Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

joe_geezer

12 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Upon reflection I get that a bit, but all the basses I've bought from new were pristine in the beginning. To commission such a beautiful bass, wait 2 years for it, then realise you can't play it even at home is such a pity. In this instance I'd keep it and cherish it; just like the twenty plus other beautiful basses in my collection.

I guess if your a bass collector then so be. However if you purchase an instrument for the purposes of gigging and earning dosh, then for me the bass needs to serve the function it was build for. I gigged a Jaydee Roadie acctive 2 for many years and it never let me down. In the end they weight of it forced me to move it on and switch to a much lighter bass. The Jaydee had some scars of battle, but nothing serious. The guy I sold it to sprayed it pink. Each to their own.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

I guess if your a bass collector then so be. However if you purchase an instrument for the purposes of gigging and earning dosh, then for me the bass needs to serve the function it was build for. I gigged a Jaydee Roadie acctive 2 for many years and it never let me down. In the end they weight of it forced me to move it on and switch to a much lighter bass. The Jaydee had some scars of battle, but nothing serious. The guy I sold it to sprayed it pink. Each to their own.

Yes, I've inadvertently become a collector over the past 40 years whilst also playing in bands during that time. I'm fortunate I guess to have had the funds and space to indulge myself until such time as my health or finances necessitate a change of priorities. Playing bass has been a lifelong love of mine but I'm grateful it's never needed to be my living.

I fully undestand how a bass that suits us in our twenties may not do so several years, or even decades later. I've moved on basses including a Wal and an even heavier Ovation Magnum for that reason too.

It's just a shame when someone is enthusiastic enough to commission what is obviously going to be a pristine instrument at the beginning but then feel unable to enjoy it due to the fear of adding signs of use.

Edited by Sparky Mark

14 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Upon reflection I get that a bit, but all the basses I've bought from new were pristine in the beginning. To commission such a beautiful bass, wait 2 years for it, then realise you can't play it even at home is such a pity. In this instance I'd keep it and cherish it; just like the twenty plus other beautiful basses in my collection.

My bass was an '86 which I bought in poor cosmetic condition. The bass in the pics is that same bass after Toby Diggins worked his magic back at the factory. All up, between purchase and refurb, it owed me a grand. I got £1,450 out of it. New Roadie IIA is  £1,500 and Supernatural Series III is £1.900. Once it was finished, mine was neither of those, so I did ok.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

My bass was an '86 which I bought in poor cosmetic condition. The bass in the pics is that same bass after Toby Diggins worked his magic back at the factory. All up, between purchase and refurb, it owed me a grand. I got £1,450 out of it. New Roadie IIA is  £1,500 and Supernatural Series III is £1.900. Once it was finished, mine was neither of those, so I did ok.

That's perfect and I'm glad you're happy with the deal. Of course money isn't everything but you probably could've asked for a fair bit more for such a uniquely beautiful bass. I'm just disappointed I missed the opportunity to buy it myself! 

40 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

It looks like that 5er may only have been used for that one song? Perhaps it was a requirement of his Status sponsorship deal that he was to use it at least once every gig?

He was with Alembic at the time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

Yes, I've inadvertently become a collector over the past 40 years whilst also playing in bands during that time. I'm fortunate I guess to have had the funds and space to indulge myself until such time as my health or finances necessitate a change of priorities. Playing bass has been a lifelong love of mine but I'm grateful it's never needed to be my living.

I fully undestand how a bass that suits us in our twenties may not do so several years, or even decades later. I've moved on basses including a Wal and an even heavier Ovation Magnum for that reason too.

It's just a shame when someone is enthusiastic enough to commission what is obviously going to be a pristine instrument at the beginning but then feel unable to enjoy it due to the fear of adding signs of use.

I am even more grateful that playing bass as a semi pro allowed me to enhance my income togerher with my day Job. There have been times when I was unemployed, that playing became my only income and allowed me keep my head above the water.@JohnFitgerald is at peace with his decision. My last bass before I retired from playing was an an incredibly well finished NYC sadowsky, which would have looked lovely in a display case or the like. Not for me. That bass got gigged 2-3 times per week for 10 years and has the battle scars to prove. Nevertheless I got an excellent price for it when I moved it on.

I have never developed a sentimental relationship with guitars and have a rule that if there is an item in my home that doesn't get used over a 12 month period, the off it goes. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

It looks like that 5er may only have been used for that one song? Perhaps it was a requirement of his Status sponsorship deal that he was to use it at least once every gig?

The song needed a 5 for the bass-line and was recorded with a 5. No big mystery. He also had a 5 string StingRay when that album was recorded and that features on a number of tracks on Guaranteed. He ordered both a 4 and 5 StingRay in 1989-90.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

I am even more grateful that playing bass as a semi pro allowed me to enhance my income togerher with my day Job. There have been times when I was unemployed, that playing became my only income and allowed me keep my head above the water.@JohnFitgerald is at peace with his decision. My last bass before I retired from playing was an an incredibly well finished NYC sadowsky, which would have looked lovely in a display case or the like. Not for me. That bass got gigged 2-3 times per week for 10 years and has the battle scars to prove. Nevertheless I got an excellent price for it when I moved it on.

I have never developed a sentimental relationship with guitars and have a rule that if there is an item in my home that doesn't get used over a 12 month period, the off it goes. 

That's a very sensible philosophy that I wish I could follow too. The only two basses that I have a real attachment to are my Stingray (bought with my first student grant cheque in 1982) and my 1991 Warwick Thumb NT. My Jaydee will probably fall into that category as the only bass I've ever had built for me. The others form part of my retirement pension pot if I'm lucky enough to get there.

4 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

There are always exceptions. Here is Jaco with a 5

http://i.imgur.com/TTPOt5p.jpg

He also had a 5 string acoustic.

But like MK he will always be associated with 4

Didn't Jaco have, or at least, play a Jaydee too at one point? Vaguely recall seeing pictures of him with a fretless one (only a 4-string though!). :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

Apparently John Diggins made 5-6 basses for Jaco but he died before receiving them...

Yes, someone on here admitted to having one in their collection a few years back.  They were basically black, Jaydee-made jazz basses, nothing special. 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2022 at 02:35, Kiwi said:

Yes, someone on here admitted to having one in their collection a few years back.  They were basically black, Jaydee-made jazz basses, nothing special. 

Yes and no, in context of times, ebony fingerboard and active EMG pick-ups would have been a bit unusual but otherwise a '62 jazz bass.

Edited by GeeCee
  • Like 1