Why become a member? ×

AC/DC - Black Ice

skankdelvar

Finally bought this and was pleasantly surprised at how they've (finally) pushed their envelope a bit. More song variety, textures, counter-rhythms etc. And some nice bass lines.

OK, it's a bunch of old Bobs doing their schtick for the 99th time, but much more adventurous than the last few albums. Whether it matches Back in Black or Highway to Hell is debatable, but give it time.

For a bunch of blokes pushing 60, not bad. If you've heard it, what do you think?

AC/DC are raw power i always respect bands i wouldnt want to get in a fight with! I saw some footage of them from the bonn scott days playing a tiny gig at colchester and it blew me away,they are one of the only bands where the death of the frontman did not make a lot of difference to there impact.

I've always thought that Brian Johnson sounded like he was going to have an accident when he sings with the amount of effort he puts into it.

Really like his voice but also like Bon's.

Just like Genesis - Phil can't sing Peter's songs as well as Peter used to. Peter probably couldn't sing Phil's stuff either

Listening to the album right now: some familiar riffs but some good stuff on there as well.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='336709' date='Nov 25 2008, 10:19 PM']Finally bought this and was pleasantly surprised at how they've (finally) pushed their envelope a bit. More song variety, textures, counter-rhythms etc. And some nice bass lines.

OK, it's a bunch of old Bobs doing their schtick for the 99th time, but much more adventurous than the last few albums. Whether it matches Back in Black or Highway to Hell is debatable, but give it time.

For a bunch of blokes pushing 60, not bad. If you've heard it, what do you think?[/quote]

+1 to all of the above.

Respect to the Acca Dacca!!!

I was in and out of a band years ago that did loads of AC/DC. They're still at it and good mates of mine. Massive DC fans. They told me not to bother with the new DC album and check out this lot instead.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=67T56ke2ywA"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=67T56ke2ywA[/url]

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='337413' date='Nov 26 2008, 04:37 PM']I was in and out of a band years ago that did loads of AC/DC. They're still at it and good mates of mine. Massive DC fans. They told me not to bother with the new DC album and check out this lot instead.
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=67T56ke2ywA"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=67T56ke2ywA[/url][/quote]
And what do you make of Airbourne? I think they're great! But I like the new DC album too...

Never been a huge ACDC fan but the new album is pretty good, at least initially. I think it fades away a bit from the middle onwards but that's typical of most current albums. They could probably pull 3 or 4 strong singles off it, probably going to be their most successful commercial recording for some time.
I saw Airbourne last week in Nottingham. They need to write more stuff but in a few albums time they are going to be able to put on a really cracking show. Currently they only do about an hour live as there isn't enough strong material to hold it together any longer but give 'em time...

Ive never really been able to "get" DC. It doesnt help that the track of their we cover in the band does not require the use of the fretting hand throughout the entirety of the song (Hell Aint A Bad Place To Be), so I use it to drink a pint with during the song.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='336855' date='Nov 26 2008, 12:36 AM']I've always thought that Brian Johnson sounded like he was going to have an accident when he sings with the amount of effort he puts into it.

Really like his voice but also like Bon's.

Just like Genesis - Phil can't sing Peter's songs as well as Peter used to. Peter probably couldn't sing Phil's stuff either

Listening to the album right now: some familiar riffs but some good stuff on there as well.[/quote]

I disagree a little there, (Respectfully) I reckon Phil does a decent approximation of Peters voice, However Peter does not have a good enough range to do Phil's stuff.

[quote name='Stag' post='337531' date='Nov 26 2008, 06:08 PM']Ive never really been able to "get" DC. It doesnt help that the track of their we cover in the band does not require the use of the fretting hand throughout the entirety of the song (Hell Aint A Bad Place To Be), so I use it to drink a pint with during the song.[/quote]

Bearing in mind which band we're talking about, I'm sure the song was deliberately written with that possibility in mind :) . Personally, I welcome any song in the set that enables one or both of my hands to have a little rest.