Why become a member? ×

Glarry GP bass review

ped

Just now, rmorris said:

Interesting stuff.

A couple of related queries. You mention notes choking at the first couple of frets. Doesn't this make the instrument as is basically unplayable or was it only when bending etc ?

Related to that - unless I missed it - there's no mention of the neck relief or any truss rod adjustment you made.

Would be good if you could clarify these points.

Thanks again for the review.

I seem to remember that changing the strings did enough to remedy the choking. Perhaps I loosened the truss rod a little bit can’t remember now. It wasn’t terrible but definitely another reason I couldn’t go as low as I liked without some adjustments. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

All I can say is that as a professional guitarist, owning several quality instruments

, I bought a White Glarry precision bass second hand, to use on recordings.

As others have noted, even with the Bridge bottomed out, the action was too high, and there was a slight neck bow.

So I inserted a shim under the neck where it’s bolted to the body, tightened the truss rod, raised the bridge slightly, and now it is completely playable and has a nice bright sound for recording. Agreed it doesn’t have a lot of bottom end, but you can compensate with eq on the recording, or amp if you’re using it live. 

The only downer is that the body is really too light so it’s neck heavy, but for the price I personally endorse it as a brilliant instrument. 

Edited by Rick Stills
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, 4stringvengence said:

what did you use for a shim? think i have same issue with mine.

It was a slice of hardback book cover! If I was keeping it then i'd probably file the bridge saddles with some abrasive cord instead.

• 8 months later...

The net really is just society in microcosm. Guy buys a budget bass and seems kinda ok with it until a light bulb goes on and he realizes he can pander to the herd better if he talks about how, yes, it’s dirt cheap, but if you think that’s a good idea for a beginner, you’re wrong… and of course the really weak sheep chime in with their self-applause about how “this is bad for a beginner since they’re making GOOD beginner guitars…”. Right. For 3, 4 & 5x the price. 

and for the guy who said “they’re just building down to a price point”, I wish you were in arms reach so I could beach-slap you and do you the biggest favor of your pathetic life. 

I must be the one exception who got a good bass from Glarry. Maybe it’s just good karma though; it pays to not being a whiny meow meow sometimes. You all should give that a shot lol. 

And no, I have no connections to glarry. And I bought a pick guard that I had to re-connoiter, and it still fits weird. But I knew I didn’t have a “p bass”, so…I knew it was a project.  yeah, all that work, and i STILL love the way it looks now, yellow with a green pearl PG. The neck and the rosewood fretboard are worth AT LEAST the price of the whole bass. You could have a collection of nice necks and f-boards with which to do some experimenting with building guitars if you weren’t so busy sucking each other off verbally. 

have i said yet how much I hate your weak, whiny asses? Well, that goes quadruple, azz’oles. Buncha critics 😂 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, GHfingerblast said:

The net really is just society in microcosm. Guy buys a budget bass and seems kinda ok with it until a light bulb goes on and he realizes he can pander to the herd better if he talks about how, yes, it’s dirt cheap, but if you think that’s a good idea for a beginner, you’re wrong…

Well that's one impressive "first post" on basschat! (not) 

Edited by MoJoKe
To add content
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GHfingerblast said:

have i said yet how much I hate your weak, whiny asses? Well, that goes quadruple, azz’oles. Buncha critics 😂 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Best introduction I’ve seen in a long while 😁

• Haha 3

The net really is just society in microcosm. Guy buys a budget bass and seems kinda ok with it until a light bulb goes on and he realizes he can pander to the herd better if he talks about how, yes, it’s dirt cheap, but if you think that’s a good idea for a beginner, you’re wrong… and of course the really weak sheep chime in with their self-applause about how “this is bad for a beginner since they’re making GOOD beginner guitars…”. Right. For 3, 4 & 5x the price. 

and for the guy who said “they’re just building down to a price point”, I wish you were in arms reach so I could beach-slap you and do you the biggest favor of your pathetic life. 

I must be the one exception who got a good bass from Glarry. Maybe it’s just good karma though; it pays to not being a whiny meow meow sometimes. You all should give that a shot lol. 

And no, I have no connections to glarry. And I bought a pick guard that I had to re-connoiter, and it still fits weird. But I knew I didn’t have a “p bass”, so…I knew it was a project.  yeah, all that work, and i STILL love the way it looks now, yellow with a green pearl PG. The neck and the rosewood fretboard are worth AT LEAST the price of the whole bass. You could have a collection of nice necks and f-boards with which to do some experimenting with building guitars if you weren’t so busy sucking each other off verbally. 

Can you show me whereabouts on the doll Basschat touched you?

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

It'll be interesting to see if he can do as well with the difficult second post.

I’m just looking forward to seeing the bright yellow P bass with a green pearl pickguard that fits weird.., sounds nice 😬😁

Just now, Reggaebass said:

I’m just looking forward to seeing the bright yellow P bass with a green pearl pickguard that fits weird.., sounds nice 😬😁

I'm quite interested in the concept of...

beach-slap

...I mean, there's a lot of beach to slap, particularly in areas like Norfolk, how do you deal with dunes etc?

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 21:30, yorks5stringer said:

Don't think any company will own up to their stuff being made in a sweatshop, but it has been proven in the rag ( clothing) trade that even with loads of 'accreditation' much of what is made is produced in working conditions and  with young workers that would make us blanch in the UK.

You have to be 18 to serve in China's armed forces. It's 16 in the UK.

Just to make the point we can all be criticised...

I know plenty about budget instruments. Rare indeed is the complete dog that can't be made reasonably playable.

Less rare is the beginner with a clue that this is even possible.

Cheap basses with a good setup are possible.

This is where HB stand out... because Thomann see them as a loss leader and want to turn beginners into returning customers.

P.S. I like a low action and none of my basses are shimmed.

2 hours ago, GHfingerblast said:

u ok hun?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You have to be 18 to serve in China's armed forces.

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I know plenty about budget instruments.

Stubbz, old man, this is neither the time nor place for your good natured, wisdom and common sense 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GHfingerblast said: