Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

joe_geezer

On 10/12/2021 at 22:32, joe_geezer said:

The bass arrived today! All i can say is, the weight is perfect as is the balance, excellent low action, amazing sound. The craftsmanship is probably the best i have ever experienced (and i have owned a few high end basses). Here's a few pics for now, i intent to get back with a video asap

IMG_20211210_163222862_HDR.thumb.jpg.01520361918c5cb5e5758210f4d640ba.jpg

I concur completely with this opinion. Even though mine is the entry level active version the fit and finish are absolutely flawless and there wasn't a single fingerprint anywhere that I could see. The fretwork and wiring were also as good as I've ever seen; in fact probably the best, and I have owned a Wal. There's even a circuit diagram attached to the inside of the control cover; I've not seen that done before.

The active preamp is remarkable in that the frequencies are perfectly selected to maintain a usable sound even at quite extreme boost settings. Switching to active mode on some of my basses changes their basic tone significantly but the JD allows you to sculpt the tone in a more "natural" manner precisely as John describes on his website.

I'm surprised considering I've been smitten by JD basses from the time I heard Mark King in 1981 that it took me 40 years to order one! I don't have a formal bucket list, but if I did, having JD build me a bass has just been ticked.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

I spoke to the guys at Jaydee a couple of days ago. 

My Series 1 with crescent inlays is under construction,  and may be ready next month!!!

No pics yet, but it's exciting knowing that it's arrival is drawing near. 

I received this picture of mine in October 2022 and it was finished in July 2023. Total time from placement of order was 26 months.

image.png.4f21756cc90a7d086f5a5d60298d341f.png

I ordered my Series 1 just over two years ago. Its already paid in full, so all I need to do is wait for it to be completed. 

If it does reach completion  next month, then it would be around 26 months from the order being placed. 

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/08/2023 at 16:25, kevin_lindsay said:

I ordered my Series 1 just over two years ago. Its already paid in full, so all I need to do is wait for it to be completed. 

If it does reach completion  next month, then it would be around 26 months from the order being placed. 

Did you receive your bass Kevin?

Not yet.

I received the Custom made Jaydee Strap last month, and called Jaydee to say that it had arrived,  and that the quality, and packaging,  were fantastic. 

During the chat I was told that .y bass was almost done, with an anticipated delivery date on February. 

With the sad news of John passing away on 2nd January '24, my completion date may be delayed again? 

20231208_114629.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Not yet.

I received the Custom made Jaydee Strap last month, and called Jaydee to say that it had arrived,  and that the quality, and packaging,  were fantastic. 

During the chat I was told that .y bass was almost done, with an anticipated delivery date on February. 

With the sad news of John passing away on 2nd January '24, my completion date may be delayed again? 

20231208_114629.jpg

Yes, that is very sad news. I didn't know straps were available. How do you buy those?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kevin_lindsay said:

I think there was a limited order window to order one (i found out via the Jaydee Owners Group on Facebook)- pretty expensive  - I think my one was £125.

20231208_114536.jpg

20231208_114547.jpg

I don't do Bookface so missed out. Although that's probably too expensive for me anyway nowadays. :(

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a Jaydee Roadie supernatural bass which I purchased back in 89. Yep 35 years. It has worked flawlessly until three weeks ago when it acted up and the neck pickup dropped out. I don’t know if this is the right place but, would anybody have/know the wiring layout. I have an active version.

The main trouble is when I opened it to trouble shoot, I found only one wire coming from each pickup to the chassis on the volume pot. There seems to be no other connection from the pickups. It's mystifying. Every circuit I know needs a -/+ from the pickup. Also does anyone know what pickups are underneath the (2 pickups under a polished hardwood case)? Unfortunately not very descriptive from the website. I hade them down as twin humbuckers but I am up for correction.

Any help would be appreciated

• Like 1

I'd get in contact with Jaydee. 

Though there is a backlog of orders for new basses (which has been the case for a few years) when I sent my S2 for an upgrade it was done and back with me within a few weeks...I only paid for the parts.

• Like 1

The pickups are like this under the hardwood covers (P-Bass style split coils)

If you call Jaydee at the workshop, they'll be able to advise you

Jaydee Custom Guitars

0121 773 5711

150577-61be346386ebe2a12903fb5322828632.jpg

150575-f6212f03077162ef703b7233bd2ce5a3.jpg

150576-58ca942ef84af795a401889f0b0802e1.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 1

Thanks,

TheGreek I have emailed them and am talking with andrew at the moment. I live in a very small town in central Finland so taking it there is a no go. 

Kevin what does the end of the cable look like? Or how many cores?

I would love to take it to them but its just not going to happen. So thats why I needed the diagram. If the pickups are grounded to the chassis of the volume pot where is the signal wire? I am reticent to strip the bass down but.... it's looking like i might have to strip the bass down. The third position on the pickup selector is mute.

I'm not going to lie, the wireing is a bit messy. but the sound was wicked. I guess I just need to know where the signal + is from the puckups and i can trace it from there...maybe.

• Like 1