Why become a member? ×

Fake logos on instruments

prowla

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Didn't Francis Rossi have a 'loop hole' in his Fender?

Yes! Yes, he did!

Mind you, he's modded that Tele so much it prolly no longer qualifies as a Fender even though it's got a Fender logo on the headstock.

Nee-Ner-Nee-Ner-Nee-Ner! Logo Police Assemble!

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Nee-Ner-Nee-Ner-Nee-Ner! Logo Police Assemble!

I’m thinking of listing this as genuine Fender 288676DF-B77E-44D0-ADC2-197763F6BD89.jpeg.3fb9de6afb5c547cc967eae4e0718689.jpeg

do you reckon I’ll get away with it??? 

I think I’d better get the logo police to make a ruling on it 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

It wasn't:shok:

If anyone would shove his old chap through a pre-drilled hole in his guitar the better that a groupie might perform fellatio upon him it would probably be Mr Francis Rossi.

Quite ingenious, when you think about it:  "...and here, just behind the bridge, is the pink wang bar. Give it a go..."

• Haha 1

5a453c33d32fe_logopolice.jpg.ebd584386cd0cae5a12ee8a5c98a9747.jpg

For immediate release:

The Logo Police are pleased to announce the appointment of Mrs Larly Crudgington as Commissioner for Fake Logos with special responsibility for the letter F.

Mrs Crudgington will commence her duties on Jan 2nd and will immediately address the issue of counterfeit FMIC (Fender) logos in the private sales sector. Addressing a gathering of her fellow Commisioners, Mrs Crudgington said:

"I am deeply concerned at the rising incidence of fake Fender logos. There are literally thousands of recorded instances of death and serious injury associated with Squier Affinity instruments being sold as the kosher item. Knock knock, who's there? It's Larly C, so felons beware". 

5a453e688646b_fatsuperhero.jpg.18890896462e4dfa0c394b411352e07d.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

5a453c33d32fe_logopolice.jpg.ebd584386cd0cae5a12ee8a5c98a9747.jpg

For immediate release:

The Logo Police are pleased to announce the appointment of Mrs Larly Crudgington as Commissioner for Fake Logos with special responsibility for the letter F.

Mrs Crudgington will commence her duties on Jan 2nd and will immediately address the issue of counterfeit FMIC (Fender) logos in the private sales sector. Addressing a gathering of her fellow Commisioners, Mrs Crudgington said:

"I am deeply concerned at the rising incidence of fake Fender logos. There are literally thousands of recorded instances of death and serious injury associated with Squier Affinity instruments being sold as the kosher item. Knock knock, who's there? It's Larly C, so felons beware". 

5a453e688646b_fatsuperhero.jpg.18890896462e4dfa0c394b411352e07d.jpg

I think Prowla has just been appointed as chief investigator 

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

IIRC, the question was asked only after you'd already jumped into a for sale ad here to express your view about logos. Moreover, Karl alleges you recently piled into his FB ad.

Look, it's OK if you want be a logo vigilante. Do what you like; no one can stop you. But with respect I don't think this thread was started from a neutral viewpoint and as a disinterested solicitation of opinion. I do think that it will end up making more work for the mods and for microscopic practical gain. 

That's OK, you can draw your own conclusions; if I see something peddling fake wares as I am browsing, I will call it out.

Actually, I started this thread after visiting the for-sale one and also after noticing the revised T&Cs of another site.

I think that the outcome may be microsocopic work for the mods (max 1 item per day, quickly despatched) for a significant gain (not providing a patform for the sale of illegal goods) and that would make this a better place to be.

My Marketplace 'patrol zone' is Amps and Cabs For Sale'. Any Reports of trademark infringement there will require exacting evidence from the Reporter before action on my part. All Reports are dealt with; some imply interaction on the part of the Reporter. This will be such a case. Now, Report away. :|

12 minutes ago, prowla said:

If I see something peddling fake wares as I am browsing, I will call it out.

I think you’ve been asked this question but have you been a victim of buying a fake? If not why is it sooo important to you?

Also what training course did you take to become an expert on spotting fakes? Or do you just call it on based your own opinion?

29 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Anyone got any Impact Studies regarding the affect on second-hand Bass Sales?

Yes, they were written months ago. The dog ate them. They don't exist. They've been heavily edited. We've decided to suspend democracy. Please call me Adolf. I'd have 'em all hanged and pull the lever myself. D. Davis is a tosser. My bum hurts. (Delete as applicable).

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, prowla said:

I think that the outcome may be microsocopic work for the mods (max 1 item per day, quickly despatched) for a significant gain (not providing a platform for the sale of illegal goods) and that would make this a better place to be.

Must be some new meaning of the word 'microscopic' I wasn't aware of. Mods are busy enough as it is.

One item per day? Is that the number of 'misdemeanours' you're expecting? How did you arrive at this number?

There is no significant gain in not providing a platform for the sale of illegal goods, because no illegal goods are sold here.

I have a great idea about how to make 'this' a better place to be, but forum rules preclude my posting it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I think you’ve been asked this question but have you been a victim of buying a fake? If not why is it sooo important to you?

Also what training course did you take to become an expert on spotting fakes? Or do you just call it on based your own opinion?

Well, I posed the question and then there was a frenzy of responses, questions demanding answers, and so-on, to which I replied.

Why do you want to know whether I've bought a fake? I've mentioned a couple of instances of knowing people being stung; surely that's sufficient.

Let me ask you a question: Do you think a site is for the benefit of the sellers or the buyers?

And another: Do you think that if someone spots something wrong they should just walk away because it's none of their business, or should they flag it up?

As for your last question, that is just too sneery to deserve a response.

1 minute ago, prowla said:

As for your last question, that is just too sneery to deserve a response.

If you are going to be one man on a mission to rid the world of fakes then surely that is a legitimate question? How are you qualified to call out fakes??

48 minutes ago, prowla said:

That's OK, you can draw your own conclusions; if I see something peddling fake wares as I am browsing, I will call it out.

Actually, I started this thread after visiting the for-sale one and also after noticing the revised T&Cs of another site.

I think that the outcome may be microsocopic work for the mods (max 1 item per day, quickly despatched) for a significant gain (not providing a patform for the sale of illegal goods) and that would make this a better place to be.

Perhaps the Christmas break has impaired your recollection of events during the course of this year. For indeed, you have form for jumping into sales threads to point out logo transgressions:

Prior to the 'triggering' incident of a week or two ago, you commented in a sales thread in October:

prowla said:

It's illegal to sell a counterfeit instrument which incorporates a trademarked logo.

Ped replied to you saying:

The seller has been open about it and plenty of people buy the decals and use them.

There's nothing we can do on BC to verify originality anyway, so if a seller is honest there's no problem in my eyes.

On June 18th you replied to an ad for a bitsa Jazz saying:

Shame it's got a Fender logo on it.

Then on Jan 17th you expatiated in a more general sense on logos:

dlloyd said:

As long as the custom decal doesn't say Fender, fine.

THAT!

There are so many fake/counterfeit "Fender"s around, selling with a "Fender" logo is dishonest, just waiting for some poor mug to buy one thinking they've got the real thing.

(I also think Fender have muddied the waters a bit by branding Squiers as "Squier by Fender", so that people can advertise them as Fenders.

Funnily enough, only three days before you had described taking delivery of a Rickenfaker with a fake Ric logo. Fair play for removing it as you did. But surely in buying it you were party to a transaction where intellectual copyright was infringed. 

So basically, you want to stop people selling basses with fake logos but it's OK for you to buy one?

I put it to you that your unhappiness with fake logos in sales ads is nothing new. You have repeatedly broken forum rules by posting in sales threads where you should have PM'd. You have already had a discussion about fake logos with one of the forum's owners who has made his position clear. I suggest that far from being a spontaneous expression of concern you started this thread in an attempt to change forum policy. You want to stop people selling items with fake logos but you're happy to buy them.

Shall I go on?

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Perhaps the Christmas break has impaired your recollection of events during the course of this year. For indeed, you have form for jumping into sales threads to point out logo transgressions:

Prior to the 'triggering' incident you describe, you commented in a sales thread in October:

Ped replied to you saying:

On June 18th you replied to an ad for a bitsa Jazz saying:

Then on Jan 17th you expatiated in a more general sense on logos:

Funnily enough, only three days before you had described taking delivery of a Rickenfaker with a fake Ric logo. Fair play for removing it as you did. But surely in buying it you were party to a transaction where intellectual copyright was infringed. 

So basically, you want to stop people selling basses with fake logos but it's OK for you to buy one?

I put it to you that your unhappiness with fake logos in sales ads is nothing new. You have repeatedly broken forum rules by posting in sales threads where you should have PM'd. You have already had a discussion about fake logos with one of the forum's owners who has made his position clear. I suggest that far from being a spontaneous expression of concern you started this thread in an attempt to change forum policy. You want to stop people selling items with fake logos but you're happy to buy them.

Shall I go on?

Be careful that might be considered as sneery so he won’t answer it 

No, Skank, stop it please; my sides are hurting..! It's not good for my hypertension. Let the poor bloke skulk privately for awhile whilst I get my short breath back. Then we can carry on; I'm retired, you know. I've lot's of spare time.