Why become a member? ×

Doug Wimbish - why does he bother with bass amps?

spectoremg

Doug is a superb bass player and maybe watching video clips of him doing say, clinics or demos on the stands at music shows, then it's not surprising that he's going to be 'doing musical theatrics'. The average trade show audience won't be interested in him playing root 8th notes to a I V vi IV. 

Take a look at Doug's discography. He's a very busy, in demand session bassist. Recordings that vastly out number his video clips. But hey, when the time comes, well, more is more :) . Challenge and be challenged. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

I've seen Doug in really small clubs with Vernon. And I really like the guy. I think he's really cool.

However, I don't think he's had an easy career. A few good breaks here and there but not much more. Educate me if I'm wrong.

Has he written any hit songs?

Blue

I don't know if he wrote any of Living Colours songs during their brief flash of mainstream success in the late 80s/early 90s, bit he's definitely had a more successful career than most as a session musician/sideman.

He caught the attention of Mick Jagger and the Stones, and ended up working with both. Apparently he came close to getting the permanent Stones gig after Wyman left, but quite a few prominent session players have similar stories. Also played with James Brown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Wimbish

Edited by Cato

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I don't know if he wrote any of Living Colours songs during their brief flash of mainstream success in the late 80s/early 90s, bit he's definitely had a more successful career than most as a session musician/sideman.

He caught the attention of Mick Jagger and the Stones, and ended up working with both. Apparently he came close to getting the permanent Stones gig after Wyman left, but quite a few prominent session palyers have similar stories. Also played with James Brown.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Wimbish

Yeah, I've heard different versions of the Stones gig. My thoughts, he never really got the offer. Who turns down a gig with the biggest money making machine in rock & roll ?

Blue

Just so you know I'm not sour on Doug, I always thought he was a better match for the Stones than Daryl.

But I bet there was something about Doug or his reputation that The Stones people weren't comfortable with.

I think if you say or do the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong person and the big opportunity doors close on you.

Am I right?

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Yeah, I've heard different versions of the Stones gig. My thoughts, he never really got the offer. Who turns down a gig with the biggest money making machine in rock & roll ?

Blue

I don't think he got the offer.

The version that I heard was that Charlie got the final decision and he felt he clicked best with Daryl.

11 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Just so you know I'm not sour on Doug, I always thought he was a better match for the Stones than Daryl.

But I bet there was something about Doug or his reputation that The Stones people weren't comfortable with.

I think if you say or do the wrong thing at the wrong time to the wrong person and the big opportunity doors close on you.

Am I right?

Blue

Do you think he'd have been better? I'm not so sure, though I'm really not an expert on that particular genre, it's not really something I'm into. I'd have thought though that he maybe had too much of his own sound for the Stones?

I heard a live album by Annie Lennox a while ago, and knew straight away who it was playing bass on it. I think some players can 'just fit in', others are booked for what they individually bring with them, ie sound etc.

37 minutes ago, ambient said:

Do you think he'd have been better? I'm not so sure, though I'm really not an expert on that particular genre, it's not really something I'm into. I'd have thought though that he maybe had too much of his own sound for the Stones?

I heard a live album by Annie Lennox a while ago, and knew straight away who it was playing bass on it. I think some players can 'just fit in', others are booked for what they individually bring with them, ie sound etc.

You might want to watch " Hired Gun " on Netflix.

Blue

Pretty sure that I read an interview with Doug where he conformed he wasn't offered the Stones gig but that people just assumed because of his other links with the band (Jagger, Bernard Fowler).  Interestingly, he didn't get the Fall gig either - and I heard he volunteered for that one!  Personally, I love his work with Tackhead / On-U Sound. My jaw pretty much hit the floor the first time I heard 'Hard Left' - I still can't work out if that insane triple bend is real or an effect, but it predates the whammy pedal by a couple of years. There is some stunt playing for sure, but he delivers a pretty punishing low end on those records too. 

11 hours ago, ambient said:

Annie's Diva album has some superb bass stuff by him and also sounds great.

59 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

I'm not suggesting he's a bad bass player, just that he wants to widdle in front of a camera. When is a bass a bass?

I refer you back to my post :) lol 

Billy Sheehan and Mark King?