Why become a member? ×

Fake logos on instruments

prowla

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

Not at all.

its a plea for removing all Limelight’s and everything with disclaimers or anyth7ng flagged with adequate proof. And updated rules to be agreed by every seller that what they are selling is legitimate AND that if discovered otherwise the seller will indemnify the buyer AND the owners of BC.

And a rule that says - if the seller added the logo then they know it’s not legitimate (Fender do not sell logos at all, ever) and should not be listed.

Is the selling of a bass with an unauthorised logo on it against the law, or is it not..? Your posts up to now seem to suggest that it is. Therefore BC must not allow them, or risk becoming 'second defendant' in a court case. Yes or no..?

Interesting scenario - i did this.  I had a Fender Precision Lyte bass that had a badly refinished body that was almost but not quite the matching colour for the original headstock.  I had the body refinished, sanded the headstock down to natural wood and had a duplicate decal made with the original serial number.  Where does this fit?

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Thing is, Trigger Broom types can be easy.

Seller has a genuine Fender neck and a mighty might body. Selling them together is illegal. Unscrewing the neck and selling as

“1 genuine neck and 1loaded body (PS they screw together well)” solves the issue. 

Difficult the other way round as the body forsnt doesn’t have the logo. 

In this case, the Fender logo is there, put there by Fender, so no need to do anything (provided it's not being sold as a Fender instrument).

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Is the selling of a bass with an unauthorised logo on it against the law, or is it not..? Your posts up to now seem to suggest that it is. Therefore BC must not allow them, or risk becoming 'second defendant' in a court case. Yes or no..?

Yes. It is against the law.

Second Defendant in a civil case is a possibility. (Unlikely in a criminal matter). Would only happen if seller refused to refund the buyer. BC is not the seller.

A proper system of reporting and removal of offending items is likely to be a defence against a claim as a 2nd Defendant (basically as eBay do it)

Indemnity clauses in the T&C for the classifieds mean you can recover any outlay from the individual seller.

Edited by fretmeister

Just now, stingrayPete1977 said:

I don't think it really matters as long as the listing states what it is even if it's a total replica to every detail as long as it is a private seller.

Prepare yourself to be disabused of that notion by our resident legal expert. 

7 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

We seem to be arriving at a situation which creates additional work for the unpaid volunteer mods because of a single member with an agenda.

Fantastic start to the year.

There is no nefarious agenda - a question was asked and a load of people jumped in.

The guesstimate is maybe 1% of ads.

And the protection for unwitting buyers should be a positive.

1 minute ago, prowla said:

There is no nefarious agenda - a question was asked and a load of people jumped in.

IIRC, the question was asked only after you'd already jumped into a for sale ad here to express your view about logos. Moreover, Karl alleges you recently piled into his FB ad.

Look, it's OK if you want be a logo vigilante. Do what you like; no one can stop you. But with respect I don't think this thread was started from a neutral viewpoint and as a disinterested solicitation of opinion. I do think that it will end up making more work for the mods and for microscopic practical gain. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Thing is, Trigger Broom types can be easy.

Seller has a genuine Fender neck and a mighty might body. Selling them together is illegal. Unscrewing the neck and selling as

“1 genuine neck and 1loaded body (PS they screw together well)” solves the issue. 

Difficult the other way round as the body forsnt doesn’t have the logo. 

sigh...

we've moved fast from "this is illegal" to "however, here's a loophole".

And all... for what?

Is anybody here seriously suggesting changing anything in the way the FS subforum is run?

10 minutes ago, mcnach said:

sigh...

we've moved fast from "this is illegal" to "however, here's a loophole".

And all... for what?

Is anybody here seriously suggesting changing anything in the way the FS subforum is run?

It’s not a loop hole. It’s the selling of 2 separate but compatible items.

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

It’s not a loop hole. It’s the selling of 2 separate but compatible items.

Is that like selling a non-fender guitar with a fender logo separate ha ha sorry I’m just being facetious 

Edited by Jimothey