Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

joe_geezer

56 minutes ago, joe_geezer said:

A lot of the bass legends seem to stick with 4 strings, yea they might dabble in another brand's 5 string but generally stick to their 4 string brand.

I think Jaydee have so many orders that it just wouldnt be efficient for their production line to accommodate to much diversity.. (im only guessing and have no real knowledge on this so take this with a pinch of salt...  )

He was rocking the Status Matrix 5 in that video. I think he’s currently using the Jaydees for Level 42 but he still plays the Statuses regularly. He was using the Status Kingbass when he did the Taylor Hawkins tribute show in LA a couple of weeks back. 

4 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

A lot of the bass legends seem to stick with 4 strings, yea they might dabble in another brand's 5 string but generally stick to their 4 string brand.

I think Jaydee have so many orders that it just wouldnt be efficient for their production line to accommodate to much diversity.. (im only guessing and have no real knowledge on this so take this with a pinch of salt...  )

Indeed it would appear that Jaydee have become less diverse in recent years, with Calibas and Celeste models which offered 5 and 6 string options, no longer advertised on their website.  Guess that is not where the typical Jaydee customer wants to go.  

Edited by leroydiamond
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

Indeed it would appear that Jaydee have become less diverse in recent years, with Calibas and Celeste models whicha offered 5 and 6 string options, no longer advertised on their website.  Guess that is not where the typical Jaydee customer wants to go.  

I had a six string Celeste, the neck dive was incredible. Six elephant ear tuners and that neck.

I also had a Supernatural during the '80s, but the neck seemed to change shape every time I took it out of the case. The chap who bought it from me didn't have it for long either.

19 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

I had a six string Celeste, the neck dive was incredible. Six elephant ear tuners and that neck.

I also had a Supernatural during the '80s, but the neck seemed to change shape every time I took it out of the case. The chap who bought it from me didn't have it for long either.

The top horn on those was very short, they didn't look like they would balance well. Probably designed to be played up at armpit level, a la Mark King. 

As I said earlier in this thread, it's a shame they haven't really continued to evolve the designs. Since J-type basses are kinda the thing right now, a new and updated Celeste (better balance, lightweight design, etc) would have seemed a pretty sensible move for them. I guess they have enough work making their classic designs (as this thread proves) but it'd be nice to see them "widen their remit" again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Russ said:

He was rocking the Status Matrix 5 in that video. I think he’s currently using the Jaydees for Level 42 but he still plays the Statuses regularly. He was using the Status Kingbass when he did the Taylor Hawkins tribute show in LA a couple of weeks back. 

Mark King will always been know as a 4 string bassist to a lot of us, a single video wont change my mind on that lol

Edited by joe_geezer
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Russ said:

As I said earlier in this thread, it's a shame they haven't really continued to evolve the designs. Since J-type basses are kinda the thing right now, a new and updated Celeste (better balance, lightweight design, etc) would have seemed a pretty sensible move for them. I guess they have enough work making their classic designs (as this thread proves) but it'd be nice to see them "widen their remit" again. 

Why not contact them and enquire about a Celeste build? 

5 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

Why not contact them and enquire about a Celeste build? 

I'm sure they still have the router templates, etc to make them and could if they wanted. But I guess they're overstretched with what they've already got on their plates (all MK-style Supernatural 4-strings apparently, based on this thread. :D )

37 minutes ago, Russ said:

I'm sure they still have the router templates, etc to make them and could if they wanted. But I guess they're overstretched with what they've already got on their plates (all MK-style Supernatural 4-strings apparently, based on this thread. :D )

They might still take an order for one, but what would put me off would be the waiting period. The MK style is undoubtedly where its at for them as that's where the demand is. 

7 hours ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

I've just sold mine.

It was so outrageously well finished that I realised I was never taking it to a gig and I was afraid of putting any dinks in the finish at home. Even the headstock. 

Yes, I know, it's not right to be like that about an instrument, but that's how I was and now it's sold and I don't mind.

Pics please!

52 minutes ago, joe_geezer said:

That's a stunning bass, just out of interest, how much did you sell it for?

A few short hundred less than a brand new Supernatural Series III.
The Jaydee group on FB was a bit besides themselves at the selling price (too low appreantly) and there's every chance it's made its way to a reseller already. If they think they can sell a used one for more than new, then I know nothing about the world.

6 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

I get that completely. At the end of the day  if you do not have a use for something, move it on and let someone else enjoy. 

Upon reflection I get that a bit, but all the basses I've bought from new were pristine in the beginning. To commission such a beautiful bass, wait 2 years for it, then realise you can't play it even at home is such a pity. In this instance I'd keep it and cherish it; just like the twenty plus other beautiful basses in my collection.

Edited by Sparky Mark
Moderate my point of view

13 hours ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

A few short hundred less than a brand new Supernatural Series III.
The Jaydee group on FB was a bit besides themselves at the selling price (too low appreantly) and there's every chance it's made its way to a reseller already. If they think they can sell a used one for more than new, then I know nothing about the world.

That's a common occurrence in marketplaces where people pay a premium over the new price to avoid a long lead-time. Luxury watches are an example. I would've gladly paid a couple of hundred pounds more than the list price to have owned my JD 18 months sooner. 

Edited by Sparky Mark