Why become a member? ×

Spector fans!?!

thundachopz

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Thats lovely Nick. Dan aka @Dood did a fabulous video review of this model and I was sorely tempted

Ps, sure you know this, but the original US version of the bass (NS Shorty) was made for Gary Tallent of the E Street Band.

Thanks mate, I knew they did a Gary Tallent model a while back but couldn't find too much info as I think they've been discontinued. That said, I think they're discontinuing the Bantam too... 

4 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

"New Era" of a few more options and some minor tweaks

I’m on the fence with this. This all seems to be more like a Fender, or an another brand, when saying it’s a custom. The specs are defined rather than truly being a hand made instrument. I’ll always be a Spector fan, but now one is just ordering a limited spec’d bass at simply ridiculous prices. Go 2nd hand and buy something unique, or go Euro and save a fortune. Just my opinion, as an owner of 2 US Spector beauties, with another incoming ☺️

Edited by mattbass6
  • Like 3

Looks like they managed to streamline the process and offer more customization. They look great. Kinda sounds like there might be more CNC involved as well? Or at least they managed to program more variables into the system? I’ll be happy sticking with my Euro though. The US Models are way out of my league. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Raj_Shredder
  • Like 1

So the 6er arrived with a few issues including knobs which seem to have been glued on. 

I've attacked it with a palm sander and elbow grease - so it's gone from grey to natural. 

Plan is to replace the pvc scratchplate with a leather one.

I've managed to grab some leather scraps from ebay for a fiver - more than enough to make mistakes without worrying too much. May need to glue the leather to something to prevent it curling off - trip to craft shop when the leather arrives. 

More photos as it progresses.

image.png.9df39fdc7d57be9dde50e600580a7f5c.png

20230602_174925.jpg

20230602_174911.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So back in the Spector club..took the plunge on this  of reverb ..has no serial no which is strange..doesn’t look like an after market respray..

sounds and feels like a spector

34” scale so research tells me it’s and old Czech..set up was pretty poor and the paint is lifting around the headstock ..but for £500.00 I think it’s a bargain..

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2392.jpeg

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, patrikmarky said:

So back in the Spector club..took the plunge on this  of reverb ..has no serial no which is strange..doesn’t look like an after market respray..

sounds and feels like a spector

34” scale so research tells me it’s and old Czech..set up was pretty poor and the paint is lifting around the headstock ..but for £500.00 I think it’s a bargain..

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2390.jpeg

IMG_2392.jpeg

Congrats!  A black Spector with gold hardware - cannot get more classic than that. 

Yes, 34'' scale for a 5 string, dot inlays and the SSD logo probably all mean that it is a NS-5CR, built sometime between 93 and 99. They have their serial numbers inside the control cavity but sometimes they don't have any at all. Definitely a great bargain. Enjoy 👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_5521.thumb.jpeg.7d0e009a7b4dbabbc1bb39981e26da9e.jpeg

Made the switch to an ABM 6250 Nut. Note…. I did not say upgrade, so please do not take this as being one. It’s just different. 

Why? Well, I’m a stickler for low action and properly cut nut slots play a huge part in the equation. And, honestly, I hate filing. Now I can go a smidge too low, get buzzing on the open string and just raise it back a quarter turn. It’s marvelous. 

As far as fit goes, it dropped right in, but it is 46mm wide instead of 47mm and the string spacing is .5mm narrower. I actually quite like the slightly narrower spacing. All in all, I’m happy!! 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this picture I've taken a while ago when I was doing maintance to some of my Spectors. 

Gotta love a nice clean bass with freshly oiled boards and new strigs....especially if it's a Spector.

(Also big shoutout to EB Cobalt strings, they sound ace and last long) 

68B28912-0030-45C6-9B73-8309EB6022BE.thumb.jpeg.c10aa9b633dc54c900d4169724edd25c.jpeg

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

The white one is a classic thing of beauty. I wouldn't normally like a pink bass nut the one on the right is so shockingly bright that I quite like it.

Yes, it doesn't get any more classy than the white one, which is a custom Euro 435 with 35" scale length. The only white 435 I've ever seen. 

Nice occasion to share a better pic of it (laying on our neck-through dining table 🙂 )

IMG_9784.thumb.JPG.2196030d789c3bf68a6676f9b397b231.JPG

The pink one is notoriously hard to take a relevant picture of, here are two so you get the idea:

09F3ED9B-49A7-4DC5-B3FA-BE7FA5B94799.thumb.jpeg.5edf90ddfe2002d9a4f3d869a22cc8da.jpeg553560072_Spectorpink2.thumb.jpg.c650397529e45ac75c842a014949f36d.jpg

It is a pre-lx Euro 5 with EMG 40 P and J pickups and John East deluxe preamp.

A real joy to play. I think that's exactly what I'm gonna do this afternoon.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Yes, it doesn't get any more classy than the white one, which is a custom Euro 435 with 35" scale length. The only white 435 I've ever seen. 

Nice occasion to share a better pic of it (laying on our neck-through dining table 🙂 )

IMG_9784.thumb.JPG.2196030d789c3bf68a6676f9b397b231.JPG

Fully agree, my white Spector Mike Starr with the Haz 9V is also the only bass (not only Spector) that is safe from me selling it. What a killer bass 😍

8.2015SpectorEuro4LXMikeStarrLE.thumb.jpg.538b1b57b9fbaecd3a658cbf18d62295.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, attackbass said:

Just officially became a spector endorsee and ordered a Violet fade Euro 5 LT, coming on Friday! Very excited. Never thought I would go for that colour but it very much grew on me with the gold hardware. 

Congrats.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, attackbass said:

Just officially became a spector endorsee and ordered a Violet fade Euro 5 LT, coming on Friday! Very excited. Never thought I would go for that colour but it very much grew on me with the gold hardware. 

I have the 4 string version and what a bass it is!! The Barts coupled with the Darkglass preamp is amazing!

Well it arrived, suddenly!! Was stressful as I wasn't at home so luckily my parents patiently sat in my house and waited!

Amazing. The low B is incredible. The bass balances incredibly well, it's a nice weight. The finish is flawless! 

The sound flat is very full a natural, there's a lovely mid-range to the tone and it'll be interesting to open the control cavity up and see how it is set! The darkglass pre is very powerful!! Don't seem to need much boost or cut. The treble to my ears at least really gets that bitey spector growl!

All first impressions but very impressed! Always played Warwicks before!

IMG-20230905-WA0026.jpeg

IMG-20230905-WA0024.jpeg

• Like 5

@attackbass congratulations on your new Spector - is it your first one?  (also congrats to becoming an endorser) 

I have yet to try this LT5 version, I've been put off a bit by the reviews and general consesus about the barts but almost purchased one of these thrice already 

(Bartolinis I happen to like in some of my other basses but Spectors are EMG for me - apart for the '77 and '79 reissues with DiMarzios))

I think the Czech shop are really outdoing themselves lately, I have / had a couple of US Spectors and a handful of Czech ones (currently a small collection of 7 US/CZ basses ) and the gap is surely  narrowing. 

• Like 2

Hey, yep my first one!

I'm not usually a fan of bartolinis and more a fan of EMGs but it sounds good and the darkglass preamp seems quite aggressive. I initially thought I wanted a Classic 5 in black with EMG J pickups but I'm glad I went for the LT with that 35" scale..

The B string is outrageous..usually as I play further up the neck the notes lose their definition but on this they ring clear as if it was an E string! Blew me away.

One thing I noticed was the pickups were really close to the strings, is this normal with LTs?

• Like 2