Why become a member? ×

New D’addario strings problem SOLVED!

ianrendall

58 minutes ago, Painy said:

Great customer service again!

D'Addario have supported a number of Bashes and donated strings to BC forum members via the Beta test group in the last few years...

I won't have a word said against them....

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

D'Addario have supported a number of Bashes and donated strings to BC forum members via the Beta test group in the last few years...

I won't have a word said against them....

Couldn't agree more.

Plenty of companies with good products that feel it let's them off having to provide decent service but if you've got a great product backed up by great service too then you deserve success.

• Like 1

I was so impressed with the products and their support of BC bass bashes, that they were the company I approached when setting up my repair/set up business. Have to say that the support for their dealers/traders is also exceptionally good. :)

• Like 2

I was using D'addarios and thought i would try DR's but going back to my D'addarios EXL190's. Pretty similar in feel and tone to the DR's i tried but far cheaper and they both last about same time before tone starts going approx 2mths. 

28 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I was using D'addarios and thought i would try DR's but going back to my D'addarios EXL190's. Pretty similar in feel and tone to the DR's i tried but far cheaper and they both last about same time before tone starts going approx 2mths. 

which DRs did you try/compared them to?

Been using D'Addarios practicly since i started playing bass. Had the usual experimentation period in the beginning with other brands but found that the price/timbre/lifetime ratio offered by D'Addario is the best one. In all these years i only got one dead B string in a set. Got it from Thomann so they were the ones i contacted with the issue. Next day a replacement string was in the post, no questions asked.

Proof that they're good guys..

D'Addario View as Web page

Enter to Win: Spring Pedalboard Giveaway

Enter to Win: Spring Pedalboard Giveaway

Get a fresh new sound this Spring by entering the D'Addario Pedalboard Giveaway! We've teamed up with our friends at JHS, Walrus Audio, EarthQuaker Devices and Pedaltrain on a compact board that packs a vast array of sound, from spacey to crunchy.
Plus, the winner will also get D'Addario's latest in custom pedalboard solutions: the DIY Cable Kit & the DIY Power Kit. And don't forget to check out Players Circle, D'Addario's rewards program, after you enter the giveaway.
ENTER NOW

See the Pedals

What's Included:
  • JHS Pink Panther Delay 
  • Walrus Audio Julia Chorus
  • EarthQuaker Devices Westwood Overdrive
  • D'Addario Chromatic Pedal Tuner
  • D'Addario DIY Cable Kit
  • D'Addario DIY Power Kit
  • NYXL Electric Strings
  • Pedaltrain Nano Pedalboard
Click here to see the full prize list & rules.

DAddario_Logo_White_Hires2.png
DAD_icon-instagram_white.png DAD_icon-facebook_white.png DAD_icon-twitter_white.png DAD_icon-youtube_white.png
Electric Strings
Acoustic Strings
Bass Strings
Classical Strings
Ukulele Strings
Mandolin Strings
Banjo Strings
Accessories
PC_Logo_white.png
Update Profile | Unsubscribe
D’Addario & Co. PO Box 290 Farmingdale, NY, 11735

7 hours ago, mcnach said:

which DRs did you try/compared them to?

DR Sunbeams. They are good enough strings but not a lot of difference to the D'addario's EXL190 i was using. That's just a personal opinion of course and others may well disagree.

• Thanks 1

@TheGreek  "Good guys" you say? 

They're effectively asking your permission to sell their mailing list to the pedal companies. Nothing is "Free" in this world.  You can be sure the pedal marketing organisation is paying D'Addario for this. Promoting the link means you go on and click to say "yes please, do send my mailing info to your customer".

If you click saying "no mailings" you *might* reduce your chances of success in getting anything. By law this should make no difference, but not all will be so reputable.

Thanks all the same :)

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

DR Sunbeams. They are good enough strings but not a lot of difference to the D'addario's EXL190 i was using. That's just a personal opinion of course and others may well disagree.

Thanks. I was curious because I'm a big fan of DRs and I was wondering which ones you were comparing them too. Previously I used to just get D'Addario (EXL170 in my case). I mostly use DR Fat Beams now (stainless steel) but also use Sunbeams, and I find them less bright from day one than the D'Addario, as well as more flexible... which is why I ended up preferring them. 

Just personal taste/opinion, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

Thanks. I was curious because I'm a big fan of DRs and I was wondering which ones you were comparing them too. Previously I used to just get D'Addario (EXL170 in my case). I mostly use DR Fat Beams now (stainless steel) but also use Sunbeams, and I find them less bright from day one than the D'Addario, as well as more flexible... which is why I ended up preferring them. 

Just personal taste/opinion, of course.

Gonna try another set Daddarios just to double check on my thoughts. The set i have on my Jazz i fitted end Jan and the tone is a bit bland. My PJ bass since Nov last year but they still sound ok on that bass but i generally use that bass for rock / metal. The Jazz i use for Glam Rock and anything else.

One of the reasons i changed to DR's was they were more flex and less tension but i don't really notice it that much compared to other basses i have with either Daddarios or Overwater strings (all nickel) 

Dave 

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Gonna try another set Daddarios just to double check on my thoughts. The set i have on my Jazz i fitted end Jan and the tone is a bit bland. My PJ bass since Nov last year but they still sound ok on that bass but i generally use that bass for rock / metal. The Jazz i use for Glam Rock and anything else.

One of the reasons i changed to DR's was they were more flex and less tension but i don't really notice it that much compared to other basses i have with either Daddarios or Overwater strings (all nickel) 

Dave 

Isn't that odd - I tried some DRs years go and didn't care for them because I found them too 'taut' compared to D'Addarios! It may be something to do with the specific string type - I use the EXL170s and find them a good balance between tight and flexible, for my taste at least. I took delivery of a new bass yesterday and the stock steels that were on it were very bendy and a bit floppy by comparison, even though the E and A were slightly heavier than the D'Addario nickels I normally use. I put on some EXLs and it improved things no end. Horses for courses, I suppose.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

Isn't that odd - I tried some DRs years go and didn't care for them because I found them too 'taut' compared to D'Addarios! It may be something to do with the specific string type - I use the EXL170s and find them a good balance between tight and flexible, for my taste at least. I took delivery of a new bass yesterday and the stock steels that were on it were very bendy and a bit floppy by comparison, even though the E and A were slightly heavier than the D'Addario nickels I normally use. I put on some EXLs and it improved things no end. Horses for courses, I suppose.

It depends which DRs you're talking about. The round core versions (Fat Beams and Sunbeams, not sure if there's others) are noticeably more flexible than the EXL170s I was using previously (similar gauges). But it's not as if the D'Addario nickels are particularly taut either, however I notice the difference. DR Hi Beams are more taut for sure. Not sure about the others in the range as I haven't tried them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcnach said:

It depends which DRs you're talking about. The round core versions (Fat Beams and Sunbeams, not sure if there's others) are noticeably more flexible than the EXL170s I was using previously (similar gauges). But it's not as if the D'Addario nickels are particularly taut either, however I notice the difference. DR Hi Beams are more taut for sure. Not sure about the others in the range as I haven't tried them.

That may explain it then - I'm pretty sure it was Hi Beams I tried.