Why become a member? ×

John Hall?

Ricky 4000

6 hours ago, NikNik said:

You actually believe in human spontaneous combustion? Tell me more.....

It was a metaphorical reference - those spouting vitriol and smoking at the same time are likely to explode. 

Ive heard of self combustion also!! 

I must say that these reposts against Mr Hall do remind me somewhat of the 'Benzedrine puff adder' once used as a description of Basil Fawlty..... they just seem to be insults to me.

In the early days of Internet forums and before, presumably lawyers or even doctors advised against company officials saying daft things, the likes of John Hall (if indeed it was him behind the user name) were occasionally embroiled in heated exchanges with people on forums. Sometimes these were hilarious not only for the responses from company names but the level of ire in the posts - to the extent I did wonder if rival company employees weren't behind some of it. I've seen individuals banned for very good reason and then pop up again on, say Talkbass to bemoan it!! Not that I'm saying anyone in this thread is in those categories. 

However the internet has moved on as has liability for stuff posted there and some of the stuff referred to in this thread, entertaining though it is for some (perhaps not John Hall) is possibly from relatively ancient history. Also bullying on the Internet is probably illegal these days 🤔 Just pointing this out......

My own view is we should just get on and enjoy the wonderful instruments and ignore the individuals - a bit like we do with Fender, who still seem capable of making guitars where the truss rods snap within a short time and then take a while to fix it satisfactorily. However they've also generally upped their game - though not to the extent of some of the smaller approaching boutique level people like EBMM, PRS etc etc - maybe Rickenbacker. 

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

Hank's finishing up his time in a back office behind the photocopier room, staring at his executive desk toy (one of those dipping bird things) and thumbing through the sits vac pages, his lips moving as he reads the words.

The new management are a squad of neo-millennial hedge fund wonks headed up by the bloke who used to run a jeans company, possibly Levis. The musical instrument world holds its breath.

Hankie J had had to go. Shitbird X? He had go to after that. And the home audio. And the robotuners. And the top half of a Canadian Tuxedo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

It was a metaphorical reference - those spouting vitriol and smoking at the same time are likely to explode. 

I must say that these reposts against Mr Hall do remind me somewhat of the 'Benzedrine puff adder' once used as a description of Basil Fawlty..... they just seem to be insults to me.

In the early days of Internet forums and before, presumably lawyers or even doctors advised against company officials saying daft things, the likes of John Hall (if indeed it was him behind the user name) were occasionally embroiled in heated exchanges with people on forums. Sometimes these were hilarious not only for the responses from company names but the level of ire in the posts - to the extent I did wonder if rival company employees weren't behind some of it. I've seen individuals banned for very good reason and then pop up again on, say Talkbass to bemoan it!! Not that I'm saying anyone in this thread is in those categories. 

However the internet has moved on as has liability for stuff posted there and some of the stuff referred to in this thread, entertaining though it is for some (perhaps not John Hall) is from relatively ancient history. Also bullying on the Internet is probably illegal these days 🤔 Just pointing this out......

Yeh, you're right about bullying. But JH wouldn't bat an eye about that. As the song says, 'Money changes everything.'

14 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I'm gonna go right out and say the Fender Performer was the Austin Allegro.

That's an Austin Allegro that I would own in a heartbeat. I'd love to have a Performer bass.

11 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

However the internet has moved on as has liability for stuff posted there and some of the stuff referred to in this thread, entertaining though it is for some (perhaps not John Hall) is from relatively ancient history. Also bullying on the Internet is probably illegal these days 🤔 Just pointing this out......

Fella - I have been personally insulted by Hall. I can't stand the man. He is fair game in my books.

Edited by NikNik

Anyway.....it hasn't been proved that JH is not still at the helm of RIC; he'll be guiding it on his death-bed, I should wager. Good on him. Hopefully he'll have learned some manners, embraced progress, and gained a few more customers in the process. I'd like to be one of the latter again. One day.

4 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Anyway.....it hasn't been proved that JH is not still at the helm of RIC; he'll be guiding it on his death-bed, I should wager. Good on him. Hopefully he'll have learned some manners, embraced progress, and gained a few more customers in the process. I'd like to be one of the latter again. One day.

What?!!!

Nine pages of it and we still don't know if he's gone?

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

Chris Martin IV is passionate about Martin guitars and everyone agrees he's the nicest man in the biz.

DSC_9715.jpg

Although, judging (yes, I knowwww) by this pic, with the aesthetic restraint of a hyperactive magpie...I haven't seen such bling since that TV crew were invited into Five Star's communal house back in the 90s...

Just now, Muzz said:

Although, judging (yes, I knowwww) by this pic, with the aesthetic restraint of a hyperactive magpie...I haven't seen such bling since that TV crew were invited into Five Star's communal house back in the 90s...

I met him once at an event. He was extremely cordial. True story.

21 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

Indeed. I'd sleep with him if he was carrying cash....

Bernie is totally good looking. Have you seen the cool little beard he's sporting this year?

Alternatively, I do wonder what Jean Tod's Mrs sees in him...

27 minutes ago, Rich said:

That's an Austin Allegro that I would own in a heartbeat. I'd love to have a Performer bass.

Fair one, me too ... but the analogy stands on grounds that it was a suddenly modern design, that didn't last long in production.

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 1