chip processing power has increased so has the quality and realism of the effects patches. The Zoom B3N was a revelation in terms of a relatively budget multifx 3 years back and has recently been re-packaged into the smaller form and even more value for money B1-4. It's pretty good, but never made me think I could replace dedicated pedals at the 'harder' modelling end: synth, filter, drive and octave up & down. 

Helix has taken it to the next level, although at a considerable price premium to the Zoom pedals, and a lot of folk have dispensed with their entire pedal board. It doesn't have a synth engine and can't compete with my Boss SY-1 for example, but otherwise it's pretty close to being a one stop shop for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

My experience of multifx is that they have been improving leaps and bounds over the past few years. Not sure when the ME50B was originally released?

As the available chip processing power has increased so has the quality and realism of the effects patches. The Zoom B3N was a revelation in terms of a relatively budget multifx 3 years back and has recently been re-packaged into the smaller form and even more value for money B1-4. It's pretty good, but never made me think I could replace dedicated pedals at the 'harder' modelling end: synth, filter, drive and octave up & down. 

Helix has taken it to the next level, although at a considerable price premium to the Zoom pedals, and a lot of folk have dispensed with their entire pedal board. It doesn't have a synth engine and can't compete with my Boss SY-1 for example, but otherwise it's pretty close to being a one stop shop for me.

 

I sat with a Helix rack for a week. It was full of weird and wonderful sounds - the depth of sounds and editing was impressive. The sound quality was great.

In all honesty, I found it exhausting to use - I personally would much rather forego a bit of fidelity for ease of use.
 

At the end of the day you could have a Helix or something similar and use a great bass but bad strings or a deteriorating cable - thus rendering all of that “extra” quality useless.

At the dog and such band showcase on a Friday, nobody will care...

I see the point for studio use, but for gigging and rehearsal I don’t want more of a headache - I want to make sure the songs are played well.

The ME 50b is about as plug and play as you can get, without the faff of setting up individual pedals. And I’m all about low stress set ups and pack down. So it works perfectly for me - it sees minimal use, so anything more would be a waste of time and money.

Anyhow...back on topic 😂

Edited by AndyTravis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AndyTravisyou and are I very much on the same page with regard to so much of the sentiment you've eloquently expressed above! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't bought anything this year so far, am I back in? :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Haven't bought anything this year so far, am I back in? :) 

Sounds like you were never "out" as far as 2020 goes and perfectly entitled to join the trainee hairshirt monk brigade!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like you were never "out" as far as 2020 goes and perfectly entitled to join the trainee hairshirt monk brigade!

last year I bought a Future Impact pedal.

But I haven't got round to actually using it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

last year I bought a Future Impact pedal.

But I haven't got round to actually using it...

You can definitely join this club, lol! I have to confess that's exactly the same amount of use I managed to put all THREE FIs I've ever owned! 😁

Fortunately for you, there is now a very clever BCer in the shape of @Quatschmacherwho is managing to get some great synth patches created, which he is kindly sharing with those of us luddites who find our square waves constantly getting confused with our VCOs... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Al Krow said:

You can definitely join this club, lol! I have to confess that's exactly the same amount of use I managed to put all THREE FIs I've ever owned! 😁

Fortunately for you, there is now a very clever BCer in the shape of @Quatschmacherwho is managing to get some great synth patches created, which he is kindly sharing with those of us luddites who find our square waves constantly getting confused with our VCOs... 

unfortunately to be able to download them, I would need to purchase a midi thing, which would then get me kicked out of this group again 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

unfortunately to be able to download them, I would need to purchase a midi thing, which would then get me kicked out of this group again 😆

How about I loan you my midi thing for free? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just bought an AA battery charger and some batteries for use in my Line6 wireless sender. Does that count as a purchase?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

How about I loan you my midi thing for free? 

ooh, that could work. Will pm you.

ta!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



  • Similar Content

    • By TrevorR
      OK, so we’re all going stir crazy... here’s a little quiz I saw somewhere else to pass the time and channel all those pent up creative urges... Post up a recreation of a famous album cover using just bits and bobs found around your (locked down) house. First person to guess can then post their own and so on... I’ll start us off...

    • By Jaime Tortosa
      Hope you like it! Consider to subscribe, because there will be more videos
    • By lurksalot
      November's Composition Challenge is now underway
      Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, @lurksalot...
      We don't seem to have had a firework picture in November for a few years , so I'll offer you this one 

      Rules:
      Avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive. Make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds and samples in your track. Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition. Pipes of the 'bag' and 'pan' variety are strictly prohibited.
      The deadline for entries is midnight on Saturday 24th November.
    • By Skol303
      Voting has now started on January's Composition Challenge.
      Firstly thanks to November's winner, Mornats, for choosing this month's inspirational image.
      Secondly, thanks to everyone who took part. We have a bumper crop of thirteen entries! Well done guys 
      Please vote for your top THREE favourites:
      1) fleabag 'Feed Your Head'
       
      2) Leonard Smalls 'Free Form Funghi Freakz (FFFF Baby)'
       
      3) lurksalot 'Buckley Nights'
       
      4) Mornats 'The Mushroom Dance'
       
      5) DJpullchord 'Monday 06:49 PM'
       
      6) Doctor J 'View With A Shroom'
       
      7) lowdown 'Psilocybin Experience'
       
      8) Bastav 'Similar Shapes'
       
      9) Skol303 'Amanita'
       
      10) Bleat 'Where The Wild Mushrooms Grow'
       
      11) SH73 'Bass Groove M (mshr`ms) Re'
       
      12) MoonBassAlpha 'Grotto To Risotto'
       
      13) Dad3353 'Hell's Bells ...'
       
      Voting ends at midnight on Thursday 1st February.
    • By Skol303
      As is now tradition, we’re ending the year with a Basschat Cover Song Challenge: a selection of songs, all mercilessly butchered beautifully interpreted by members of this ‘ere community.
      If you ever needed an excuse to don a pair of headphones and blissfully ignore your relatives for half an hour over the Christmas period… This. Is. It. Listen at your leisure and then vote for your top three favourites:
       
      Dad3353 ‘Paradise Circus Waltz’ (original by The Alligators)
      MoonBassAlpha ‘Driving Aloud (Radio Storm)’ (original by Robyn Hitchcock)
      fingers211 ‘Silver Metropolitan Astronut’ (original by Neil Innes)
      christofloffer ‘Spinning Away’ (original by John Cale & Brian Eno)
      Mornats ‘Upside Down’ (original by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein)
      lurksalot ‘Wheels (OTB)’ (original by Verna Hills)
      Skol303 ‘3AM’ (original by Thundercat)
      xgsjx ‘Sonic Boom’ (original by Westworld)
      fleabag ‘In A Broken Dream’ (original by Python Lee Jackson)
       
      Voting ends at midnight on New Year’s Eve.

×
×
  • Create New...