Why become a member? ×

Thumbing

aceuggy

Was just reading the thread on whether to use a pick or your fingers. Well I like to use my fingers, but don't like the sound I produce. I'm not very good at it, so I use a pick, I'm not very good at that either TBO, but I prefer the sound I get. However, I recently tried using just my thumb and that produces a nice fat sound that I like. Is there any reason not to just use my thumb? Just edited to say that when I use my thumb it's not slapping, but just plucking.

Edited by aceuggy

I sometimes find myself using my thumb for some slow songs or where I want more of a thud.

I mainly use fingers but also use a pick on occasion, thumb and also slap certain things- not Mark King slap but more Larry Graham slap over the pickup rather than over the top frets. Sounds completely different

[quote name='aceuggy' post='373871' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:53 AM']Was just reading the thread on whether to use a pick or your fingers. Well I like to use my fingers, but don't like the sound I produce. I'm not very good at it, so I use a pick, I'm not very good at that either TBO, but I prefer the sound I get. However, I recently tried using just my thumb and that produces a nice fat sound that I like. Is there any reason not to just use my thumb? Just edited to say that when I use my thumb it's not slapping, but just plucking.[/quote]

Good enough for Robbie Shakespeare!

You can achieve a lot by moving your right hand playing position between the bridge and the neck. Its a lot brighter when you pluck the strings near the bridge and a lot warmer as you move towards the neck (this applies to both fingers and pick). You will also need to change your eq when you put the pick down or pick it up as the whole chain of fingers/pick/eq/amp/speaker combination contributes to the overall sound.

The secret is to experiment.

Personally, I started on a pick because I was playing in HM bands but it quite quickly became apparant that the fingers option was more versatile. Its also one less thing to forget!

[quote name='Galilee' post='373989' date='Jan 8 2009, 01:24 PM']I doubt that you can play very fast with just your thumb though?[/quote]

This was my thought exactly. I sometimes use my thumb with index finger to play adjacent strings similar to playing a Root and 5th chord but without the mud. I would like to see someone use thumb exclusively though without looking quite silly.

[quote]It's one of the many techniques Sting uses[/quote]
I feel like saying, "If Sting had gone through life relying solely on his bass playing to feed himself, he would have led a very hungry existence" but there are probably a few Sting fans here... so I won't :)

[quote]Is there any reason not to just use my thumb?[/quote]
None at all...but it's highly unlikely that you will become an accomplished player.

Steve

[quote name='SteveK' post='374185' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:26 PM']I feel like saying, "If Sting had gone through life relying solely on his bass playing to feed himself, he would have led a very hungry existence" but there are probably a few Sting fans here... so I won't :huh:
Steve[/quote]

:huh: :huh:
Very good..
I think he was hungry about 15 years ago.....
That might be why Darryl Jones had to help him out for a while... :)

Good song writer though.

Garry

[quote name='SteveK' post='374185' date='Jan 8 2009, 04:26 PM']None at all...but it's highly unlikely that you will become an accomplished player.

Steve[/quote]

[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAa2ktmWFc"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RdAa2ktmWFc[/url]

[quote name='Alun' post='374291' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:18 PM']Very nice :) Reminds me a bit of Bobby Vega's pick playing.

Cheers
Alun[/quote]

Ta. That was pretty much the idea. I decided a while back that I would like a palm muted pick sound but with leaving a couple of fingers free for some plucking.

Bit chuffed you noticed to be honest!

:huh:

Paul.

EDIT. I realise it is like BV after talent bypass surgery.

Edited by paul h

[quote name='paul h' post='374346' date='Jan 8 2009, 07:32 PM']Ta. That was pretty much the idea. I decided a while back that I would like a palm muted pick sound but with leaving a couple of fingers free for some plucking.

Bit chuffed you noticed to be honest!

:)

Paul.

EDIT. I realise it is like BV after talent bypass surgery.[/quote]

:huh: It sounds great, I'm going to have to try it! Incidentally, speaking of Mr Vega there are some great recent clips on [url="http://www.bassplayer.tv"]http://www.bassplayer.tv[/url] ( go to BP Live 2008, then Clinics and scroll down ) if you haven't already seen them.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='SteveK' post='374281' date='Jan 8 2009, 06:08 PM']:)[/quote]

I'm not sure what that emoticon means. I'm guessing: ho hum!

If so, I wouldn't agree that Robbie Shakespeare wasn't accomplished. Maybe no Victor Wooten, but surely one of the most individual and sought-after players of his time?