Why become a member? ×

Will 2x8 cab handle pub gig for rock band?

Ajoten

The wife has had a grumble about the size of my amp, it only being a 1x15 combo, showing an ignorance of physics let alone the marketplace...

So I'm idly musing on this being permission to get something new of quality. My question is, given there are some nice looking 2x8 things of decent wattage (Trace, Mark bass), is such a device going to cut it on stage vs drummist and at least 1x distorted guitar? In a non DI/miked up environment, with no support from extension cab with fatter speaker. I fear a lack of er bassiness. 

The CMD 121 is certainly a great option, but you'll need an extension cab to deliver its full potential. 

If you want an excellent one-stop solution (and just possibly the best gigging combo around IMHO!), you could do worse than have a look at its bigger brother, the AC 121 Lite:

image.jpeg.349ef4b72dd50d67db599222a348df4e.jpeg

Delivers up to 500W as a stand alone. I've never really had to turn it up more than 3/6 for any pub gig...in fact it's about to get another outing in just over an hour's time :) 

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I’m just picturing the OP swapping out his 15” cab for a 12”, saving 3” of floor space. Wife takes one look and says “it’s still a bit big, isn’t it?”

xD

Never underestimate the benefit of 3" :D

8 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

I have 2 X Barefaced Super Compacts. 1 is plenty, 2 is fantastic.

+1. If you're going smaller and don't want to lose output you need not only a lot more power but also a driver with sufficient displacement to make use of that power. The drivers that Barefaced uses have the highest displacement available with electric bass drivers. Other manufacturers might, but there's no way of knowing, as they don't reveal their driver displacement.

• Like 1

Yeah, if looking to reduce in rig size I`d probably look at the Barefaced Super Midget and a suitable Class D head. When we did the cab shootout a few years back at the SE Bash I was really impressed with the quality and amount of sound form the Super Midget.

I picked up a Mesa walkabout 1x12 combo - sounds alright but importantly it's got green tolex, brown leather corners and a sand coloured grill so it looks good - the wife doesn't even mind if it's left in the front room. 

Now if I sold that and replaced it with a hairy black cab and head I think she would - regardless of size. I had a GK 2x10 combo for a bit and that wasn't a looker at all! 

26 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I picked up a Mesa walkabout 1x12 combo - sounds alright but importantly it's got green tolex, brown leather corners and a sand coloured grill so it looks good - the wife doesn't even mind if it's left in the front room. 

Now if I sold that and replaced it with a hairy black cab and head I think she would - regardless of size. I had a GK 2x10 combo for a bit and that wasn't a looker at all! 

You are allowed to leave gear in the front room? I'm clearly needing some tips here 😂

1 hour ago, RandomBass said:

You are allowed to leave gear in the front room? I'm clearly needing some tips here 😂

Get a nice Hotcovers cover for it, and let her indoors use it as a mini side board / coffee table. Job done :D