Why become a member? ×

Bass Player's United.

bubinga5

Yes the FaceBook one. So someone posted about Rickenbacker basses and what people didn't like about them. Got Deleted. People asked what the problem was. I couldn't see a problem discussing it. Just like I wouldn't care if people discussed what they didn't like about any other bass. I posted and asked what the problem was. Was deleted from the group. Not going to loose any sleep over it. But I've got to say the guy who admins it is a proper clown.  

10 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Yes the FaceBook one. So someone posted about Rickenbacker basses and what people didn't like about them. Got Deleted. People asked what the problem was. I couldn't see a problem discussing it. Just like I wouldn't care if people discussed what they didn't like about any other bass. I posted and asked what the problem was. Was deleted from the group. Not going to loose any sleep over it. But I've got to say the guy who admins it is a proper clown.  

Sounds like it

I know the guy who runs BPU and he’s a really nice guy (or certainly was to me). Given the history of Ric’s on this forum because of the tactics employed by certain senior staff of theirs, I don’t blame anyone for simply wanting to avoid the topic altogether.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

Seriously though I can totally understand any site or company not wanting to get involved in the sale of Rickenbackers due to fakers being offered, but to restrict the discussion of Rickenbackers is a bit silly. Sure lots of people don't like them, but lots of people don't like all sorts of basses. If every time a brand got a bad post the discussion got shut down then they'd be pretty boring discussions. It's good to know the positives and negatives about different basses. 

It's one thing avoiding the potential for trading in instrument copies that may infringe copyright and thus be illegal and incur genuine litigation, quite another for an independent social media platform to ban discussion of a particular instrument on either aesthetic or functional grounds if it is any way negative. The first time I see a mod's post on here saying 'by the way we can't say anything negative about such and such any more, sorry' will probably the day I stop posting here.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 16:59, bubinga5 said:

Is his name Coco 🤡

We are not offending old people. We are not offending disabled people. We are merely disscussing a brand that makes millions from making instruments that some people dont like. Its ok to offend as long as its in a constructive way. To be honest the forum was turning into an endless Alder or Ash argument. Or show your bass face endlessly. And Ok of course this is all good fun. But im kind of glad its not on my FB feed anymore. Im sure hes a lovely guy and i shouldn't have called him a proper clown. But it was all too.lets not offend anyone in any way. If anyone told me my Sei bass was stinky poo i would in a second get over it.

Edited by bubinga5

On 29/04/2019 at 10:55, KevB said:

It's one thing avoiding the potential for trading in instrument copies that may infringe copyright and thus be illegal and incur genuine litigation, quite another for an independent social media platform to ban discussion of a particular instrument on either aesthetic or functional grounds if it is any way negative. The first time I see a mod's post on here saying 'by the way we can't say anything negative about such and such any more, sorry' will probably the day I stop posting here.

Maybe John Hall threw his toys out of the pram and threatened legal action like he did here on BassChat. Which is why the mods here have very specific rules regarding Rickenbacker?

1 hour ago, Dood said:

Maybe John Hall threw his toys out of the pram and threatened legal action like he did here on BassChat. Which is why the mods here have very specific rules regarding Rickenbacker?

Dan the whole page was very sensitive about hurting anyones feelings. Which is all well and lovely, but as we all know people have opinions..There is a line to be drawn of course. None of us want any hate or total disregard for anyones playing or feelings.

But it was just a question about a particular bass manufacturer and what people may/might not like about Rikenbackers. Whats the problem.? I don't see Fender getting upset when someone said they didn't like the tone of a Jazz bass, or the opinion of any other instrument. Im afraid that particular FB group was a way too stifling. Im not sure John Hall can sue a FB group for having an opinion on his instruments, absolutely not. 

Edited by bubinga5

35 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Dan the whole page was very sensitive about hurting anyones feelings. Which is all well and lovely, but as we all know people have opinions..There is a line to be drawn of course. None of us want any hate or total disregard for anyones playing or feelings.

But it was just a question about a particular bass manufacturer and what people may/might not like about Rikenbackers. Whats the problem.? I don't see Fender getting upset when someone said they didn't like the tone of a Jazz bass, or the opinion of any other instrument. Im afraid that particular FB group was a way too stifling. Im not sure John Hall can sue a FB group for having an opinion on his instruments, absolutely not. 

Sadly I didn't see the post in question hence my question. A shame if that's the case.

- Yeah you are quite right, JH "can't" sue anyone, but it didn't stop him waiving his will(y) around on BassChat threatening all sorts. Some may say he is well within his rights to protect the brand of course.. 

4 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Try dropping the Warwick bomb in a Spector forum! I once asked why Spector fans get their tits in a tangle about Warwick whereas Fender fans don't seem to get stressed about the multitude of Fender copies... Well, now I know in no uncertain terms that US Spector fans in particular really, really care about copyright laws... 😄

On 30/04/2019 at 16:17, Dood said:

He can threaten all he likes, you simply can't take that kind of legal action against someone giving an honest opinion as long as it is accurate and the evidence is there. The issue with the potential for selling copyright - infringing copies is entirely different and in that case BC did the right thing in steering clear.

Edited by KevB

I agree wholeheartedly on the copyright stuff; give it a very wide berth, but how long have opinions needed to be evidence-based?

I think Ritters look like something concocted in a woodwork class. Does that leave me open to the threat of litigation; of course not?

Edited by skb558