Why become a member? ×

Any The Cure fans here?

The Cure kind of passed me by at a time when I should have been probably paying more attention. I just wasn't into their thing at the time I guess. I spent most of my time listening to Alice Cooper, Kiss, Genesis, Rush etc

But now I have time on my hands, as is often the case, I get hooked on an artist I missed and voraciously devour everything I can find by them.

I was a bit gutted to find that not only have they not done much live stuff this year, that they also did quite a large tour in 2016 and there is nothing planned for 2018 apart from Hyde Park which will be there only European date. At 2018 is their 40th Anniversary year.

That can't be right can it?

I'm starting on amassing my The Cure collection. What do I have to look forward to?

1 minute ago, T-Bay said:

Massive fan, but last tour wasnt their best. So much quality, and a lot wider range than most people think. Wish still stands out as my favourite listen to when  ‘slightly whizzed/ out of it’ album.

Ha ha. Wish is the only CD album I have. I remember picking that up because I heard Friday I'm In Love and thought that was good, but the whole album is so much better.

That makes me feel better that I missed them at their second best in 2016 though. Thanks.

I saw them live at Glastonbury (1984?) - before that I'd sort of ignored them - fuelled mainly by the video in the wardrobe falling off a cliff. They were excellent.

If you can find a copy of "Standing on the Beach" you're pretty much getting a tour of their early hits. Could do worse.

6 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Yup - Cure fan here.

Hiram - is Lullaby in that YT vid ?  I didnt go through  to find out, but i love this track

Yep. The track list is in the header....

1. Plainsong 00:01:03 2. Picture of you 00:05:44 3. Lullaby 00:12:53 4. High 00:17:33 5. The end of the world 00:21:20 6. Lovesong 00:24:54 7. In between days 00:28:35 8. Just like heaven 00:31:36 9. From the edge of the deep green sea 00:35:35 10. The walk 00:43:16 11. Mint car 00:46:48 12. Friday I'm in love 00:50:33 13. Doing the unstruck 00:54:18 14. Trust 00:58:28 15. Want 01:03:35 16. Fascination street 01:08:44 17. The hungry ghost 01:13:38 18. Wrong number 01:18:30 19. One hundred years 01:24:56 20. Disintegration 01:31:34 Encore 21. The lovecats 01:42:01 22. The caterpillar 01:45:35 23. Close to me 01:49:29 24. Let's go to bed 01:53:05 25. Why can't I be you? 01:56:34 26. Boys don' cry 01:59:55

My wife is/was a huge fan, but her interest has waned somewhat, lack of new material and diminishing returns.  

I think they've been a great singles band, but I'd find it difficult to pick more that five non-single tracks that appeal to me.

It is a great feeling to acquaintance yourself with a band with a huge back catalogue...I've experienced this with XTC for about the last three or four years.  I liked their singles back in the day but beyond that I wasn't interested for precisely the same reason as you; too much Kiss and Rush and Starz and Aerosmith and and and.

4 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

My wife is/was a huge fan, but her interest has waned somewhat, lack of new material and diminishing returns.  

I think they've been a great singles band, but I'd find it difficult to pick more that five non-single tracks that appeal to me.

It is a great feeling to acquaintance yourself with a band with a huge back catalogue...I've experienced this with XTC for about the last three or four years.  I liked their singles back in the day but beyond that I wasn't interested for precisely the same reason as you; too much Kiss and Rush and Starz and Aerosmith and and and.

Ah yes, XTC. Must have been going through that about the same time as you. Bought their compilation for my wife and got hooked myself. Great band.

Starz, now there's a name I haven't heard for a while!

Love Aerosmith too, but always have since I first heard Sweet Emotion. The Toxic Twin Towers Ball was a great gig. Last one at the old Wembley Stadium as I recall?

20 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ah yes, XTC. Must have been going through that about the same time as you. Bought their compilation for my wife and got hooked myself. Great band.

Starz, now there's a name I haven't heard for a while!

Love Aerosmith too, but always have since I first heard Sweet Emotion. The Toxic Twin Towers Ball was a great gig. Last one at the old Wembley Stadium as I recall?

There was a load of decent US stuff back then.  In hindsight, my obsession with Kiss was somewhat overwhelming and it was like taking Geoff Barton's word on things a little too literally, whatever he wrote positively about was almost certainly going to appeal to me.  Starz have stood the test of time very well.

5 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

The Cure... Love the first bunch of albums. Later stuff not so much. 

Simon Gallup is a very under rated bass player. His Schecter Ultra bass is cool as...

Yes, he swaps between a black one and a white one on the Lollapalooza show and they look and sound great.

I could never play a bass that low though. It even look a little uncomfortable for him in a couple of places. 

What a great gig to have though. Not hideously complicated, but a lot of power play.