Why become a member? ×

How do you decide which bass to go for?

Currrls

[quote name='Grissle' post='341603' date='Dec 1 2008, 02:04 AM']Do you have a favorite bass hero or band who's bass tone you really get on with? If so, find out what kind of bass they're using and use that as a starting point.[/quote]

that doesn't necessarily work. when i was searching for my first proper bass i was a huge fan of blink 182, and mark hoppus my bass hero. his signature bass has a seymour duncan single precision pickup with only a volume knob. big, jazz bass body with a big, precision neck. my first proper bass was my ibanez SR500, with two bartolini soapbar pickups with a bartolini 3 band EQ. its got a small, light body with one of the thinnest necks you can get. different woods on both the neck and body to the mark hoppus. about as different as you can get whilst it still being a 4 string bass.

i still love mark hoppus' tone (although he's far from my bass hero nowadays) but would not touch a mark hoppus jazz with a barge pole. from my experience a single precision pickup with no tone controls (or active preamp!) will not get me the sound i want.

same goes for tim crommerford, i love his tone. i'd give anything for a tone like that, but have never played a jazz that, to me, sounds good.

so all i'm saying is don't go by what your bass hero plays, by all means try it, but its not necessarily going to be anywhere near what you want.

EDIT: just want to add i'm no having a go at what grissle said, after all he did say to use it as a starting point. im just telling you about my experiences using the whole "play what your hero plays" technique when looking for basses. if it works for you, then of course buy what your hero plays, but im just saying it didnt work for me. it wasnt even close.

Edited by LWTAIT

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='341744' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:33 AM']Dr D's fave mantra - buy the bass that feels right in your hands - anything else can be sorted with a screwdriver , a soldering iron and a spray gun.[/quote]

try fixing [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32325"]this[/url] with a screwdriver, soldering iron and spray gun. :)

Went to the gallery this evening. The guy was more friendly, he even let me play a stingray when I made it pretty clear I wasn't goin got be buying it from him. He said he doesn't really have much in my price range(approx. £500), apart from a couple of fenders.

So I wasn't really able to play play play as you've all recommended. I liked the stingray though, will have a look around for some second hand ones.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='342102' date='Dec 1 2008, 05:05 PM']try fixing [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32325"]this[/url] with a screwdriver, soldering iron and spray gun. :)[/quote]

No problem - undo all the screws and throw the bits in the bin. Fixed.

[quote name='Currrls' post='342234' date='Dec 1 2008, 06:56 PM']Went to the gallery this evening. The guy was more friendly, he even let me play a stingray when I made it pretty clear I wasn't goin got be buying it from him. He said he doesn't really have much in my price range(approx. £500), apart from a couple of fenders.

So I wasn't really able to play play play as you've all recommended. I liked the stingray though, will have a look around for some second hand ones.[/quote]

2 good points when purchasing;
1) Don't make it clear you "won't be buying it from him" Maybe one day, you will...
2) Never disclose your budget, or in fact, define it so tightly. Even at 16 you can find a few bob more- Ebay some stuff, save for longer if necessary.

Try everything, but do be aware that your tastes and abilities may change/improve. I really don't struggle with necks now, but the last time I played an Alembic (Orion) I didn't get on with it at all. If I played it now, I'd probably not be as bothered.

I bought my first proper bass at 23, when I'd been playing 2 years. I bought a brand that I'd never heard of or seen before. It [i]was[/i] a LOT of money.
I still have it. It's still the best playing and sounding bass I own. I would never sell it.
I went through every bass in the shop. Ones I could afford, and some I couldn't, and it came to that one.

Things to look for;
[b]Good feel [/b]- does it sit right on your knee? Does it balance well when you stand?
[b]Good tone [/b]- Does it sound the way you want it to? How versatile is it?
[b]Good Fit and finish [/b]- Is the neck smooth and true? How good is the fretwork/fretboard edges/body routing & contouring/jointing - Does it look like someone put some care and attention into the construction and finishing?

Sod Aesthetics (as long as it doesn't compromise playability) and definitely Sod the name on the headstock!

If I can buy a completely superb instrument on my second go, I'm sure you can!
P.S. The trick then becomes... Can you do it again AND do it [i]really[/i] cheaply!

The first thing I do when trying a bass is to play it acoustically without being plugged into an amp.

This tells you what it sounds like naturally - the sustain, the resonance of the wood. You also can tell what it feels like to play, without worrying about how the pickups sound.

If you like the feel and sound of it acoustically, then plug it into an amp and see if it sounds as good as you thought.

Chris

[quote]Dr D's fave mantra - buy the bass that feels right in your hands - anything else can be sorted with a screwdriver , a soldering iron and a spray gun.[/quote]

[quote]Sod Aesthetics (as long as it doesn't compromise playability) and definitely Sod the name on the headstock![/quote]

as much as i try i just can't ignore the name on the headstock lol. lets face it. half of the reason for buying this bass is so that i dont have to wear something that says 'squire' on it around my neck

Simple, buy the most expensive Spector you can afford.

[quote name='LWTAIT' post='342102' date='Dec 1 2008, 05:05 PM']try fixing [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=32325"]this[/url] with a screwdriver, soldering iron and spray gun. :)[/quote]
Madre de dios - an abomination!

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='fretmeister' post='341805' date='Dec 1 2008, 12:33 PM']I'm very simple.

If it doesn't say "Status Graphite" on the headstock (or on the body!) then I won't buy it.[/quote]

Took the words right out of my mouth!! :)

But seriously, I do buy other brands of bass as well. As others have said, go for what feels right to you. If it feels like an uphill struggle to play, put it down. The "right instrument for you" will "play itself" in your hands. The least effort you need to make a pleasing sound is the best instrument for you. Alternatively, you can often find that many basses will feel so much better with just a new set of your preferred strings added into the mix. You never can tell! I also go for the sound I like... Make sure that you're trying basses through a good rig that you like the sound of & set the eq how you'd have it for a gig. Too many dealers will by default hand you a £2k bass to try through a 50 quid amplifier!

Best of luck with it & take your time. The first professional bass I bought (yep, a Status), I played for 16 years almost exclusively.

Rich.

It doesn't do any harm to bring someone with you, if he/she knows
what to look out for in a bass.(action,intonation etc.)
If you have someone you look up to whether it's Flea or cronos,you could
go for something in that line.

At the end of the day,so long as you love it and there are no flaws in it (bowed neck etc) you will make
a good purchase.
Hope you get a cool bass

It has to feel right in your hands. You have to really like playing it. The tone & sound can all be tweaked later.

Remember, you'll play better with a really comfortable bass that feels "right" and costs £250 than a bass that doesn't feel "right" but has a tone to die for and costs £5000.

[quote name='Hamster' post='342467' date='Dec 1 2008, 10:28 PM']It has to feel right in your hands. You have to really like playing it. The tone & sound can all be tweaked later.

Remember, you'll play better with a really comfortable bass that feels "right" and costs £250 than a bass that doesn't feel "right" but has a tone to die for and costs £5000.[/quote]
Damn right - I have a MIA Fender P that looks the mutt's nuts and is great to play ... but my Japanese Fender P bass, costing less than half as much, is actually the easier to play ... and hence for a semi-competent like me that means fewer screw-ups live

I love both but if I'm nervous about a gig, I will always opt for the easier-to-play option

[quote name='Currrls' post='342365' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:01 PM']as much as i try i just can't ignore the name on the headstock lol. lets face it. half of the reason for buying this bass is so that i dont have to wear something that says 'squire' on it around my neck[/quote]

the other day i played a new squire in my local shop that really made me rethink squires in general!!

it was awesome!! a squire standard series p bass with a jazz pickup at the bridge! it played really well! lovely jazz width neck! and for 200 quid?? seemed like a bargin to me!

im very impressed with what they can make for so little money these days!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='341744' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:33 AM']Dr D's fave mantra - buy the bass that feels right in your hands - anything else can be sorted with a screwdriver , a soldering iron and a spray gun.[/quote]

Definitely. Try basses out without them plugged in initially. If they don't feel right, stop there.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='341744' date='Dec 1 2008, 11:33 AM']I'd also advocate leaning towards classic , simple designs as a new bass owner. So I'm talking Jazz , Precision or Stingray styles.
Of course you may want something different and whacky as your experience develops - but you can only break a rule if you know it first.

If you took everyone who posts here off the forum if they didn't own one of these 3 design types there'd be about a dozen members left I should think. That says a lot to me.[/quote]
My idea of hell would be a room containing just bassists who owned Jazzes, Precisions, or Stingrays...

:)

Don't be afraid to try out anything, regardless of what it looks like. The best 4-string I've ever played was not from the "three classic styles".

[quote name='tauzero' post='342866' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:47 AM']Definitely. Try basses out without them plugged in initially. If they don't feel right, stop there.

My idea of hell would be a room containing just bassists who owned Jazzes, Precisions, or Stingrays...

:)

Don't be afraid to try out anything, regardless of what it looks like. The best 4-string I've ever played was not from the "three classic styles".[/quote]

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago so Iknow what you feel like. I basically looked to see what local guys were playing and i asked them why they chose theirs and what sound they were after.

I tried a couple of very low-end Chinese Fender copies which were excellent value for money but not the nicest of things. Comfort is my priority as you can nearly always find a sound you like with a comfy bass. My top tip (for your money) would be either a Japanese Jazz or Japanese Precision. They are very vell made and are excellent value for money, and bought right, you will get your money back. If you lived closer I'd let you try my Japanese P Bass which is beautiful in every way. It's a 1989, sunburst. I'd probably sell it as I have ended up with a Stingray which I believe to be a good all rounder. Good luck!

[quote name='Currrls' post='342365' date='Dec 1 2008, 09:01 PM']as much as i try i just can't ignore the name on the headstock lol. lets face it. half of the reason for buying this bass is so that i dont have to wear something that says 'squire' on it around my neck[/quote]

If that's what's bothering you, spend a tenner on some fake "Fender" decals. (eg [url="http://www.axesrus.com/decals.htm)"]http://www.axesrus.com/decals.htm)[/url] Sorted. Then you've still got £490 to spend on crack and whores. (OMG I've been reading too many of BBC's posts)

Just to throw another option into the mix - buy sensibly secondhand.

You never really know how you're going to get on with something (particularly sound-wise) until you've lived with it a little while and tried it in a band situation. Someone posted recently about how they'd bought and sold 10-odd used basses before they found one that really hit the spot. It cost them about £100 extra because they didn't feel like passing on postage charges, but if you buy carefully you need not lose out anything.

Buying new means that should you find it doesn't really nail the sound you want or cut through in a band, you'll immediately take a hit by selling it on.

[quote name='Earbrass' post='342950' date='Dec 2 2008, 12:55 PM']If that's what's bothering you, spend a tenner on some fake "Fender" decals. (eg [url="http://www.axesrus.com/decals.htm)"]http://www.axesrus.com/decals.htm)[/url] Sorted. Then you've still got £490 to spend on crack and whores. (OMG I've been reading too many of BBC's posts)[/quote]
hmm must say i do love crack and whores.

[quote]Just to throw another option into the mix - buy sensibly secondhand.[/quote]
may well be doing that now.

[quote]My top tip (for your money) would be either a Japanese Jazz or Japanese Precision.[/quote]
there's probably about a 50% chance of this happening

Buy a bass that looks sexy as f*ck. :)

I'm shallow I know but unless a bass is so damn good looking that I have to pick it up as soon as I see it then as the Dr says, all of the other things can be fixed/modded. If a bass looks like a piece of sh*t then no matter how it sounds I'm not going to want to play it or have anyone see me playing it.

I'm sure I could draw an analogy about whether you'd rather be seen with a bikini clad Supermodel who hasn't got the faintest idea of which end of a vacuum cleaner does the sucking (no BBC style pun intended), who can't boil an egg or a bird with a face like a Bulldog chewing a wasp who can wash dishes whist dusting the fireplace (again, no BBC pun) and simultaneously serves up the best soufflé ever! HOWEVER, that kind of analogy could be 'so easily' pulled apart... but you get the gist. :huh:

You could just sand the name off? There are quite a few people here with re-bagded Fender copies of various types...

[quote name='dangerboy' post='343280' date='Dec 2 2008, 05:36 PM']You could just sand the name off? There are quite a few people here with re-bagded Fender copies of various types...[/quote]
it's as much about it being something expensive and precious for myself as it is about looking good infront of other people.