Why become a member? ×

My eyes, my eyes! (Gibson crime).

spectoremg

39 minutes ago, totorbass said:

But in fact, I'm afraid this is a discontinued model (except the fiver) according to the Gibson website. This topic gave me the false hope it was  reissued . The latest model looks much uglier to me.

BAEB17NSBC1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

That looks like about a thousand similar basses. Why??

Why not? If there are a thousand like it someone must like the shape? That said I love my Thunderbird and the fact it isn’t a generic bass shape is one of its most appealing features so I do wish they would do something more original as well as a ‘safe’ option,

1 hour ago, discreet said:

That looks like about a thousand similar basses. Why??

The body looks like a Carvin, the headstock like uninspired Gibson. Neither vitagish nor modern. Uinspired IMO.I liked the other much better. 

Edited by totorbass

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Hard to believe so many people are that bothered by what a bass looks like. I play my Fender Precisions far more than the EB4, but it's still a good bass.

Ha! All well and good, but if your Precisions looked like a, a... bucket of turds, would you play them as much..?? o.O:biggrin:

I probably would, so long as they didn't smell like a bucket of turds...if the bass feels good and sounds good, that's all that matters. My only complaint about the EB4 is that the neck is quite narrow, almost as narrow as a Jazz bass, and I prefer a chunky Precision myself.

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

My only complaint about the EB4 is that the neck is quite narrow, almost as narrow as a Jazz bass, and I prefer a chunky Precision myself.

That's what would put me off. But weirdly I don't mind Jazz necks too much... if they're on a Jazz Bass. Kind of like they can't help it...

I've got a couple of Jazz basses myself, don't play them much though. I think the EB neck is slightly wider than a standard Jazz, but definitely narrower than a standard Precision. My favourite neck is the 1 3/4" one on the classic 50s Precision, though.

3 minutes ago, discreet said:

Yes! 1-3/4" at the nut and a 7-1/4" radius board can't be beat!

Ah my favourite neck and just like the one on my 64P

Interestingly, Andy Baxter has an EB2 in at the mo - the nut width is 43mm - pretty wide for a gibbo. I'm tempted to go have a look at it ;)

32 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Hard to believe so many people are that bothered by what a bass looks like. They play well and sound good, what's not to like? I play my Fender Precisions far more than the EB4, but it's still a good bass.

I guess you are right, but I still care.

As stated earlier, they don't look that bad to me.

I was unaware of a 'Gibson can't make a bass' feeling.  One of my bass goals starting out was to own a T-Bird,  and I hope to own more in future.  I disliked the universality of Fender basses.  For me, when I saw that Gibson was making this EB series - I think 2013 was the first one - I felt a bit sad that Gibson had felt the need to make something 'safer' to try and win back some market share.  Gibson, too me, have always been about doing different things in their bass design.

But on the other hand, if no-one cared what instruments looked like AndyJr's build threads wouldn't be quite so popular... :)

2 hours ago, totorbass said:

But in fact, I'm afraid this is a discontinued model (except the fiver) according to the Gibson website. This topic gave me the false hope it was  reissued . The latest model looks much uglier to me.

BAEB17NSBC1_MAIN_HERO_01.jpg

That headstock is totally wrong on that bass. The body is ok in a Carvin-y Conklin-y sort of way. Nothing remarkable though.

8 hours ago, discreet said:

It might help if the finish wasn't so bland. Would look a lot better in strident Gibson Cherry Red, for example.

I really like it but the finish is the only thing that has stopped me buying one. I don’t need one somit has to justify itself in some way and the sunburst colours don’t do it for me and the plain says £100 Ibanez more than £700 Gibson.