Why become a member? ×

Pickguard colour recommendations

Guest MoJo

I have just picked up another Vintage V4 vintage white P-bass with a rosewood fretboard. The body has yellowed slightly to the colour of vanilla ice cream. It currently sports a white pickguard, which doesn't look out of place, but I feel that it would look better with a different colour pickguard. I'm looking for recommendations, with photos if possible (to help me visualise). Photo of the actual bass, next to my original '70's Punk Rock P-bass' below

20180404_065601.thumb.jpg.ba950ba5f4d763f6bddc6e4a76108999.jpg

In that context, for me, black looks best. I think you’ve got it right with your punk bass! The maple necked Precision Bass I’m building at the moment will (probably) be aged vintage white with a black ‘guard, a la Squier’s Matt Freeman signature model, which I think looks great (not my picture). Probably not much help, but my thoughts nonetheless 🙂

0CE0C752-9FDA-4DFF-9814-DBE128030AFE.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BrunoBass said:

In that context, for me, black looks better. The maple necked Precision Bass I’m building at the moment will (probably) be aged vintage white with a black ‘guard, a la Squier’s Matt Freeman signature model, which I think looks great (not my picture).

0CE0C752-9FDA-4DFF-9814-DBE128030AFE.jpeg

I think black looks better with a maple board as per my bass, on the left, in the above image. Not so sure a black pickguard looks so good on a bass with a rosewood board. 

Gold is good, but better with maple. Tort is only good if it's good tort, which it won't be unless you spend proper money. In my humble view (as arbiter of good taste for the entire forum) :biggrin: - a very fine choice would be mint green. I HAVE SPOKEN!!

am_pro_p_bass_owt_rw_5_of_10_800x.jpg?v=

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, discreet said:

Gold is good, but better with maple. Tort is only good if it's good tort, which it won't be unless you spend proper money. In my humble view (as arbiter of good taste for the entire forum) :biggrin: - a very fine choice would be mint green. I HAVE SPOKEN!!

am_pro_p_bass_owt_rw_5_of_10_800x.jpg?v=

When you say 'proper money', I had my last custom pickguard made by Sims and it cost me close to £60, as I recall. Would you think I'd get a good tort from Sims?

I'm quite a fan of this look

fender-custom-shop-1964-l-series-precision-bass-heavy-relic-aged-vintage-white-253089.thumb.jpg.32a7902cae41fd60a3a8e418c7bfea57.jpg

Edited by MoJo

28 minutes ago, MoJo said:

Would you think I'd get a good tort from Sims? I'm quite a fan of this look

fender-custom-shop-1964-l-series-precision-bass-heavy-relic-aged-vintage-white-253089.thumb.jpg.32a7902cae41fd60a3a8e418c7bfea57.jpg

It's a good look and no mistake, but I'm probably the wrong one to ask as I'm a bit of a tort perve. I really only like original early 60s to mid 70s tort OR Spitfire Tort, which costs quite a bit. Hence the mint green suggestion. The mint-black-mint 3-ply guard looks really good with aged white (such as old oly white et al) and there are various shades of it. It's not too spendy either.

http://r.ebay.com/RrceGn

Edited by discreet