Why become a member? ×

Has Scott Devine become insane ?

Hellzero

21 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Didn't he say that he never plays an active bass in active mode in his diatribe on tone? I may have extrapolated from him saying that he always plays in passive mode.

I'm not sure actually.  I don't watch that many of his YouTube vids and only watched this one as it was mentioned here.  I did watch his top 10 basses though, plenty of active only basses on that list.  Also his 2 signature basses are both active, seems strange if you never play active!

• Like 1

Ive never had a lesson in my life. Completely self tought. I used to learn songs using the "hit every note on every string until it sounds right, then remember it, and move on to the next note" method.

I burned tapes out by continually rewinding and playing songs using the above method to learn them.

If i wanted to learn the official tab to a song, a book from the local music shop would cost around £20. Which when i was younger that was a substantial outlay - i got around £5 a week spending money. The song i wanted was always in the same book as 10 i didnt want to! (remember that!).

There was no internet to get sheet music from, or to source any tab, tutors where very expensive (and tought the same old same old rubbish), there was no method of getting hold of backing tracks without bass on to play along to - AND now i come to remember there was no way of getting a song to learn unless you bought it!

So, all in all, ANY lessons online - given the millions out there - has to be good value in comparison!

14 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

I hasten to say, I don't subscribe. I'm puzzled by the lack of rock/metal stuff. All the content I've seen is jazz or fusion based and is just too polite for me and much too clean. However, my indifference to the genre probably has a lot to do with this viewpoint.

Learn all the things about 'music' you can, then apply them to your chosen genre through the lens of 'you', simple as that.
Thinking that you should or can only learn specific things within the genre you like is only going to stunt your musical growth.

Si

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Didn't he say that he never plays an active bass in active mode...

Richard Bona is the same, bypassed his Fodera preamp since forever, not sure what he does with the new Markbass sig.

Si

You dudes... recorded a quick vid for ya's as I thought it'd be easier than writing an essay...

I'll upload it this morning and post in here... but in the meantime, fear not, I haven't gone insane, and for those that seem interested all is OK with my wife too. ;)

Gimme an hour, I'll be back with ya.   

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, devinebass said:

You dudes... recorded a quick vid for ya's as I thought it'd be easier than writing an essay...

I'll upload it this morning and post in here... but in the meantime, fear not, I haven't gone insane, and for those that seem interested all is OK with my wife too. ;)

Respect.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Lovely, just give me a quick mention would you please? Something like "Ricky 4000 is awesome". 😀

Perhaps he could give you some tips on your reggae / ska technique?

Something like 'Aaaargh! Make it stop Ricky! Please god, make it stop!!! :o'

Something like that? :laugh1:

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, devinebass said:

Doh... already recorded the vid mate, so I'll do it here...

Ricky 4000... YOU ARE AWESOME! ;) 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :o

You shouldn't encourage him! EVER!!! :D

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Learn all the things about 'music' you can, then apply them to your chosen genre through the lens of 'you', simple as that.
Thinking that you should or can only learn specific things within the genre you like is only going to stunt your musical growth.

Si

Yeah, that's true Si and I have and do do that, but for whatever reason the whole fusion genre just turns me off.

Edited by Wolverinebass

9 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

You know what quote is going in my signature don't you... 🤪

Is it this ?

13 minutes ago, Teebs said:

'Aaaargh! Make it stop Ricky! Please god, make it stop!!! :oScott Devine

:D

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, devinebass said:

Its good to have you back and on this forum!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Maybe we should ask him about hiring Carol Kaye for a video? ... You ask - I'm too shy.

@devinebass, Ricky 400 is too shy to ask, but he'd like a Carol Kaye video, if possible? 👍

(I think this is a good idea too :) )

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Teebs said:

@devinebass, Ricky 400 is too shy to ask, but he'd like a Carol Kaye video, if possible? 👍

(I think this is a good idea too :) )

Thank you.

110%... I was speaking to the team about her yesterday saying we need to get something set up.

Joe Dart's at the top of the list at the mo though, just trying to figure some stuff out around that. Was supposed to be hooking up in LA a few weeks back but stuff didn't line up - I will make sure it does though. For me, Carol is at the top of that list too...

Also, someone on here mentioned Pino... he's defo on the list of peeps I wanna land, it's a little complex because of his schedule and a few other moving parts. He's also a private dude too, so I'll have to do some serious sweet talking. ;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, devinebass said:

Also, someone on here mentioned Pino [...] He's also a private dude too, so I'll have to do some serious sweet talking. ;)

Do Pino a special video too! (not like that, you creeps!)

Maybe the sheer number of comments the video would get will pursuade him to get involved :D

Edited by Rikki_Sixx
Typo
  • Like 1