Why become a member? ×

ACG Filter based pre-amps - the difference!

GreeneKing

I've just been 'chatting' with Al (Niceguyhomer) about Alan Cringeon's ACG filter based pre-amps as featured in BGM this month and it occurred to me the real difference between his pre and the more usual 2/3 EQ systems (or even passive controls come to that) found both inboard and outboard of a bass.

With an ACG filter based pre you 'produce' your tone, the tone you want.

With a 2/3+ EQ system you 'tweak' it.

Just a thought really, that I thought was worth sharing.

Edited by GreeneKing

Interesting.
I've just stepped into a whole new world here.
I have a limited yet probably quite polarised experience, in that I've been a dyed-in-the-wool afficianado of the "Status" boost/cut/parametric middle until 3 days ago, whereupon I'm now the jaw-dropped and dribbling owner of an AC Harlot(broken in, as they say, by our own GreeneKing, who has been of paramount help in my securing this wonderful instrument).
For me, it's a quantum-leap in terms of approach to sound concoction, yet the AC preamp seems so "infinitely" configurable it would be an easy thing to smother the sound that the bass intrinsically wants to make: there's all manner of woody resonances and interplay going on that add up to a different experience than the Status, even before it gets produced(to use the term alluded to by GreeneKing).
I feel I have to presently be a little careful in not superimposing the tones I wish to produce with the AC preamp in the AC bass...though it's nice to able to dial in pretty much anything I could dream of, of course. What I mean is, that there are enough disireable tones within the Harlot, as to warrant a mere "tweak" rather than a full-on "produce", if you see what I mean.
And by the same token I could say, with the misty eyes of parted company, that the belter of an S2 that I ousted to make room for the Harlot may well have greatly benefitted from more "producing" and filter-based shaping...
....If anyone out there has fitted an AC preamp into a Status, I for one would be most interested to see how that combo works...devastating, I'd guess.
I'm really quite arrested at present though with the blending possibilities: no mere panning of pickup balance as much as an actual layering of textures and sound strata. For me to be able to have(and ON BOARD at the front end..phee-ew!) unmuddied layers of sub-dub emerging uncompressed from a growly middle..and hear the bounce and resonance of woods that work together: well, this is now a whole new ball-game. Whether it's the Harlot, or the pre-amp, or both, I can safely say that in the past few days my whole approach to how I use a bass in my music has been challenged and taken apart. It's going to be fun for me to lsiten and watch it all settle into a totally different form, I reckon!

[quote name='ped' post='343530' date='Dec 2 2008, 09:21 PM']Yeah it was great fun hearing the ACG and the Retro pre-amps at the SE bash. Didn't someone video it?

ped[/quote]
Bloody hope so, I completely missed it coz Alex and I were deafening people with his Big One. :)

If anyon has a video of it, please stick it on YouTube and send me the linky!

[quote name='zigmondo' post='346020' date='Dec 5 2008, 12:27 AM']....If anyone out there has fitted an AC preamp into a Status, I for one would be most interested to see how that combo works...[/quote]

Very probably on the cards after I take delivery of my Harlot.
I have a Status Empathy 5 string and a Series 2000 fretless 5 string that I think will enjoy a retrofit if Alans pre-amp does all I think it will...

[quote name='Merton' post='346284' date='Dec 5 2008, 11:38 AM']Bloody hope so, I completely missed it coz Alex and I were deafening people with his Big One. :)[/quote]

Indeed we were!

I'd really recommend anyone looking to use an ACG preamp on their bass to consider Q-Tuner pickups. The Q-Tuners have a much higher resonant peak than any other passive pickups so you can then use the ACG filters to simulate the sound of any pickup you want without having to fight the sound inherent to most pickups. Another approach would be to use a low impedance low output pickup like Alembic ones which have a similarly high resonant peak but need a suitable high impedance buffer and then voltage gain to drive an amp (which the ACG can probably do) but the Q-Tuners achieve that response whilst also being powerful enough to run totally passive (due to some kind of Dutch black magic in them - or possibly air coils and neodymium magnets...)

Alex

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm massively interested in the ACG preamp (and I too am a really big fan of filter based pres). Has anyone here tried it A/B with an Alembic Series I/ll or Wal circuit - I'd be really interested to hear of any differences and similarities. Also (sorry, I could look this up easily) can the ACG run in stereo?

I fitted one to my Sei 6 last year, it originally had a normal John East pre fitted to it, the change made an already fantastic bass something that really can't be bettered, and I mean that, I've tried many basses since, and my Sei is by far the best.

I'm having a new Sei built at the moment, a fretless 6, that's going to have an East/ACG pre fitted to it too, possibly with Q-tuners.

Thanks Pete - good advice and I'll call Alan early next week.

On the Sei retro-fit - I can imagine this sounds stunning! I've had a number of Seis - for me the construction, playability and aesthetic is outstanding but I've sometimes found the tone a bit polite/lacking in character. I can imagine that the ACG/East pre will make a massive, positive difference.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='396298' date='Jan 31 2009, 06:09 PM']I'm having a new Sei built at the moment, a fretless 6, that's going to have an East/ACG pre fitted to it too, possibly with Q-tuners.[/quote]

I'll be interested to hear this if you go for Q-Tuners as that's a combination I'm considering for my next bass...

IMO the filter pre-amp can't be bettered for fretless tones!

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='396298' date='Jan 31 2009, 06:09 PM']I fitted one to my Sei 6 last year, it originally had a normal John East pre fitted to it, the change made an already fantastic bass something that really can't be bettered, and I mean that, I've tried many basses since, and my Sei is by far the best.

I'm having a new Sei built at the moment, a fretless 6, that's going to have an East/ACG pre fitted to it too, possibly with Q-tuners.[/quote]

What pickups are in your Sei 6? I am fitting an ACG pre in my Sei 6 and was considering changing the pickups too

[quote name='lozbass' post='396362' date='Jan 31 2009, 07:41 PM']I've had a number of Seis - for me the construction, playability and aesthetic is outstanding but I've sometimes found the tone a bit polite/lacking in character. I can imagine that the ACG/East pre will make a massive, positive difference.[/quote]

That's what I'm going for.

I've been so busy playing my ACG 9 that I haven't played around with the preamp yet!!

[b]D-Basser[/b] - Came over to my place last week, played the 9 and started experimenting with preamp. It was really interesting to just sit and hear the sounds the bass could produce from really heavy dub to really cutting trebley bite. The ACG pre is way ahead of the Schack pre I have in the Sei, although the Demeter 3 band in my Tyler produces great focussed sounds but without the flexibility of the ACG.

As my Sei only has the one pickup, I'm not losing out on having the ACG EQ02 instead of the ACG EQ01. ;) :P

[quote name='alexclaber' post='346781' date='Dec 5 2008, 08:46 PM']Indeed we were!

I'd really recommend anyone looking to use an ACG preamp on their bass to consider Q-Tuner pickups. The Q-Tuners have a much higher resonant peak than any other passive pickups so you can then use the ACG filters to simulate the sound of any pickup you want without having to fight the sound inherent to most pickups. Another approach would be to use a low impedance low output pickup like Alembic ones which have a similarly high resonant peak but need a suitable high impedance buffer and then voltage gain to drive an amp (which the ACG can probably do) but the Q-Tuners achieve that response whilst also being powerful enough to run totally passive (due to some kind of Dutch black magic in them - or possibly air coils and neodymium magnets...)

Alex[/quote]

[quote name='BigRedX' post='347160' date='Dec 6 2008, 12:01 PM']That's an interesting idea Alex.

Doesn't it do against the Q-Tuner all passive philosophy though?[/quote]

Having contacted Erno to seek his advice before buying a few Q-Tuners from him for bass builds it goes completely against his philosophy. He appears to me (especially if you read his book Animal Magnetism for Musicians) that he is a purist in every sense of the word.
His basses are simply constructed from the finest materials (ebony necks !)and he doesn't even believe in neck reinforcement as it "creates dead spots" and no volume or tone pots as they get in the way of the signal path.
That doesn't mean to say his Q-Tuners won't sound good through Alans pre-amps (which I have used and are probably the best there are) but it is a bit like buying a Ferrari 560 and sticking an after-market chip in it !

Edited by Prosebass