Why become a member? ×

Tort rant

Creeper

Why is it that modern tort pickguards just look crap, you can buy a beautifully crafted Fender Custom Shop vintage reissue which is lovingly crafted in the image of the original bass, to the finest detail, and then they slap on the crappest piece of pretend tort as a pickguard. Let’s be honest, this stuff looks nothing like the original, vintage tort is beautiful, everyone is slightly different with shimmering patterns, deep reds and swirly things, modern tort is pretty crap and does not look nice. 

Spitfire torts which are rediculouy expensive are about the best your are going to get, they are pretty good, but again just do not stack up to the originals. Surely it cannot be that hard? 

Am I wrong? Is the tort pickguard an art form lost to time???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Creeper said:

Am I wrong? Is the tort pickguard an art form lost to time???

Nope, you're quite right. I think Spitfire tort is excellent, or at least the product I've had has been. And don't forget, original vintage tort isn't cheap, either. My view is you either have to bite the bullet and shell out, or avoid tort altogether. Modern salami-slice tort just isn't an option. It's like farting on a beautiful woman, or something. And that can get expensive too, but it's probably for another thread... O.o

Edited by discreet

Lovely...must be hard work wiping all the drool off it at gigs, though.

Checked Spitfire's page but can't see prices...my local luthier makes tort plates, I'll have to ask to see some when I visit next week to collect the Precision he's been making more precise. I'll probably take a Jazz bass over there soon for added jazziness. Not sure what he can do to a Thunderbird!*

*Not strictly true, he's had that in already and improved it beyond belief!

See my dilemma in my other thread. The tort guard on my 64 Precision is a thing of beauty. There really isn't a modern equivalent. 

In late 64 Fender stopped using nitro for their pickguards and swapped to vinyl. They did it as they were getting large numbers of warranty claims for shrinkage, warping and other issues. The nitro continues to outgas over time just like the paint, so it never stops shrinking or warping. The Very thing that makes it look so good also spelt its eventual withdrawal. 

Its not so much the artistry that is dead, more that the vinyl or printed ones don't capture the same look and feel of what was ultimately a flawed product

Here’s the Spitfire tort I had made for my Precision, very very good but still not like the originals, how hard can it be? Do they just not know how to do it anymore?

i found a guy in Germany selling vintage tort pickguards and I picked that 69 Jazz one up for about the same as the Spitfire cost.....

90381321-38DD-4D6D-9B12-E2177A844FBE.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Creeper said:

Here’s the Spitfire tort I had made for my Precision, very very good but still not like the originals, how hard can it be? Do they just not know how to do it anymore?

i found a guy in Germany selling vintage tort pickguards and I picked that 69 Jazz one up for about the same as the Spitfire cost.....

90381321-38DD-4D6D-9B12-E2177A844FBE.jpeg

Like I said - you need the original materials to get the original effect. And that way of doing it just ain't gonna work any more.

13 minutes ago, Rumple said:

I find it odd that you can buy cheap Celluloid guitar picks that look reasonably close to vintage tort but it is so hard to find a nice reasonably priced scratchplate.

pick.jpg

That my friend, is a very good point very well made, whilst not perfect, that looks a damn sight better than most modern tort..

17 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I didn't know they were celluloid, I bought a used one last week here on the forum, it is now adorning my US Jazz. I'll have a better look at it!

You can tell by the smell ^_^ I think it was a WD tort plate - I opened the sealed pack and couldn't stop breathing it in xD

Looking at WD's main site, it seems they do very similar 'plates in celluloid and vinyl, so I'll need to take mine off and check the part number to be sure. The bass is packed ready for tonight's gig, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow now.