Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

joe_geezer

Just spoke to the seller, Joe again. 

I said that, after doing some further investigation I thought that the agreed price might have been a bit high.

He had said that he had agreed to sell to an American buyer for  $1800 but there were issues with the money going through. Buyer going to the bank tomorrow to deal with this. 

We agreed that he should proceed with the sale to the buyer in USA for the better price which would give me time to think about my offer. 

Speaking to him again on Friday. 

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Yes...I've deleted all the photos I had of it. 

Nice looking Bass, don't you think?

I do, very much so, that is an unusual shade, not the usual pearlescent pink, more of a lilac.  I think it belonged to Nick Smith originally.

On 30/01/2023 at 09:12, joe_geezer said:

Beautiful Bass! I wonder if John would make this model again today.... 

The Calibas model has been off the website for a while, but I don't see why not assuming all of the bits are still available.  The electronics are slightly different - have a fourth EQ ("presence" control).  Best just to ask.

17 hours ago, GeeCee said:

I do, very much so, that is an unusual shade, not the usual pearlescent pink, more of a lilac.  I think it belonged to Nick Smith originally.

I got it in a trade with Nick - my Wal went to Nick in exchange for this and the green Overwater. 

Apparently whoever commissioned the bass gave John a  picture of MK playing his pink Jaydee and said he wanted it that colour. 

John painted it the "right" colour only for the buyer to say he wanted it the colour in the picture.  John had to mix a custom colour. 

Nick also introduced me to George Anderson at the LBGS - " you know George " - awestruck - what a really nice fella. 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 16:50, GeeCee said:

The Calibas model has been off the website for a while, but I don't see why not assuming all of the bits are still available.  The electronics are slightly different - have a fourth EQ ("presence" control).  Best just to ask.

They'll still make a Calibas to order, but they no longer offer the push-button pickup selector - you'll have to settle for the regular 5-position knob. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

I was talking to a friend about the 8 string Jaydee Mark had back in the 80s.

I remembered seeing a pic of him with it in a magazine interview.

I wonder what happened to that instrument?

I expect Morgan Roussel probably owns it.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2023 at 16:58, AndyTravis said:

@kevin_lindsay there’s a dead link on bidbuy.Co.jp

but doesn’t look the same as the one in that video - does state it was made for mark king in 1991, bit late for that song

I almost bought that bass years ago, well technically I did buy it, albeit only for a few days.  Don't know about the MK connection but it is not the same bass as the one in the video.  The one I bought was an 8-string GA24 in cherry red.  Noticed there was a split in the fretboard at the first position when it arrived.  The seller refunded me the money.  I sent it back and he said he was going to make an insurance claim.  Crossed my mind it was a scam - maybe the crack was already there and he thought he would get the PO to pay for it by selling it to a buyer who would want to return it.  Decided the other explanation was more likely though - the bass arrived with all 8 strings fully slackened off, but not the truss rod.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

That's gorgeous, anyone know where this bass is now?

No, but I can guess.  Some months after I returned it, it went up for sale on Olivia's Vintage Guitars (I think) with the usual exorbitant mark-up (it's their picture BTW).  I suppose someone in Japan could have bought it.  This would have been more than 10 years ago now.   Not seen or heard mention of it again until now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

Jaydee bass owners:

Can you let me know what your Mark King slap settings are? Especially how to set the EQ and tone - I wonder how much of the tone was coming from his Trace EQ which was scooped?

Not much of a slapper, but I think the TE was a big part of the sound.  That said, you need new light gauge strings (30-90), a low action so a bit of fret buzz for fingerstyle, switch to the bridge PU or both PUs, passive tone knob on full, active EQ on with heavy bass boost, some mid boost, and treble flat (all to taste), some kind of a chorus effect and a large helping of raw talent.  The last bit I never had much of.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GeeCee said:

Not much of a slapper, but I think the TE was a big part of the sound.  That said, you need new light gauge strings (30-90), a low action so a bit of fret buzz for fingerstyle, switch to the bridge PU or both PUs, passive tone knob on full, active EQ on with heavy bass boost, some mid boost, and treble flat (all to taste), some kind of a chorus effect and a large helping of raw talent.  The last bit I never had much of.

I bet you are a great bassist!

Thanks for your settings. I have been trying to cut the mid and boost the bass and treble a bit but like you say, he always has that mid growl on hand when he switches to finger style - so that makes sense (otherwise if the mids were scooped for slap then when he switches finger style he won't get that middle growl).

BTW do you currently own any Jaydees?

Edited by joe_geezer

12 minutes ago, joe_geezer said:

I bet you are a great bassist!

BTW do you currently own any Jaydees?

No, honestly, I am a pretty mediocre player.  One of life's little ironies, I can afford nice instruments mainly because I don't make my living making music.    

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GeeCee said:

No, honestly, I am a pretty mediocre player.  One of life's little ironies, I can afford nice instruments mainly because I don't make my living making music.    

Yep, i used to be a full time musician, played with a £200 bass, now i have retired from music and changed careers I own some very nice instruments... 

22 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

Jaydee bass owners:

Can you let me know what your Mark King slap settings are? Especially how to set the EQ and tone - I wonder how much of the tone was coming from his Trace EQ which was scooped?

Very little came from his EQ.  He used the EQ like a ersatz crossover between both the MkV heads on the Live at Wembly DVD.  Most of his tone came from finger strength over the bridge pickup, the dominance of mahogany in the Jaydee and the Trace 4x10's.  The Mk V amps were pretty flat sounding - something that changed with the Series 6 that followed.  His 0002SA and 0003 basses were fairly mid-growly in comparison to the other instruments he used.

• Like 2