Why become a member? ×

Gretsch G2220 bass

spectoremg

Not played one but I saw a bassist using one at a gig and it had a really nice sound, so much so that I went and asked her what bass it was. Difficult to describe as it was now a few years back but do remember thinking at the time her sound was great.

• Like 1

I bought and then sold one on the marketplace here. Lovely bass, really enjoyed how different it was. Sounded great. In the end it only went because there's other basses to try and only so much space to store them.

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Ta for all the posts guys. I pulled the trigger on a red (walnut) one at PMT last night. I've ordered some flats for it (I'm used to nylon coated strings) and I'll get it set up as soon as. 

20191127_173211.jpg

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

IMG_7162.JPG

Amazing - the redness is actually leaking out of the guitar and colouring the whole room!

• Haha 1

On 24/11/2019 at 18:49, Storky said:

I’m thinking of getting one, but wonder if they’re neck heavy?

They aren't actually neck too heavy if you see what I mean. The balance is quite near the front, but they weigh so little it is hard to say, actually surprisingly light.

• Like 1

First thing: they're not neck heavy. I've been using mine with a non grippy strap and the balance is fine. 

Also I'm loving this bass:

1. Short scale - comfy as he'll to play. 

2. Passive, no piddling about with batteries and I can leave it plugged in without fear of draining the battery. 

I've also put flats on it (Elites Detroits) and I'm loving 'em. 

It also has a remarkably subby sound from low G down to E. 

• Like 3

I had the pleasure of trying one at my local guitar shop when I was looking for my first bass. Coming from guitar playing a short scale bass was appealing. I tried this model and like it a lot. Confortable, light. It sounded very nice but be aware of quality control issues. The one that I tried sounded good but the fret work was poor and the bridge pick up wasn't working (maybe the switch broke). It was brand new, out of the box. Definitely felt cheap compared to the Mexican fenders that I also tried.