Why become a member? ×

Paul Young touring 35 years of 'No Parlez'

police squad

21 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

How is his voice these days? I heard he had real trouble singing a few years ago.
Not knocking him. Genuine concern.

A friend of mine saw him in Brighton recently, it was not great apparently. Such a shame, it was a great voice.

Showing my age here, I was lucky enough to see the original tour when he stopped in at the Derngate Centre in Northampton, from what I can remember he destroyed his voice doing the duet with Clanned for the track Both Sides Now where apparently he sang whilst suffering horrendous laringitis, I saw him a couple of times after the No Parlez tour and sadly his voice was never the same, I always had sympathy for the bass player though as, the elephant in the room was always.....yeah but he ain't no Pino!

31 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Showing my age here, I was lucky enough to see the original tour when he stopped in at the Derngate Centre in Northampton, from what I can remember he destroyed his voice doing the duet with Clanned for the track Both Sides Now where apparently he sang whilst suffering horrendous laringitis, I saw him a couple of times after the No Parlez tour and sadly his voice was never the same, I always had sympathy for the bass player though as, the elephant in the room was always.....yeah but he ain't no Pino!

Me too.  Back then he had one of the best and most distinctive voices of the generation.  Recent years I have seen his little band Los Pacaminos several times and his voice is totally shot to bits.  In the context of the Los Pacaminos band it actually works to his advantage that he does a gravelly talk and no singing (Jamie Moses is the star turn of the band, which are fantastic) but sadly I would think he would be cringeworthily embarrassing attempting all his earlier stuff nowdays. 

Paul Young Upcoming Tour Dates Are As Follows:

Sat September 29 2018 - HASTINGS White Rock Theatre
Sun September 30 2018 - POOLE Lighthouse
Mon October 01 2018 - CAMBRIDGE Corn Exchange
Wed October 03 2018 - BIRMINGHAM Town Hall
Thu October 04 2018 - FOLKESTONE Leas Clife Hall
Tue October 09 2018 - WARRINGTON Parr Hall
Wed October 10 2018 - NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE Tyne Theatre
Fri October 12 2018 - EDINBURGH Assembly Rooms
Sat October 13 2018 - GLASGOW O2 Academy Glasgow
Mon October 15 2018 - AYLESBURY Waterside6
Tue October 16 2018 - CHELTENHAM Town Hall
Wed October 17 2018 - SOUTHEND Cliffs Pavilion
Sun October 21 2018 - BASINGSTOKE Anvil
Tue October 23 2018 - CARDIFF Tramshed
Wed October 24 2018 - LONDON Palladium
Tue October 30 2018 - HULL City Hall

40 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Me too.  Back then he had one of the best and most distinctive voices of the generation.  Recent years I have seen his little band Los Pacaminos several times and his voice is totally shot to bits.  In the context of the Los Pacaminos band it actually works to his advantage that he does a gravelly talk and no singing (Jamie Moses is the star turn of the band, which are fantastic) but sadly I would think he would be cringeworthily embarrassing attempting all his earlier stuff nowdays. 

And me. Saw him and the band at Warwick University - between the time of the tickets being announced he appeared on The Tube and by the time the gig came around he was a pop star!

He and the band were great. 

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

In fairness if he’s passing through Manchester with the tour I’ll probably go anyhow, love that album 

He did Manchester Academy 2 a few months back Andy, (assuming it's the same tour). Nearest venue for upcoming dates is Parr Hall, Warrington on 9th Oct.

Just now, BassBunny said:

He did Manchester Academy 2 a few months back Andy, (assuming it's the same tour). Nearest venue for upcoming dates is Parr Hall, Warrington on 9th Oct.

I need to pay more attention, don’t look out for gigs as much as I used to.

5 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

Went to the Derngate gig, I’m pretty sure the support act was called Strawberry Switchblade.

• Like 1

I never actually saw the talent or the appeal; I had mate who just loved him.  For me, it just seemed to me that you'd turn on the TV, there he was wheezing his way through Come Back and Stay or Love of the Common People.  On the strength of this thread, I decided to look him up on You Tube. 

The footage below isn't that pretty and it's something he should be able to sing while gargling TCP and it's only from a few months back, so if anyone is buying tickets, caveat emptor.