Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Markbass CMD 102P 300/500W 2x10 Combo Amp vs Fender Rumble Stage 800 800W 2x10 Bass Combo Amp

Rob Fitch

Hello,

I am a new Bass player just learning how play. I just bought a used Markbass CMD 102P 300/500W 2x10 Combo Amp with cover for $799.00 used.  I am interested in the Fender Rumble Stage 800 800W 2x10 Bass Combo Amp because all the features and different sounds. Out of these 2 amps, which AMP is better for the money. The Fender is $799 new and the Marknass is $1149 new but got it used from guitar center for $799... What is a good AMP for beginners to grow in to and not out of? Thanks

Given you've already bought the MB I'd stick with that unless you can return it and swap it out? If so the MB is still a better quality combo but  I've heard good things about the  Rumble 800 too. I guess you have to ask yourself which sound you prefer ( and don't forget what you hear is not what the audience will hear). I like MB gear and have a CMD 121P and when I tried the Rumble 500 did not like the sound but the Rumble 800 has lots of toys. Different strokes for different folks...

• Like 1

Thanks for the Info, I 45 days to return the MB to guitar center. I just saw the Rumble Stage 800 and all it did for $799 and was surprised. The sales man told me to go with the MB because its a good quality amp and it was used for $799 (Reg $1199.00). Like I said I am new with the bass guitar but want a decent AMP for the money to grow in to... 

Also worth considering how old your Markbass combo is. If it has the combo head 2 and is made in Italy then you could probably sell in a few months time for (or very close to) what you paid for it. A new combo will lose several hundred dollars as soon as you take it out of the store.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

I've never owned a combo that has a tilt back capability but I have read they are really good for hearing what you are playing on stage. Although carpet covering requires a little more maintenance (brush/vacuum) I prefer it in the main to cheap Tolex (far east production?) that marks and tears way too easily

• Like 1

IMO you can do better than both these combos but at this point in your playing career it's not worth selling one for the other.

As you already own an amp that can make you sound good and being a "new" player, I would advise you keep what you got (forget what you sound like. . . it's good, believe me) and spend your time improving your playing and technique.

Your idea of a great sound will change in time and there are plenty of options at the next level, Save your money for when you get there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Anyone have experience of adding a 115 cab to the 102p? I'm feeling GAS.

Yup.

It was not a great choice. Too many EQ compromises to make the 15 sound great and the 10s sound great at the same time.

If you like it and want more - then get more of the same. Get a 2x10 cab. No EQ compromises then and you get more of what you like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Yup.

It was not a great choice. Too many EQ compromises to make the 15 sound great and the 10s sound great at the same time.

If you like it and want more - then get more of the same. Get a 2x10 cab. No EQ compromises then and you get more of what you like.

That is a really good point to be aware of. 

But query from me: could this not be relatively easily solved by putting an EQ pedal before the 15 ? That way you could have "your cake and eat" it i.e. sort the EQ out for each cab and benefit from the bigger lows that a 15" should deliver?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

That is a really good point to be aware of. 

But query from me: could this not be relatively easily solved by putting an EQ pedal before the 15 ? That way you could have "your cake and eat" it i.e. sort the EQ out for each cab and benefit from the bigger lows that a 15" should deliver?

Nope.

You won't find an EQ pedal that can take Speaker output levels.

And with modern cone design "bigger lows" linked to speaker size is rapidly becoming a myth. Anyway - most pro sound guys will be low cutting everything from the bass amp below about 50HZ (venue depending of course) anyway otherwise it gets boomy and muddy.

When I gig my helix - even with a 5 string I cut everything lower than 65HZ. Nice and tight and defined an zero boom / mud.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Nope.

You won't find an EQ pedal that can take Speaker output levels.

In which case that's a bit of a killer point you've raised. However folk do regularly mix cab sizes - so is this just a particular feature of the Markbass 2x10s and 1x15s?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

In which case that's a bit of a killer point you've raised. However folk do regularly mix cab sizes - so is this just a particular feature of the Markbass 2x10s and 1x15s?

Entirely depends on the cabs, the speakers in them, the amp driving them and the type of sound you want.

Some cab combos play very nicely together - some don't. Actually, IME most don't unless same driver in each one. Or a mix of drivers in a cab. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

And with modern cone design "bigger lows" linked to speaker size is rapidly becoming a myth.

I know that is something that folk are putting about i.e. a 115 is not going to be noticeably different to a 112 and a 112 to a 110, and 110 to 108 and a 108 to a 105

Following the logic a 105 is comparable to a 115 (or even a 405 vs a 115 to compensate for cone surface area and volume of air being pushed out).  I do find that hard to believe!

6 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Anyway - most pro sound guys will be low cutting everything from the bass amp below about 50HZ (venue depending of course) anyway otherwise it gets boomy and muddy.

When I gig my helix - even with a 5 string I cut everything lower than 65HZ. Nice and tight and defined an zero boom / mud.

No argument from me on that one!

• Like 1