Why become a member? ×

I bought a new bass it got delivered today!

NJE

Well its not groundbreaking and its not a £5000 custom fodera or anything like that but I am happy.

I bought a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V from a fellow "chatter" who was extremely kind and delivered it to Cheltenham all the way from Wigan.

For those not in the know its this bass:
[attachment=15977:fender03...506f_big.jpg]

I have to say i have had it for 30 minutes and its absolutely cracking. I cannot believe more people do not own these it is simply brilliant! I have been reading some write ups on talkbass from our cousins across the pond and thought they were over dooing it a bit, but it is seriously good. The hardware as expected is not all that but a few quid will sort that out. The neck and the frets are brilliant and the profile feels just like my Roscoe Beck V but without the slight thinning towards the treble side of the neck. Its flat and quick and I love the spacing.

So anyway its my christmas present from the missus and I am not allowed to play with it til christmas but in the meantime I am planning the "mods"

What does everyone think, new chrome hardware, or go black across the board?

here is one from talkbass which has gone all black:

[attachment=15978:squierdone2.jpg]

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='329183' date='Nov 14 2008, 03:23 PM']That is very sexy (probably the sexiest Squire I’ve seen in a long time), and you’ve not got long to wait till you're allowed to play it :huh: I'd sneak a couple of cheeky minutes here and there when the missus wasn't looking though :huh:[/quote]

I was not too worried when the missus said I wasnt allowed to play because I thought " how can she stop me, its in the house" yup she outsmarted me! she is giving it to my Dad who is visiting, to take back to Wales with him until we both go back there for Christmas. NOT FAIR :) there is no icon for stroppy!!

Squier really have upped their game a lot in the past year or so, I hope Fender are watching, Imagine If they made a MIM or MIJ special like this, they would have their hands bitten of up to the elbows!

Anyway some pictures in the mod thread as soon as possible it does need some hipshot upgrades.....STAY CHROME or GO BLACK WITH THE HARDWARE.....I CANT DECIDE!!!!

[quote name='ped' post='329203' date='Nov 14 2008, 03:49 PM']Sexy :^0 ...is that an ebony board?[/quote]

No its "ebanol" I dont know what that is but it has a very nice feel to it and it adds to the look because it is very black!

(quick google) its phenolic, so plastic to cut away the rubbish but it feels good and very snappy sounding great slap ton eon this thing.

[quote name='ped' post='329210' date='Nov 14 2008, 04:03 PM']Excellent, Phenolic is a great fingerboard material IMO!

Cheers
ped[/quote]
+1

go stealth and go all black i reckon, smashing looking bass

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='ped' post='329215' date='Nov 14 2008, 04:11 PM']Am I the only one who finds 'stealth' basses a bit TOO black?? I think this looks very nice as it is!

ped[/quote]

It's only too black if the strings are as well, whereas I find silver on black a tad tacky.

I have to say I was originally all up for black everything but then had the same thought as Ped.....would it be tooooo Black? After looking at the talkbass forum one again though I think Black will be the way to go, and yes i will be looking for a black switch, in fact you get a free black swith with the aguilar pre I have been looking at......

I will be ordering the new parts as soon as possible, the bass is great in every way but the tiny tiny issue I have is that it does neck dive a tiny bit so some black hipshot lights are the solution.

Thanks for all the comments, some more playing this evening has confimed how great this bass is and the EQ is nowhere near as bad as some on TB have made out, in fact i was all up for changing it but i am not going to bother. I have to say I do fancy some Nordstrand big singles or fat stacks but that is way off, hardware is whats needed.

Black it is then! watch this space, I will do another "build/mod" thread like I did with my warwick as soon as i get my hands on the bass.

[quote name='NJE' post='329338' date='Nov 14 2008, 06:53 PM']Black it is then! watch this space, I will do another "build/mod" thread like I did with my warwick as soon as i get my hands on the bass.[/quote]

"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

Good man. Nigel would be proud

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='329341' date='Nov 14 2008, 06:56 PM']"It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black."

Good man. Nigel would be proud[/quote]

Ha Ha......Genius! well done sir! I want to watch that now.

[quote name='NJE' post='329175' date='Nov 14 2008, 03:11 PM']I bought a Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V from a fellow "chatter" who was extremely kind and delivered it to Cheltenham all the way from Wigan.[/quote]
Blimey! That's over 250 miles as a round trip!!! :) Incredible service...

Nice bass btw..

Edited by silverfoxnik