Why become a member? ×

Attendance question..

Faithless

In a week, or so, I'll be auditioning for one of most best (in musical way) lithuanian pop (pop/hip-hop/fusion stuff actually) bands...

They're looking for permanent bassist, and, the problem is, that I'm [i]maybe[/i] going away to some academy/uni in UK next September to study bass.

What I fear is, if I would mention this (about going away) to them, they probably could decline my 'candidacy', as there are plenty other good bassists in capital, as I suppose.. (btw, I am from other city, about an hour road..)

When their band member mentioned that they're searching for new bassplayer, I've contacted their management myself and asked to audition - it seemed to me, that I was the only one so far (that was just before Christmas).

I'm really looking forward to the audition, cuz I like their music so much, and also would like to try myself in pop scene (if anyones here remembers, my last try failed, but that wasn't my fault anyway..), buuut, I dunno if I should mention the thing about my studies in the audition... :)

Even worse, I am not actually sure at the moment, if I'd be [i]able[/i] to study in UK, due to financial reasons, so it becomes even more messy.. Daaah :huh:

What do ya think, guys, I should do - mention it Now, or later (for eg., in June - ooooh, you see I've got an offer from academy XXX...)

Or shouldn't I even audition?

Cheers,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

Actually, they have[i] been[/i] very successful a few years ago (err,actually five, or so), but, due to some band leaders' problems, they've went into 'underground' a bit, doing some others projects, buut, now, reunited, and introduced a new album a few weeks before.

It's kinda hard to answer, cuz actually they have quite big fanbase, but, on the other hand, it's a bit of doubt if they'll ever be that popular as they were.. Because they're now denying any TV shows and stuff, though, gigging in other countries and stuff..

Lastly, if they're not 'potential enough', they however could be a bridge for me into more serious stuff, cuz people here[i] know[/i] what is this band.

Did I answer your questie, mate?

Faith

Edited by Faithless

The [i]maybe[/i] means that you have 2 separate and independent decisions to make.... try to join the band now and [i]maybe[/i] go to Uni at a later date.
Uni may not materialise so don't say a word. Join the band and see where it takes you. Good luck.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='367062' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:34 PM']The academy will teach you how to play your bass. Working with the band will teach you so much more. Looks better on the CV too.[/quote]

+1. Go for it mate. You can always study afterwards. :)

Edited by s_u_y_*

It's a tough question, and not as straightforward as I first thought. My initial reaction was that you can't audition and not tell them that you will be going - really doesn't seem fair! However, if it has the potential to be a 'major' thing, and could possibly cause you to defer your studies then I would say definitely go for it. As mentioned before you could probably learn more than if you were studying! If you think that it's going to be a big thing, you get the job but it doesn't work out great, then that's the time to consider the studies. I wouldn't tell them that there was a plan B all along though, I don't see that it would be good for anyone for that information to see the light.

[quote name='chris_b' post='367191' date='Dec 31 2008, 04:07 PM']The [i]maybe[/i] means that you have 2 separate and independent decisions to make.... try to join the band now and [i]maybe[/i] go to Uni at a later date.
Uni may not materialise so don't say a word. Join the band and see where it takes you. Good luck.[/quote]

Absolutely. You will have many opportunities to study bass, you will have limited opportunities to join a big(ish) band. I think you'd regret it if you didn't go for it.

If being a musician is what you want to do with your life then in my (limited) experience playing in a (even only moderately) successful band is far more useful than the college course. It gets you out there showing people that you can play and work as part of a band. You'll probably get to meet far more useful people as well.

[quote name='ARGH' post='367165' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:45 PM']Say nowt,go for the band![/quote]

+500

go for the band and DO NOT MENTION your future study "plans". Gives you an easy exit route and you're not actually obliged to start the course anyway even if you've won a place on it...

So, the story goes...

I've e-mailed their managment with intention to audition for their band. Gave 'em my own web's adress and stuff, mentioned that my tutor (who, by the way, is helping them occasionally) could give some feedback about me.

That was done three days before Christmas. No answer for two days. Then, one day till Christmas I've called their managment and mannerly asked if they got my e-mail. Mag said "oh yes, I've also re-sended it to all band membs, we now know about ya"..
The conversation in general was quite nice, she promised to call me after New Year. OK.

And now, nine days after New Year, no message from 'em. I've e-mailed 'em again, two days ago, mentioning what songs I've learned during holidays and asking if they would be OK for audition, also mannerly expressing wish to meet, when they are able.
Guess what? Oh yes, no answer again.

What's F_CKING sad, that I've:
1. Spent my holidays (New Year's night also..) trying to nail the songs in and out, despite my aching picking hand, and, all in all, situation is just LIKE THIS.
2. Not prepared my apply to abroad universities yet, just because of lack of time (nailing the songs) and hope, that'd stay in home for a while, playing with them.

Well, ok, learning songs (despite aches and stuff..) and not applying for abroad studies was my choice and fault, but I think it's not fair to act like this for them.

Or is it just me?

I just dunno what to do now, and I'm starting to be [i]very [/i]dissapointed about all this.. So, what, Call them again? Wait? Or tell 'em "f_ck you, I'm going out abroad to study"?

If you're reading this at this point, you [i]must [/i]have some suggestions to me.. :)

BTW, I've called my tutor few days ago, in an intention to meet, and also asked, if they've called them to talk about me. You're right again, he didn't get any goddamn call.

[quote name='Faithless' post='374542' date='Jan 8 2009, 10:32 PM']So, the story goes...[/quote]

I feel your disappointment but hang on in; you know how flakey musicians can be.

You haven't lost anything by learning their sh*t. Guaranteed you're a better player now than you were a couple of weeks ago. Maybe you should be applying for that course anyway, so whether or not they get back to you you have a choice of what to do.

Sorry, obvious stuff really. Good luck.

It is of course possible that someone there reads Basschat, or even stumbled on this thread checking how the band ranks on Google. It can be dangerous to discuss your plans too specifically in an open forum. It's also possible they are just taking a long time to sort out the applicants. Do you even know when they plan to hold the auditions? That would have been a good question to ask when you had someone on the phone, as then you'd know whether you need to panic.

However, you don't sound like the type to take no for an answer, so I'd stay quiet about it on here and keep phoning. When you get through, sound calm and professional, ask what the audition dates are, try and find out if you're in the running and if there's anything you can do to increase your chances. Be enthusiastic, but not too eager. See where that gets you, at least you should then know more where you stand.