Why become a member? ×

Bass-related presents

BigRedX

I had great presents.

I got three music theory books: Dave Stewart's [i]The Musicians Guide to Reading and Writing Music[/i] and [i]Inside the Music: The Musician's Guide to Composition, Improvisation and the Mechanics of Music[/i] (he was the keyboardist in National Health and not the guy from the Eurythmics) and Mark Levine's [i]The Jazz Theory Book[/i]

The Stewart books are short and straightforward introductions to theory by a 'rock' musician for 'rock' musicians and although I already know a little theory I can tell I will still learn things from them. The Levine book is more of a meisterwerk at over 500 pages - the BPM review says it 'could be the single finest music book of any type I've ever seen'.

My parents-in-law (well, I call them that but I'm not actually married) bought us a Roberts MP Sound-23 digital radio/CD player/iPod dock which will be blasting it out later when we are cooking.

I also got an iTunes voucher. So far I downloaded Donald Byrd [i]Mustang[/i], Count Basie [i]The Complete Atomic Basie[/i].

Also appearing in my household for Christmas (and sneaked onto my iPod late last night) are CDs by Chic, Laverne Baker, Primal Scream, Biffy Clyro, Cold War Kids, The Nightwatchman (i.e. Tom Morello), Kings of Leon, The Cure, Frightened Rabbit, and Pendulum.

So pretty successful all things considered. :)

[quote name='Starvolt' post='363700' date='Dec 26 2008, 02:38 PM']Which album?

Got them both, and I have to say, he efinitely has improved for the Fabled City, though One Man Revolution is awesome too![/quote]

One Man Revolution but only managed to give it a cursory listen so far. I thought it sounded good though and it's definitely going to get played a few times. It's my son's and he was a bit surprised when he first heard it (maybe expecting something a bit more Rage like) but he seems to be into it too.

My wife got me Bass Culture, the book about John Entwistle's guitar collection. Must have seen me looking at it but not buying. I was pleasantly surprised, the text comments are by Entwistle himself (I had assume it was posthumous) and he lets it be known which basses he liked and which are unplayable curiosities. About the Gibson EB02 the Ox says 'Boom, Boom, Boomity, Boom' and later the Epiphone Newport is described as even better. Makes me want to try one (if I ever see them for real). Also the first place I have ever seen Gibson's 'Moderne' shape.

Great record of a now scattered collection.

The Jazz Bass Book - John Goldsby (so good I can't believe it's legal, an example of how to write any book well)
Vol. 54, Maiden Voyage: Fourteen Easy-To-Play Jazz Tunes - Jamie Aebersold (brilliant for timid novice like myself)
The Jazz Theory Book - by Mark Levine (it's immense! - not sure where to begin with this one)

Thank you to the Basschat gurus who recommended these books on various threads.

[quote name='LDNgrl' post='363529' date='Dec 26 2008, 10:13 AM']I received a Squier P-Bass so now sat staring at it hoping that all of a sudden I will magically know how to play it![/quote]

Welcome to Basschat!
We've all been there and there's loads of encouragement avalable.
Best step by far, and well worth the investment, is to get a few lessons from proper tutor.

Bass present wise, Ms Oldgit got me an Auralex Gramma pad to go under my rig on stage.
Looking forward to trying that out in a real gig.

Oh and my new Japanese P bass arrived :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='363859' date='Dec 26 2008, 07:49 PM']Welcome to Basschat!
We've all been there and there's loads of encouragement avalable.
Best step by far, and well worth the investment, is to get a few lessons from proper tutor.

Bass present wise, Ms Oldgit got me an Auralex Gramma pad to go under my rig on stage.
Looking forward to trying that out in a real gig.

Oh and my new Japanese P bass arrived :)[/quote]

What he said!

That's where I started out (Except it was a Jazz, and it was November last year) and it is a great starting point! Lessons definitely help, though there's no harm in teaching yourself the basics!

Welcome to the low-end of music!

[quote name='Merton' post='363570' date='Dec 26 2008, 11:46 AM']My Xmas pressie to myself was an LH500. :)

Also got a Chick Corea CD with John Pattitcci on bass, so does that count?[/quote]

Which album? Chick's son is called Thad btw lol. Legend

My wonderful wife got me a bass clef copy of The Real Book - 6th Edition (it looks like the original illegal book but is fully copyrighted and contains a lot of different tunes). She also got me a Dan Morgenstern book, 'Living With Jazz'

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Jazz-Dan-Morgenstern/dp/037542072X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230322441&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Jazz-Dan-Mo...2441&sr=8-1[/url]

and the 'Trio of Doom' cd with Jaco/Tony Williams/John McLaughlin.

She's a diamond.

But my best Christmas present was the Christmas Eve news that my Paul Chambers biography book proposal has been accepted by a legit publisher!! Early days yet, in terms of the thing appearing in print, but, nevertheless, what an affirmation and what timing!!!!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='363874' date='Dec 26 2008, 08:18 PM']But my best Christmas present was the Christmas Eve news that my Paul Chambers biography book proposal has been accepted by a legit publisher!! Early days yet, in terms of the thing appearing in print, but, nevertheless, what an affirmation and what timing!!!![/quote]

Congrats on that Bilbo. I'm already looking forward to reading it.

My girlfriend bought me a bass! A Squier deluxe active jazz V in black. To add to it she also got the neck plate engraved bless her sweet heart. well pleased and its my new modding project which will hopefully pop up in build diary soon.

I also got a 5 way stand, strings, schaller locks, rock and roll!