Why become a member? ×

Source Audio C4 Synth Pedal

GisserD

26 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

Yeah, seems to be part of the territory for synth pedals. My EHX Micro Synth tracks better, but doesn't quite nail the sounds, and obviously can't do arpeggios. The C4 being Boss-sized means it wins a place on the board.

Probs not as good tones as the C4, but maybe worth checking out the Boss SY-200. Flawless tight tracking and has arpegiattor with speeds that can be separately triggered by midi or expression pedal. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's me finally purchased a C4. I've recently went through the Boss Sy-1 and the EH mono bass pedal. The boss tracked incredibly and some of the paddy sounds were excellent, but not quite the sounds i was wanting. The EH mono synth again tracked great, but covered a sound I wasnt really going for.

Played with the C4 for a wee while last night and this morning. Tracking isn't as good I dont think, although I'm assuming it's doing ALOT more in terms of processing than the other two pedals. I'm a very clean player so i don't know how sloppy players could get anything out this! Sound wise though it's great. Covers more of that 80's and 90's bass tones. The software though is definitely something that I'll need to study up on!  I've mucked about with real synths and software synths in the past and never really properly understood them.. so a bit of e learning curve, for sure!

Spent a dreary Sunday afternoon rearranging and updating all 138 presets and I thought why not press record whilst doing it.

The intention was just to see how the patches recorded and also check that each were roughly the same volume.

There are so many patches of varying quality on the Neuro community, I thought I’d share in case people wanted to hear some ‘curated’ patches. 

The vast majority of these were created by @Quatschmacher who is just a patch creating wizard. 

The Meris Enzo, Dr Scientist Dusk (filter sweeps), and EBS Dynaverb make an occasional appearance. 

HEALTH WARNING: this is a 90 minute + recording of the same two bars on a continuous loop…..

https://on.soundcloud.com/HAt6b9dqgaQVHLh17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2022 at 20:48, Elfrasho said:

That's me finally purchased a C4. I've recently went through the Boss Sy-1 and the EH mono bass pedal. The boss tracked incredibly and some of the paddy sounds were excellent, but not quite the sounds i was wanting. The EH mono synth again tracked great, but covered a sound I wasnt really going for.

Played with the C4 for a wee while last night and this morning. Tracking isn't as good I dont think, although I'm assuming it's doing ALOT more in terms of processing than the other two pedals. I'm a very clean player so i don't know how sloppy players could get anything out this! Sound wise though it's great. Covers more of that 80's and 90's bass tones. The software though is definitely something that I'll need to study up on!  I've mucked about with real synths and software synths in the past and never really properly understood them.. so a bit of e learning curve, for sure!

Last time I tried an SYB1 it wasn't really a pitch tracking synth so much as a muffler which added a square wave to whatever midrange and low end it left in the signal.  The Future Impact will track the best but only one pickup 'vintage' sounding basses like stingrays and p-basses.  It needs to see plenty of fat midrange without too much treble. 

2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

The Future Impact will track the best but only one pickup 'vintage' sounding basses like stingrays and p-basses.  It needs to see plenty of fat midrange without too much treble. 

Worked just fine on my 2-pickup PJ and J basses too. I mostly used flats on these, which takes out treble, but they worked with steel rounds too. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Yeah, I'm not saying tracking doesn't work on two pick up basses, I'm saying it doesn't work as well. Best tracking with my Deep Impact was with a Modulus Sonic Hammer of all things, it was feeding lots of what the pedal needed to hear inspite of the treble content from the graphite neck (although it wasn't too bright) so there's no hard and fast rule. But the one pickup setup is still the most consistent in my experience.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Disaster Area DMC Micro Pro users:

The preset renamer website doesn't recognise my DMC. It lets me choose Disaster Area G3 MIDI as the input/output but says no DMC.micro detected.

Anyone else had the same issue and managed to sort it? I contacted Disaster Area support and they were no help at all.

It'd be so much easier if I had a preset name on the screen instead of a number!

Hm! Something to look into - I have been, for some time, thinking a bout expanding my mini board to a Nano+ (currently have tuner / Blackstone mosfet OD / Zvex fuzz / Lil Fella Distortion / Compressor Clone / Zvex Chorus)...

... Knowing as I hate huge boards, I was thinking on adding an octaver (fuzz / chorus / octaver are to me the trinity of bass effects after all)... BUT, I always try to find an excuse to have shimmer (ie. pads?) and would be curious/good to have a filter. I've also seen the great possibilities of this to do a Boss OC-2 type of thing - to my ears it's good enough at least.

So, add my love for Moog's synth tones, and it seems quite obvious my best shot would be a C4.

Would you guys say it is an interface/app good enough to learn some synthesis basics? I know I could just use it with the pre-made presets, but hopefully this pedal could quench my thirst for an actual synth :D and take filter / shimmer / octave effects with me along the way...

6 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Hm! Something to look into - I have been, for some time, thinking a bout expanding my mini board to a Nano+ (currently have tuner / Blackstone mosfet OD / Zvex fuzz / Lil Fella Distortion / Compressor Clone / Zvex Chorus)...

... Knowing as I hate huge boards, I was thinking on adding an octaver (fuzz / chorus / octaver are to me the trinity of bass effects after all)... BUT, I always try to find an excuse to have shimmer (ie. pads?) and would be curious/good to have a filter. I've also seen the great possibilities of this to do a Boss OC-2 type of thing - to my ears it's good enough at least.

So, add my love for Moog's synth tones, and it seems quite obvious my best shot would be a C4.

Would you guys say it is an interface/app good enough to learn some synthesis basics? I know I could just use it with the pre-made presets, but hopefully this pedal could quench my thirst for an actual synth :D and take filter / shimmer / octave effects with me along the way...

No shimmer on C4.

It’s not the best interface for learning synthesis. For that, I’d suggest checking here first to familiarise yourself with the concepts:

https://learningsynths.ableton.com

After that, the interface will make more sense.

It’s certainly a great pedal for octave, filter, fuzz, phaser and synth in one. 

15 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Hmmm! noted, thanks an awful lot @Quatschmacher, will review.

But also, for synth, the Future Impact is highly recommended (and its editor interface makes more sense from a synthesis point of view). Both pedals cover different duties so it’s not redundant to have both. 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know when the new Source Audio Midi Adapter will be available in the UK or Europe? My C4 is patiently waiting to be connected to my Morningstar. 

I texted SA in early Jan, and they said it will be available in late Jan. However, it seems like they haven't made it to the UK yet.