Why become a member? ×

Jaydee Basses

joe_geezer

On 26/05/2021 at 09:49, Rich said:

I had a fretless Roadie 1 back in the dim distant. I fitted a Hollis preamp to give a bit of a boost, and then later the original humbug pickup died -- well, half of it did anyway. So I fitted an EMG-35 in its place, which sounded a lot better I have to say. The neck sadly developed a slight back-bow which meant that, whilst playable, the action was a lot higher than I would have liked, so I moved it on. The fingerboard was the hardest piece of ebony I have ever seen in my life -- I only ever strung that bass with rounds, and in all the years I used it they didn't leave a single mark on the fingerboard at all.
The second hardest piece of ebony I've seen is on the fingerboard of my current fretless... the neck of which was made by Jaydee. :)  They certainly have some good wood.

This is aforementioned Jaydee neck of my current fretless, bought from @greenoliveof this very parish :) this was a WIP photo from when I was putting it together, you'll be glad to know that that gap twixt neck and scratchplate has been closed :D as described in the post above, the fingerboard is the 2nd hardest piece of ebony I have ever seen in my life, and whilst it is unlined (the look I prefer) it does have little cheat-lines on the edge of the neck -- you can just make them out in the pic. This combination means that for me, this is the perfect fretless neck. All I need now is a gig where I can actually use it. :D 

1133097204_JayRay-3WIP03-10-18(2).thumb.jpg.fb3b0dd6a02b907b9171cb04a266640e.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, OC-2 said:

Hmmm, claims… 🤔 

Hmmm, dismiss it as you wish if you're cynically inclined. Like I said, best of my recollection.  Besides which searching for the post is going to take time away from things that are more important to me.  

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Hmmm, dismiss it as you wish if you're cynically inclined. Like I said, best of my recollection.  Besides which searching for the post is going to take time away from things that are more important to me.  

Not cynical just way different to anything I’ve ever heard story wise :)

have a great weekend!

12 hours ago, Rich said:

This is aforementioned Jaydee neck of my current fretless, bought from @greenoliveof this very parish :) this was a WIP photo from when I was putting it together, you'll be glad to know that that gap twixt neck and scratchplate has been closed :D as described in the post above, the fingerboard is the 2nd hardest piece of ebony I have ever seen in my life, and whilst it is unlined (the look I prefer) it does have little cheat-lines on the edge of the neck -- you can just make them out in the pic. This combination means that for me, this is the perfect fretless neck. All I need now is a gig where I can actually use it. :D 

1133097204_JayRay-3WIP03-10-18(2).thumb.jpg.fb3b0dd6a02b907b9171cb04a266640e.jpg

Seconded, JD does use some nice hard-wearing ebony for their fingerboards; just curious do you know what body the neck was originally attached to?

3 hours ago, joe_geezer said:

94137003_Screenshot2023-03-25at19_39_20.thumb.png.e542c79bac9b1a5419fbd11a5629451d.png

Great condition OR it's been sent back to Jaydee for some TLC

The latter I believe.  I vaguely recall that is a MK model under the paint, which, if true, would be an odd choice really, better to have started with a Roadie.

Edited by GeeCee
  • Like 1

On 22/03/2023 at 10:23, Sparky Mark said:

Do you mean that the laminate stripes are painted and the headstock front had a real veneer applied later?

Yep,
The headstock upgrade was done exactly as they do all such instruments having left the factory painted black.
Toby applied stain for the laminate effet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

So jealous. 

I might sit outside your home and pretend to be you when the courier arrives. 

(Just in case it actually happens, I'm only joking)

I've waited 26 months for this. I ordered it hoping it would arrive in time for my 60th last November but l know the extra wait has been worth it. This model has increased in price by £500 in that time but they're still great value when compared to a mass produced instrument. 

• Like 2

Looks great!!

I ordered my Series 1 with inlays 2 years ago (ordered on 1st August '21). Hopefully,  based on your build time, my own bass shouldn't be too much longer of a wait for completion. 

My bass is already paid in full, I just have to endure the wait fir it to be ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Arrived today!!! Sunlight and my crappy Samsung phone camera makes the cherry look much brighter than in reality. The faux laminate finish and gold hardware work really well with the gloss translucent cherry IMO.

20230718_172456.thumb.jpg.f0a1b70800b458a294d3868990b5a8b9.jpg

20230718_172534.thumb.jpg.a4dadbd8a44ea92d765cf19c8d420170.jpg

What a beauty!

• Thanks 1