Why become a member? ×

Paul Young touring 35 years of 'No Parlez'

police squad

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I never actually saw the talent or the appeal; I had mate who just loved him.  For me, it just seemed to me that you'd turn on the TV, there he was wheezing his way through Come Back and Stay or Love of the Common People.  On the strength of this thread, I decided to look him up on You Tube. 

The footage below isn't that pretty and it's something he should be able to sing while gargling TCP and it's only from a few months back, so if anyone is buying tickets, caveat emptor. 

I like Paul Young but that vocal performance is hideous, I would not be impressed by that if I had seen it in a pub for free, let alone pay for tickets to see it.

Some of these older vocal performers do not know when to give up when the voice is no longer what it used to be, it’s a real shame as it becomes slightly embarrassing watching them.

This is why the really good tribute bands do so well, because a lot of them are now better than the original acts in terms of performance.

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I never actually saw the talent or the appeal; I had mate who just loved him.  For me, it just seemed to me that you'd turn on the TV, there he was wheezing his way through Come Back and Stay or Love of the Common People.  On the strength of this thread, I decided to look him up on You Tube. 

The footage below isn't that pretty and it's something he should be able to sing while gargling TCP and it's only from a few months back, so if anyone is buying tickets, caveat emptor. 

The crowd sounded good!

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I got to 2 minutes odd and gave up, such a shame because he had a wonderful voice back in the day, In regard of the bass player, yes he's good but I stand by my original comment of "he ain't no Pino!"

5 hours ago, steantval said:

I like Paul Young but that vocal performance is hideous, I would not be impressed by that if I had seen it in a pub for free, let alone pay for tickets to see it.

Some of these older vocal performers do not know when to give up when the voice is no longer what it used to be, it’s a real shame as it becomes slightly embarrassing watching them.

This is why the really good tribute bands do so well, because a lot of them are now better than the original acts in terms of performance.

A lot of the time it's down to training, or lack of. I remember watching the vocalists at uni, they'd spend ages warming up before singing, not just their vocal chords either, many used to do yoga exercises to physically warm up.

He looks slightly over-weight there too, you have to be healthy and look after yourself, in my opinion anyway, especially for the sort of singing that he does, or did.

12 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

A little unfair to say, "I never actually saw the talent or the appeal", and then post a clip from 2017 to prove your point.

Paul Young's voice/throat problems have been well documented. He says himself that he can't sing how he used to. Whether his "new" singing style is acceptable, well...

3 hours ago, ambient said:

He looks slightly over-weight there too, you have to be healthy and look after yourself, in my opinion anyway, especially for the sort of singing that he does, or did.

You're being ironic, right? :/ 

10 hours ago, SteveK said:

A little unfair to say, "I never actually saw the talent or the appeal", and then post a clip from 2017 to prove your point.

Paul Young's voice/throat problems have been well documented. He says himself that he can't sing how he used to. Whether his "new" singing style is acceptable, well...

I think you're taking me out of context here.  The video I linked off You Tube was really given as fair warning and buyer beware to anyone should they be considering a ticket purchase in the misapprehension that it'll be just like old times.

That said, I don't believe that the guy, irrespective of the chameleonesque label he was wearing at the time (pop, rock, blue-eyed soul, soul, jazz), EVER  had what would pass as a decent voice and some 30-odd years later, I'm still flummoxed as to how he got as far as he did with so little.  A bit like Adam Clayton.

Edited by NancyJohnson