Why become a member? ×

Tort rant

Creeper

21 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Looking at WD's main site, it seems they do very similar 'plates in celluloid and vinyl, so I'll need to take mine off and check the part number to be sure. The bass is packed ready for tonight's gig, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow now.

Have a good sniff of it - celluloid smells like Vick's Vapourub. 

Mr. Impatience here just dragged the Jazz out of the pile of stuff ready for tonight, removed the scratch plate in order to see the part number and guess what?? No bloody part number on it! Oh well. It looks nicer than any of the Fender tort guards I've got, but I still don't know whether I can get better. It doesn't have any trace of an aroma about it, but neither does my cellulose finished jazz (the other one, not the one with this plate on it) now it's a few years old.

I think I need to find something less trivial to occupy my brain cell!

1 hour ago, karlfer said:

A quick google finds something similar, acrylic drip painting opens a world of possibilities as well

Thanks for that Karl, very interesting... I'm assuming the Spitfire tort is some kind of poured resin, but I've no idea how it's done. There seems to be little information available. You can buy this stuff in sheets from Rothko and Frost, but as they say, the overall effect is dependent on what colour base you stick it to. Seems a little too expensive to buy just for experimental purposes, though.

http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/cellulose-nitrate-celluloid-sheet-tortoiseshell-vintage-430-x-290-x-2mm/

Bugger it, now I'll have to find out how to make celluloud tort pickguards. As if I didn't have enough to do! :D

10 hours ago, discreet said:

You can buy this stuff in sheets from Rothko and Frost, but as they say, the overall effect is dependent on what colour base you stick it to. Seems a little too expensive to buy just for experimental purposes, though.

http://www.rothkoandfrost.com/cellulose-nitrate-celluloid-sheet-tortoiseshell-vintage-430-x-290-x-2mm/

That stuff looks a bit like regular modern-day pepperoni..?

IN2352__67166.1500546340.1280.1280.jpg?c

On 26/11/2017 at 07:10, wateroftyne said:

That stuff looks a bit like regular modern-day pepperoni..?

Not ideal, I'll grant you. But it IS celluloid... it's a translucent top layer, so whether you used it with a black or white base guard would have a huge impact on the final appearance, I'm guessing. But the whole tort thing is such a pain in the bum, I'm tending towards mint or parchment for a vintage-type look. Depending on what colour the bass is, of course. Black always looks great for a 70s vibe.

21 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Surely if the early ones had a metal backing plate, they wouldn't crack or warp as they do?

Indeed they do, very temperamental material. Plus they also go up in flames if you leave them near heat - like too close to a lamp, this happened to a good pal of mine. 

17 minutes ago, discreet said:

I believe I've seen pics of the celluloid shrinking and exposing the backing plate, but I believe a lot of things...

I disbelieve in a  lot of things, including things I am certain I have seen. It was ten years after the event that I was finally convinced that the amazing laser show during the Here & Now set at Deeply Vale in the late 70s was invisible to anyone except me. Probably something I ate.

Might have slipped off topic there...anyway, I'm collecting one of my Precisions from the guitar chap in Oxford tomorrow, I'll ask him about the celluloid tort guards he makes. If they look any good, I've half a mind to try one after the Christmas drain on my wallet is over. (To be fair, having had a mind means I will, 'coz that's all I've got!)

Edited by FinnDave