Jump to content
Mook

Heartbreaker Led Zeppelin

Recommended Posts

Just an appreciation post for John Paul Jones bass sound on Heartbreaker. Drove to work to it this morning and forgot just how huge it sounded.

The big wobbly gritty in your face bass sound is so aggressive I love it. Would love to use that sound all the time but probably wouldn't get many gigs. 

 

 

Edited by Cat Burrito
typo in title!
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way he and bonham kick back in after the breakdown, then raise the roof shortly after is phenomenal rhythm section work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first listened to the second Led Zep album, I accidentally played side 2 before I played side 1.

The first song I heard was Heartbreaker.

Around that time (early 70's) I'd been reading a Michael Moorcock book entitled The Land Leviathan a sci-fi fantasy about an alternate history where warlords with gigantic armoured vehicles dominated the Earth. Jones' sound immediately made me think of a huge, city-sized tank and the impression has always stayed with me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

 

Around that time (early 70's) I'd been reading a Michael Moorcock book entitled The Land Leviathan a sci-fi fantasy about an alternate history where warlords with gigantic armoured vehicles dominated the Earth.

Thread derail - I have many fond memories of reading the Eternal Champion series.

As you were.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Thread derail - I have many fond memories of reading the Eternal Champion series.

As you were.

Worked my way through the Hawkmoon books just a couple of months ago. First time in about 20 years.

I always preferred Hawkmoon to Elric, Corum and Erekose :)

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

 

I always preferred Hawkmoon to Elric, Corum and Erekose :)

Likewise. I also found Jerry Cornelius very entertaining, if often confusing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

Worked my way through the Hawkmoon books just a couple of months ago. First time in about 20 years.

I always preferred Hawkmoon to Elric, Corum and Erekose :)

This is bringing back memories.....

Gloriana was my favourite book of his

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

This is bringing back memories.....

Gloriana was my favourite book of his

That's a good one and marks a pivot away from warrior fantasy to just plain weird while still keeping one foot in the multiverse, e.g. Una Persson cropping up in alternate form as Countess Una of Scaith.

Anyway, people, it's not ackshually a derail :)

John Paul Jones performed alongside Ian Paice at the Sunflower Jam in 2012. Paice played on the Nektar album Spoonful of Time with Nik Turner who as a member of Hawkwind recorded Warrior On The Edge of Time, a 1974 album specifically about The Eternal Champion with Moorcock providing the overall concept and vocals on two tracks.

Ta-dah! Four degrees of John Paul Jones.

Edited by skankdelvar
One error, one conjunction.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mook said:

Just an appreciation post for John Paul Jones bass sound on Heartbreaker. Drove to work to it this morning and forgot just how huge it sounded.

The big wobbly gritty in your face bass sound is so aggressive I love it. Would love to use that sound all the time but probably wouldn't get many gigs. 

 

 

Back in the day I'm sure I blew out the puny speaker in my Binatone cassette player listening to that at max........9_9

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...