Why become a member? ×

High Pass Filters

funkydoug

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

sehr schlecht :D

So what's his ETA on the device and any indication on pricing?

I'm guessing there is no mock up of what it's going to look like / how compact etc?

It should have been released last year but his pcb fab messed up and he had to reorder 3 years worth of pcb stock again. 

There is a prototype pictured on that thread I sent you a link to. It's 125B size (roughly boss sized enclosure), north facing jacks, 3 controls (hpf frequency, lpf frequency and gain), 2 face mounted push switches to turn off hpf and lpf individually, footswitch for bypass and xlr output. 

No idea on price yet, but his other kits of similar complexity are €70 - 80 including a powder coated and screen printed enclosure. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2018 at 13:20, funkydoug said:

In case anyone is still interested in HPFs after about a week off ... the Broughton I bought got held up at customs who, together with Royal Mail, added a lovely charge of about £18, taking the cost of the pedal to about £118 all in.   The Thumpinator or another home-made options would have avoided this! 

Wow, that didn't last long! (Tbf a couple of my pedals only lasted a weekend before I decided they were not for me, for one reason or another).

Out of interest, what amp have you got that has rendered your Broughton redundant?

Long story but my ABM didnt have an HPF, so Ashdown sent me one (for free!)  They had a spare fully populated board,  from an ABM1000 I think,   so I'm going to get it fitted. That way it's all inside the head and is custom designed for the amp. 

Cant beat Ashdown for service! I would stress that although I'm hugely appreciative, I wouldn't expect they'd do it again as I think it was the last spare board in the workshop. 

So, still feel the 'need' for an HPF but I've had a change in amp circumstances,  rather than a new amp really! 

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 15:14, funkydoug said:

My question is ...  should I get one??? :facepalm:  I think I've been doing too much reading and have convinced myself that i need a HPF to protect speakers and improve efficiency etc. My amp doesn't have one and dedicated pedals seem a tad pricey for such an apparently simple thing. When I say pricey I mean they don't come up 2nd hand and are hard to justify when I am not sure if they are going to make an audible difference.

What 's your experience been and is it worth the cash and having to carry another box + power supply? 

About me: I play a passive but high output 4 string Jazz through an ABM Evo4 through some combination of a BFM Jack 12 and an Ashdown 408 neo cab. Rarely if ever plan to use both cabs together by the way .. but you never know!

Thanks folks :)

Need one? Probably not. But they can come very handy.

I would get a frequency-adjustable one, something like the Broughton Audio one. Small, simple, and not extremely expensive. I find it very useful to tame unwanted 'boomy' sound you get in some stages/rooms. THAT will be audible. It's surprising how much you can cut while still sounding fat and big. It helps getting a fat but clear bass, I find.

On 1/29/2018 at 19:00, BigRedX said:

You shouldn't be able to hear what a HPF is doing. The cut-off point should be set below the range of normal hearing and just filtering out those frequencies that are causing excessive cone movement but aren't actually producing any audible bass.

That's just one way to use it, for speaker protection. You can definitely turn up the cut off frequency higher into the audible range and get very useful results too. Bass is not that much about the lowest frequencies, for most people, even if they don't realise it until they check.

I used to have a Thumpinator, but once I tried a frequency-adjustable one, the Thumpinator went, as I often found useful to go above its rigid cutoff of 30Hz

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Need one? Probably not. But they can come very handy.

I would get a frequency-adjustable one, something like the Broughton Audio one. Small, simple, and not extremely expensive. I find it very useful to tame unwanted 'boomy' sound you get in some stages/rooms. THAT will be audible. It's surprising how much you can cut while still sounding fat and big. It helps getting a fat but clear bass, I find.

My Broughton is for sale in the BC marketplace if you're tempted :)

• 3 weeks later...

Was standing close up to my Mesa 2x12 cab with my Alesis drum machine running and found I could easily sense air displacement from the speakers. Ran it through some Zoom B3n patches for HPF use:

1) No effects patch - max air displacement, as expected

2) (new B3n) HPF Patch (x 2) at 30Hz cut - still considerable air displacement / relatively little impact on tone

3) ParaEQ (single) at 25Hz cut - significant reduction in air displacement / relatively little impact on tone

4) GEQ (single) at 50Hz cut - larger reduction in air displacement still, but quite a lot of loss of low end tone

The clear winner for me was the PEQ25Hz cut - big reduction in air displacement without adversely impacting the tone. Ok so I'm now a fan of this particular Zoom effects patch as an effective HPF and suspect I'm not going to be needing anything else. It would make sense to have this as an 'always on' patch on my smaller Zoom MS-60B, which is on my board, and include it with any other effects patches as well. My B3n is largely getting used as a (actually really good!) headphone amp these days, plus an easier interface for working on effects patches before deciding whether to use them on the MS-60B. I'm kinda 'relieved' that the new HPF patch on the B3n wasn't that good as it's not available on the MS-60B, even with the ver 2.0 software upgrade.

I'll have a go a doubling the PEQ patch, at some point, to see if that improves it further still or whether any further reduction in air displacement is offset by any noticeable loss of tone.

Edited by Al Krow

Guest adi77

i use broughton's high pass low pass for a vintage type tone or when i want to push my drive and eq pedals a little more than normal and then control the overall freq limits with the hp/lp

Edited by adi77

Quick update on my post above - for those interested, I mentioned that I'd try the PEQ with additional patches to see whether that improved things. The settings I ended up with for three PEQ patches in series:

• Centre settings one at 20Hz and two at 25 Hz (32 Hz and higher started to impact audible bass tone);
  • Q (= dispersion?) set at mid point 4.0 (increasing Q value reduced impact on the air displacement but correspondingly less noticeable impact on bass tone and vice versa for a lower Q value)

The triple PEQ is very effective at reducing air displacement but there is a slightly increased loss of bass tone as compared to a single PEQ patch, so there's a bit of a trade off.

Conclusion: the Zoom PEQ patch seem to work very well as an HPF and the effectiveness increases when the patches are stacked. If I end up using my B3n as a HPF and a headphone amp and for nothing else (which won't be the case, I'm sure) it's justified surviving for a while longer in the Krow bass cave... :) 

PS Dunno if, like me, you get moans from the missus about the premises shaking when you're playing bass at home, even though you're not being particularly loud. I'm guessing / hoping this HPF Zoom patch is going to put an end to that as well!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Guest adi77
4 hours ago, krispn said:

Omni can sim is a pedal worth checking out if that’s your thing

Cool, thanks was actually looking for one :) 

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Quick update on my post above - for those interested, I mentioned that I'd try the PEQ with additional patches to see whether that improved things. The settings I ended up with for three PEQ patches in series:

• Centre settings one at 20Hz and two at 25 Hz (32 Hz and higher started to impact audible bass tone);
  • Q (= dispersion?) set at mid point 4.0 (increasing Q value reduced impact on the air displacement but correspondingly less noticeable impact on bass tone and vice versa for a lower Q value)

The triple PEQ is very effective at reducing air displacement but there is a slightly increased loss of bass tone as compared to a single PEQ patch, so there's a bit of a trade off.

Conclusion: the Zoom PEQ patch seem to work very well as an HPF and the effectiveness increases when the patches are stacked. If I end up using my B3n as a HPF and a headphone amp and for nothing else (which won't be the case, I'm sure) it's justified surviving for a while longer in the Krow bass cave... :) 

PS Dunno if, like me, you get moans from the missus about the premises shaking when you're playing bass at home, even though you're not being particularly loud. I'm guessing / hoping this HPF Zoom patch is going to put an end to that as well!

Al Krow, is the PEQ patch, that you identified as a suitable HPF, availabe on the Zoom B1 & B1xon?

Does anyone have a Zoom B1 or B1xon who would be kind enough to check & confirm? 

26 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Al Krow, is the PEQ patch, that you identified as a suitable HPF, availabe on the Zoom B1 & B1xon?

Does anyone have a Zoom B1 or B1xon who would be kind enough to check & confirm? 

yep it's available on the B1on, 

https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/B3_Operation Manual.pdf

With the PEQ set at 30hz, the rolloff curve could be starting around 100hz or higher depending on the Q. With the Lo Eq set on HPF at 50hz that is where the rolloff starts. I find on the Fishman Pro Platinum, the sweet spot is around 100-120hz. 

My Quilter BB800 has a fixed HPF at 25hz and the Deep control acts as an additional variable slope HPF at 100hz when anti clockwise.