Why become a member? ×

NBD Ruby Ric

Cat Burrito

Okay, so technically this was a few weeks ago but I was playing it, not posting about it! Plus there was another wave of anti-Ric commenting on here so I laid low. I owned a Mapleglo Ric at the height of my GAS but sold it on as it wasn't getting played. Having a much smaller arsenal of kit now and having spent the last 15 months playing in a Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute band, the prospect of owning a Rickenbacker was becoming an option again.

My good lady found them a bit flash but I notice the stylings of the special models (4003s) have dot inlays and no binding which looks more 60s-ish, to me at least. It needed a set up but sounds and plays great. Owning a Gibson Thunderbird, my two thru neck USA basses couldn't be more different and offer some nice variation.

And for any Ric haters, mine's guarded by Sneaky Pete, the one eyed mad cat, so pick your battles carefully!

As a 4003s owner myself, I have to say, what's not to like? Mine's a fireglo but if they'd've had a ruby one at the time, I might well have gone that way myself. I couldn't get on with the pickup cover (as much as I think they look way cool) because of the way I play, so I fitted one of the bezels you can buy. I also fitted a D-Tuner and some different strap buttons (I'm not a fan of the Schaller strap lock system).

Enjoy your new toy.

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/94F5CF4A-ADB8-43AF-B2C8-3AF75F534DEB_zpszpfpqlav.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/94F5CF4A-ADB8-43AF-B2C8-3AF75F534DEB_zpszpfpqlav.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1503667741' post='3360167']Mr Health and Safety would like to discuss that plug socket though...
[/quote]

Ha! I thought about photoshopping that :) It looks worse than it actually is.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1503666120' post='3360130']Also, Rick-o-sound or mono? I'd be all over that split signal myself!
[/quote]

Glorious Mono. I had the two inputs on my old bass and whilst it's nice, I found I didn't use it.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1503679988' post='3360303']thread needs more Sneaky Pete[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. He's a regular on my bass playing Instagram page.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1503732437' post='3360547']Are you thinking of Stinky Pete from Toy Story?[/quote]

Sneaky Pete was the pedal steel player from the Flying Burrito Brothers. After the music industry he worked on a few films (like Empire Strikes Back) and his playing can be heard on John Lennon's Mind Games. Sneaky Pete the cat has a less impressive legacy.

[attachment=252136:R-2746004-1299165960.jpeg.jpg]