Why become a member? ×

What was the gear outcome of 2008 for you?

JimBobTTD

[quote name='ednaplate' post='365153' date='Dec 28 2008, 09:01 PM']IN

A gorgeous Fender Telecaster... sorry[/quote]

Having finally put mine together I'm staring to wonder why it took me so long to play one. I have never heard, or felt, so much bassiness :)

[b]In:[/b]
→ Fender American Deluxe Precision V (from Lysdexia – damn those models he gets to sell his basses!).
→ ACG's frankly excellent EQ02 pre-amp for the above.
→ Bartolini 8S pup set, new machine heads, new electrics, and a few other odds and ends for my Jap Precision.
→ Turbo RAT.
→ Far too many sets of strings.

[b]Out:[/b]
→ An equal number of sets of strings destined for the bin :)

An interesting year here - Mainly trading of stuff to get what I really wanted. Some new things tried and sold on. Most interesting was the fact that after owning two of them, the KingBass wasn't really for me & I really missed the Corvette $$ so bought another one.

[b]In:[/b]
Cocobolo Status Series II (1990)
Walnut Status KingBass
Fender S1 Jazz
Cocobolo Status S2-Classic BO 5
Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
Fender 2008 American Standard Precision
Squier VMJ Fretless
Fender Precision MIM Standard
Warwick Corvette $$
Yamaha BB614
Myrtle-wood Status S2-Classic 5

[b]Out:[/b]
My original Warwick Corvette $$ (to help fund 1990 SII)
Fender S1 Jazz (again, to help fund the SII)
Fender Marcus Miller Jazz (traded against S2-Classic BO 5)
Fender 2008 American Standard Precision (also traded against S2-Classic BO 5)
Squier VMJ Fretless
Hofner Violin bass (traded in against Marcus Miller Jazz)
Fender Precision MIM (traded for another Corvette $$)
Status KingBass Artist (lack of use forced sale)
Yamaha BB-614 (sold to pupil)

The result? See signature.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='367131' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:01 PM']Oh my... that's very tasty.

What are the screws? under the strings for?[/quote]

It's been refinished - the only reason that I could afford it to be honest!

The Charlie Christian pickup has a really odd design - as well as the blade magnet 'pole piece there are a couple of magnets which lay uner the guitar top too. The three screws locate on to them through bushes (and springs I think) to fix and govern the height and angle of the pickup on the guitar.

It's a safe bet that I won't be touching them though - I'd never get the screws back in if I adjusted them 'too much'!

Here we go then - 5 months of surprisingly hectic trading

[b]IN[/b]

Ibanez SR900
Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz
G&L 2000 Tribute
MIJ Fender Precision
Prosebass Fretless Humbucker Jazz
CIJ Fender Jazz

[b]OUT[/b]

Epiphone Thunderbird
Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz
G&L 2000 Tribute
Ibanez SR900

[b]SHAKE IT ALL ABOUT[/b]

Ashdown MAG 300 210T

(Which will be up on here soon to lighten the load on my back)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='367230' date='Dec 31 2008, 04:53 PM']Thanks for the info. The refinish looks very smart indeed. I think I prefer a good looking (and playing and sounding) guitar to one that's totally original but battered. I buy my instruments to play them.

Any chance of a pic of the other guitar too?[/quote]

Haven't photo'd the ES225 yet but here's a link to an identical one... and similar in condition too by the looks

[url="http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/1958%20Gibson%20ES-225T%20100%25%20Original%20Near%20Mint%20large.jpg"]http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages...int%20large.jpg[/url]

I know what you mean about original condition versus battered and used. I fall on the good orignal condition side of that argument out of preference to be honest. Not much of a fan of relicing (either genuinne or purposefully inflicted!) The 225 was obvioulsy bought in 57 by someone who loved it all there life (I am lead to understand that I'm owner number two - but for the two dealers it went through in the last year) orig case and some orig 'case candy' too.

I also know what you mean about using them - sadly, I'm not much of a guitar player myself a few chords is my limit really. But I've got mates who use some of my guitars from time to time.

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='367380' date='Dec 31 2008, 07:31 PM']Haven't photo'd the ES225 yet but here's a link to an identical one... and similar in condition too by the looks

[url="http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/1958%20Gibson%20ES-225T%20100%25%20Original%20Near%20Mint%20large.jpg"]http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages...int%20large.jpg[/url][/quote]

Now that is nice :)

Basses: -1 (0 in, 1 out)
Guitars: 0 (+1 in, +1 out)
Amps: 0 (0 in, 0 out)
Cabs: 0 (1 in, 1 out)
FX & misc: 0 (0 in, 0 out)

In detail:

IN

Ibanez Electric Guitar (2nd hand, leaving present from previous employer)
Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10 (cab built over the summer with father)

OUT

Ibanez SR900 sold when I moved and left my covers band
ELK 2x10" custom, also sold during the house move

---

Not a very eventful year from a bass perspective. Though personally, it has involved a substantial house move (Norfolk to Essex), new job, and birth of first child. I've got a very special and expensive custom Shuker due in 2009 to make up for it though :)

[quote name='peted' post='368285' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:33 AM']Not a very eventful year from a bass perspective.[/quote]

Lame.

[quote name='peted' post='368285' date='Jan 2 2009, 11:33 AM']I've got a very special and expensive custom Shuker due in 2009 to make up for it though :)[/quote]

Good save!

[b]IN[/b]

Ibanez GSR205BK
Ashdown MAG rig (600 head n 410 cab)
Line6 POD XT Live

[b]OUT[/b]

Errr, nothing, i believe...

Except, maybe, Laney RB8.. But, does Laney count anyway? :)

Oh, and I've just started GAS'sing for 5-string fretless...

Too bad here, in Lituano, that I'm 5-string lover and demander..

Edited by Faithless

I need to add something after today.

I went to Glasgow with cash in pocket. I went to Guitar Store, Merchant City Music, Reverb & GuitarGuitar and there was nothing there that I even wanted to pick up and play.

I was spoiled for choice, between the shops I had the choice of hundreds of good basses but nothing that i felt could top my gold bass.

I now believe that i am gas free. Once I sell my '57 Warmoth P bass, that will be me sorted for the foreseeable.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='369598' date='Jan 3 2009, 10:30 PM']I now believe that i am gas free.[/quote]

I say that to myself quite a bit too.

Today I moved my Trace Elliot cabs to the shop to trade them for a Marshall 1x15" and a Marshall guitar cab. I now have a vaguely portable rig (the 15" really is quite light) which, now that the band isn't going to get off the ground, will take up less space at home until another band is found.

Rig is now Bass > GK 400RB > Rane Comp (via FX loop) > Marshall 1x15". I can't get it much simpler and efficient than that. I see a 2009 with very few extra acquisitions ahead of me!

In:
Fender Jazz Standard - New model
Gigrig Midi 8 - (don't know how i coped without it)
Maxon AF-9 auto filter

Out:
Fender Jazz 5-string American Duluxe
Boss RC-2 Loop station
Korg G5
Akai Deep Impact
Jim Dunlop Bass Wah

First to go in 2009 could be my Ashdown Bentley 4x10" ex - Mark King cab, not sure yet!

As of last week i've now got a wedding to pay for!!! so, i can only imagine things are going out this year.
Anyone know of a band who does weddings at mate's rates!!?!

Ridiculous acquisition year for me having just this year joined a band after 6 years in the wilderness

BASSES +2 (none out)
AMPS +1 (2 in, 1 out)
CABS +1 (3 in, 2 out)
FX +7 (all in)

Details

IN

Musicman Bongo HH
Stagg EUB

Genz Benz Shuttle 6 210T
Fender BDEC (for my daughter honest)

Genz Benz Neox 112T
Peavey 210 TVX

Tonebone Bassbone
BBE Opto stomp
Boss PH3
Stereo Memoryman with Hazerai
Dave Hall dual overdrive
Pignose Envelope filter
Boss SYB3 (coming soon)

OUT

Peavey Mk 6 head
Peavey Megabox
Peavey 210TVX

I really dont want to add up the damage. :)

GAS Free (I friggin hope so)