Why become a member? ×

Petite daughter - best 3/4 bass guitar

As long as she can cope with the 28.6" scale (slightly shorter than standard short scale), +1 for the Ibanez Mikro. They are excellent quality, look/sound like a proper bass guitar but are extremely compact and light. I used one as a 'travel bass' for a while and sold it to a 'Dad' in a similar situation to your own. He was delighted with it when he collected it and (he told me later) so was his son when he got it for his Birthday present.

SX make nice shorty Ps and Js. Excellent value and surprisingly better quality than the price suggests.

Put it this way, since I bought an SX 34" Jazz bass for $299AU, my $3,000AU Fender Am Stnd sits unused,as do my Fender MIMs......

$299AU is about two Euros lol our exchange rate sucks so it should be pretty cheap over there

[quote name='converse320' timestamp='1502297879' post='3350558']
Re amps, if she's like my daughter she'll prefer a beaten up second hand 80s trace elliot combo rather than something new.
[/quote]

An old Trace has a certain 'cool' factor that very few modern amps can get near to. Unfortunately for your daughter, they also have a certain 'heavier than the factory they were built in' factor too, so unless she's either a weightlifter or dating one they may be impractical, especially with the newer breed of superlight amps now on the market.

A

There's a review of the Squier VM Jaguar shortie in September's BGM.

Also one of the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass which would not be suitable for the OP's daughter yet......let's see if anyone has spotted the big error in the review of it?
Clue: read the first paragraph then look at the rear of the head stock photo, directly to the right hand side!

[quote name='Alien' timestamp='1502546441' post='3352121']
An old Trace has a certain 'cool' factor that very few modern amps can get near to. Unfortunately for your daughter, they also have a certain 'heavier than the factory they were built in' factor too, so unless she's either a weightlifter or dating one they may be impractical, especially with the newer breed of superlight amps now on the market.

A
[/quote]
Yes. But I think we all know who'll end up carting the amp about.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1502296425' post='3350551']
The 'Tanglewood' link seems to be wrong. Here's a good'un ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tanglewood-Elfin-Mini-Bass-/172810864893?hash=item283c5488fd:g:ygsAAOSw8apZiExg"]Tanglewood Elfin Mini-bass ...[/url]
[/quote]

£137!!!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1502349676' post='3350768']
I bought one of these when my then-small son showed an interest. 19.5 inch scale. Very playable and sounds surprisingly good.
[/quote]

Would you happen to know the total length of the Elfin bass? Would a Strat-sized gigbag fit it or would getting a case for it just be too much of a headache?

Hi Domino,

I've got a Tanglewood Elfin
Sorry, it's not here with me - so I can't give you accurate dimensions

But I took it into a local guitar shop, and they guys there easily found me a gigbag
I think it was for a 3/4 size student guitar? Anyhow, there were several that fitted it - I went for one that was quite well padded
Even that is a bit too big for the Elfin, I'm sure it would fit in a strat bag - but the strat bag might be a bit longer
Thinking back, I'm pretty sure my gigbag was for a student sized acoustic guitar..... which was cheaper than a strat gigbag
and there was a 1/2 size student gigbag which it fitted too - but that was a bit of a squeeze

Somewhere here on BC, I posted a pic of the Elfin alongside my Precision - to demonstrate their size
It's an amazing bass for its' size, and sounds like any full-sized P bass.
I rarely use mine - but it does come on pub jams / camping trips with me, and my Roland battery powered bass amp

Edited by Marc S