Why become a member? ×

Bass New Year Resolution

JakeBrownBass

1. Play more.
2. Go through the music books I have.
3. Learn to play all the CD's I have put together of Fretless bass, double bass, pop bass and punk bass songs.
4. Become a competent fingers player (played with a pick for 21 years)
5. Join a band.
6. Buy either a Precision or Musicman to complete my collection.

Music related:
Practice properly and in a structured way, not just go over the existing setlist and noodle.
Record some of our own material, even if just for posterity.
Stop thinking "what can I add to my rig next" and use what I already own properly.
Life related:
Spend more time with my children.
Give up smoking and lose weight (get some exercise!).

Formalise my practice regime:

STOP -
* Noodling over scales that I already know inside out and backwards

START -
* Ear training using some interval learning software I've found
* Transcribing the 100s of songs I've got to learn for my new band
* Working through the various bass books I've bought this year to
* Learn different styles of music
* re-learn how to read music
* learn a variety of techniques

Not asking for too much am I?

Edited by peted

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='345586' date='Dec 4 2008, 03:54 PM']To only play what I hear[/quote]
Isn't that going to result in you only ever being able to play versions of John Cage's 4' 33" (short version, 12" remix, etc)? After all, if you don;t lay till you hear and there's nothing for you to hear because you're not playing, you're a bit stuck aren't you?

Um, resolutions:

Practice.

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='Geoff' post='346380' date='Dec 5 2008, 01:13 PM']Mine would be to break away from constantly following the guitar in the band im playing in at the moment. Because its pretty fast paced its hard to drop interesting parts in, but I think I need to be more imaginative in my playing.[/quote]

Hope you don't mind me giving some advice, but, try playing the song with just the drummer. Just raw drum and bass. Your be amazed at how much space you'll hear and will will be able to put your own things in. Your also hear the song from a different angle and hopefully get some inspiration to try some new things out. Its also good to just play the song as many times as you can with the drummer so the two of you can really get the groove and rythem locked in tight. Your be amazed at how tight the song feels after doing that a few times when you play with the whole band. Your also get used to listening and working with the drums rather than listening and following what the guitarist is doing. Hope that helps or gives you something to try.