Why become a member? ×

Motown 50th Anniversary

casapete

Just watched great programme on Motown's 50th anniversary presented by Martin Freeman.
Featured some current footage of the Funk Brothers, Bob Babbit etc.
There is an extended repeat showing on Friday 9th on BBC2 at 11.35pm (The Culture Show) which should be even better.

[quote name='casapete' post='372552' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:47 PM']There is an extended repeat showing on Friday 9th on BBC2 at 11.35pm (The Culture Show) which should be even better.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up! - I have a date with the telly :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='372730' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:04 AM']I loved the Bass Bob B was playing but gosh, didnt he look old and i thought a bit out of it?[/quote]

Yeh - I was a bit taken aback by that and how frail Uriel looked. Eddie looked well for his age though but then, guitarists have an easy life.

I nearly drove off the road in shock and disgust when I heard the climax of the Top 30 selling Motown singles on Radio 2 last week... all those wonderful classics, Jamerson oozing from the speakers, but have a guess what was [u]the[/u] best selling Motown single of all time? Grapevine? Signed Sealed Delivered? Dancing In The Streets?
Nope.
I Just Called To bastid well Say I Love You. The lamest pile of drivel imaginable.
I just don't get Stevie Wonder. How can the man responsible for the genius of I Wish and Superstition also be to blame for that bag o' sheeite..?

[quote name='Rich' post='372757' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:29 AM']I nearly drove off the road in shock and disgust when I heard the climax of the Top 30 selling Motown singles on Radio 2 last week... all those wonderful classics, Jamerson oozing from the speakers, but have a guess what was [u]the[/u] best selling Motown single of all time? Grapevine? Signed Sealed Delivered? Dancing In The Streets?
Nope.
I Just Called To bastid well Say I Love You. The lamest pile of drivel imaginable.
I just don't get Stevie Wonder. How can the man responsible for the genius of I Wish and Superstition also be to blame for that bag o' sheeite..?[/quote]

All the grannies bought it, people who don't buy records normally and who probably had no idea about Stevie or Motown or anything good ..
It was that or Cliff's Mistletoe and Whine(sic), probably

[quote name='Rich' post='372757' date='Jan 7 2009, 09:29 AM']I nearly drove off the road in shock and disgust when I heard the climax of the Top 30 selling Motown singles on Radio 2 last week... all those wonderful classics, Jamerson oozing from the speakers, but have a guess what was [u]the[/u] best selling Motown single of all time? Grapevine? Signed Sealed Delivered? Dancing In The Streets?
Nope.
I just don't get Stevie Wonder. How can the man responsible for the genius of I Wish and Superstition also be to blame for that bag o' sheeite..?[/quote]
I don't agree it’s drivel. Most of Motown's output was 3 minute pop songs. Hind sight seems to have turned Motown into something it was never intended to be. OK so they had some good songs and many talented people working for them but Motown was always radio oriented, teenager targeted chart fodder. They had the good fortune to hire James Jamerson and he happened to get bored with the simple root/fifth stuff he was being asked to play and decided to take bass playing to another level, but Motown was always a sales oriented company, so their top 30 list shouldn't be a surprise.

I watched it but was a bit disapointed. It was a bit short but i'll be watching the extended one when it's on.Not a mention of JJ anywhere tho',if there was i missed it.It was great to see the Funk Bro's but Bob looked a bit shaky......or pissed.
Still.......it's been a good week for Motown fans on the beeb this week. :)

[quote name='casapete' post='372552' date='Jan 6 2009, 10:47 PM']Just watched great programme on Motown's 50th anniversary presented by Martin Freeman.
Featured some current footage of the Funk Brothers, Bob Babbit etc.
There is an extended repeat showing on Friday 9th on BBC2 at 11.35pm (The Culture Show) which should be even better.[/quote]
Nice one, thanks for the heads up. I'm out playing tonight and I couldn't find it on the digibox - it showed up as " Martin Freema ....." which didn't exactly ring any bells! I'd never have known but for your post, ta muchly.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='375621' date='Jan 9 2009, 08:35 PM']The worst version ever of Dancing in the street was by Mick Jagger and David Bowie. abysmal.[/quote]

+1. They really look like they're having a laugh in the video too, which makes me doubt their intentions murdering a Motown classic really!