Why become a member? ×

RCF HD 10 vs Barefaced One10

jrixn1

I suppose you have to take weight into the equation. The RCF  745 comes in at over 43lbs.  Not huge, but  will have a bearing on things for some.

By the way, even though not designated  " NX "  , it still sports a 15" neo driver

Edited by fleabag

For me, the weight was an important factor.  Barefaced have spoiled me in that regard!

Perhaps it's a funny way to do it, but my approach was...

• went to Thomann "Active Full-Range Loudspeakers" section
  • filtered out anything over 12kg
  • selected only 1x12" and 1x10"
  • ordered by price (high to low)

Then I (more or less) decided to get the first one from any manufacturer I'd actually heard of.

Here is a link if you want to play along: https://www.thomann.de/gb/active_loudspeakers_fr.html?oa=prd&filter=true&feature-50669%5B%5D=1x%2012%22&feature-50669%5B%5D=1x%2010%22&feature-50599-first=1.5&feature-50599-last=12

This ended up being the RCF HD 10-A, at £411.  (Although I subsequently found it cheaper at gear4music.)

Would a Syrincs S3A (£555) or FBT EVO2Maxx 2 AC (£459) have been any better?  (Never heard of either of them.)

• 3 weeks later...

I read this thread a week or so ago when I was looking to use something a bit smaller than my Vanderkley 1x15 for rehearsals. We have to go up a narrow set of stairs, and while the cab is light its a bit of a struggle if I’m carrying other things as well. I was going to buy a smaller cab, maybe a BF 1x10 or something like that, but didn’t really want to spend much money. 

So I dug out one of our db technology powered 1x15 PA cabs. I wasn’t sure how well it would work just going from my pedal boardi,, but it worked really well. In fact I much preferred the tone I had that night over anything I’ve had recently at rehearsals. It also made setting up much quicker. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I read this thread a week or so ago when I was looking to use something a bit smaller than my Vanderkley 1x15 for rehearsals. We have to go up a narrow set of stairs, and while the cab is light its a bit of a struggle if I’m carrying other things as well. I was going to buy a smaller cab, maybe a BF 1x10 or something like that, but didn’t really want to spend much money. 

So I dug out one of our db technology powered 1x15 PA cabs. I wasn’t sure how well it would work just going from my pedal boardi,, but it worked really well. In fact I much preferred the tone I had that night over anything I’ve had recently at rehearsals. It also made setting up much quicker. 

Between us, we are killing rock and roll.

• Haha 1

On 09/01/2018 at 20:00, jrixn1 said:

Would a Syrincs S3A (£555) or FBT EVO2Maxx 2 AC (£459) have been any better?  (Never heard of either of them.)

FBT is midrange/top end stuff, same kind of league as RCF and l'Acoustics.

Not heard of Syrincs.

10 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I wouldn't put RCF or FBT in the same league as L'Acoustics. L'Acoustics is a considerable step up.

Hmm, fair enough. I just think you (well, 'I', the royal 'you') only ever really see RCF's lower end stuff. Which I appreciate is still pretty high-end, but they do some ultra-nice touring and theatre stuff that sells for the prices of small hatchbacks.

Meh, either way the point was that FBT make decent stuff.

• 9 months later...

Yes, an HD 10-A matches a Barefaced One10 (powered by 500W amp) - both in general volume, and quality of bass response.  I play in a large function band which mostly has PA support and so use my rig just for monitoring, and found either setup can match a reasonable drummer.

I ended up with two HD 10-A, for the occasional situation where I need to cover the room without PA support.  (I also had two One10s for the same reason.)  The HD 10-A are both up for sale if anyone's interested, as I decided to swap to using a single RCF 732A instead (but if so be quick, as also on eBay auction which happens to be finishing this afternoon).

Edited by jrixn1

On 07/01/2018 at 12:00, chris_b said:

Probably not.

That is peak power. The cab is only rated at 400 watts. . . .  and definitely a lot, lot less than that for bass frequencies.

I was half thinking of putting my bass through our pair of RCF 10s (400W RMS apiece) which we're using as the PA to see how they would stack up...but that last statement seems to be a bit of a killer point for us bassists. So it doesn't seem worth getting a bigger mixing desk, which would be needed, to accommodate a further input from me?

Edited by Al Krow

43 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Ah, so you’ve ended up with the near-identical sibling to my HD32a @jrixn1. It’s fantastic isn’t it? 

It's a monster!

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I was half thinking of putting my bass through our pair of RCF 10s (400W RMS apiece) which we're using as the PA to see how they would stack up...but that last statement seems to be a bit of a killer point for us bassists. So it doesn't seem worth getting a bigger mixing desk, which would be needed, to accommodate a further input from me?

You should try it out - perhaps during a sound check before the singer plugs in, or any other time when you can nab a free channel. Let us know what happens.

11 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

It's a monster!

You should try it out - perhaps during a sound check before the singer plugs in, or any other time when you can nab a free channel. Let us know what happens.

Good shout. No reason not to try it for sure! 

• Like 1