Why become a member? ×

Is 'Headless' about to come back into fashion?

ARGH

Johngh What is the headless one on furthest one on the left?

I remember seeing a headless years ago it was a dark grey high gloss finish body just like that one, but was in a kevlar gray it had the most amazing fretboard (almost like a tumbled stone feel) i think it was ebony & it was almost sexual to play.
I never knew the make but it was price at £1100 & i lusted after it for months, eventually it got sold & i was gutted.

Always wondered what it was......

[quote name='fumps' post='321512' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:28 AM']Johngh What is the headless one on furthest one on the left?

I remember seeing a headless years ago it was a dark grey high gloss finish body just like that one, but was in a kevlar gray it had the most amazing fretboard (almost like a tumbled stone feel) i think it was ebony & it was almost sexual to play.
I never knew the make but it was price at £1100 & i lusted after it for months, eventually it got sold & i was gutted.

Always wondered what it was......[/quote]
Was it on display under a glass cabinet in Scheerer's?

[quote name='elom' post='321498' date='Nov 4 2008, 01:50 AM']This is the only headless I've ever hankered after. Can't find any of the buggers mind you...

[attachment=15565:AXB50BK.jpg][/quote]

I've been looking for one of those for ages and finally gave up yesterday. I just ordered a new Hohner B2A for traveling abroad and for taking to work to practise at lunchtime in the car. I played one a good few years ago and thought it was superb for what it is. They are made by Cort in Korea and the quality is excellent. I see them going new for £379 and upward on ebay and £479 at Thomann but I managed to get a bargain, even the second hand ones fetch silly money so I'd guess that they are having a comeback. Don't see many bands with them though. :)

[quote name='elom' post='321498' date='Nov 4 2008, 01:50 AM']This is the only headless I've ever hankered after. Can't find any of the buggers mind you...

I saw one for sale on a Philippines auction site a couple of weeks ago. :)

This looks very much like a modern, slightly rounder, take on the Westone Quantum - I'd attach a pic if I had one

EDITED to say that having checked on the web I see that these were contempories of the Westone quantum, so not a modern take at all.
What is the scale length on these?

Edited by Clive Thorne

[quote name='elom' post='321498' date='Nov 4 2008, 01:50 AM']This is the only headless I've ever hankered after. Can't find any of the buggers mind you...[/quote]

One of these went through Ebay a few times without selling a few months ago. I think a certain Mr Binface, from the notorious Binface.com interweb site, was the lucky snapper-upper, once it got cheap enough.

J.

[quote name='finnbass' post='322104' date='Nov 4 2008, 09:46 PM']Wot! This one?

Quite correct Mr Assin. It went through eBay twice in February without a bite and I picked it up on it's third pass.

So...they are still out there, keep looking :)[/quote]

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH! - I want to try one of those.
That is right up my street, and Ibanez as well, a flavour of my youth.

How does it play / sound similar to anything else?

[quote name='finnbass' post='322104' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:46 PM']Wot! This one?

Quite correct Mr Assin. It went through eBay twice in February without a bite and I picked it up on it's third pass.

So...they are still out there, keep looking :)[/quote]

I've got say that does look nice - what is the scale length on this? (please let it be 32")

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='321911' date='Nov 4 2008, 04:23 PM']The bass to the far left in JohnGH's pic is a Status-Graphite S2-Classic bolt-on six in satin cocobolo. I've loved that bass ever since he got it! May get a similar one next year.[/quote]

You are absolutely bang on, I had it made earlier this year. Sorry for not getting back Fumps, I've been away a couple of days. The Status with the green LED's has been sold. :)

I'm awaiting the arrival of a Series 2000 Status at the minute so this thread is probably relevant to me. I've no feeling either way on what a headless looks like. It's all about practicalities for me. Small enough to a) fit in a standard guitar case/bag :) fit in the boot of my Skoda Fabia along with my rig c) allow my to turn around on the stage at one of our regular(-ish) gig venues without removing the head of my bass on a pillar/wall/guitarist. Also, being all graphite, it'll handle variations in temperature better than my other basses. Really a win-win siutuation for a covers band bassist.

I am slightly concerned that it'll sound a little too 'ACTIVE', but I can live with that for a gigging bass. At worst I'll figure some way of replacing the pickups electronics with passive alternatives (I can hear cries of "BURN THE HERETIC!" from the Status lovers already!).

[quote name='Johngh' post='322595' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:34 PM']You are absolutely bang on, I had it made earlier this year. Sorry for not getting back Fumps, I've been away a couple of days. The Status with the green LED's has been sold. :)[/quote]

No probs mate.

Now i know what bass it was i can get on & not be able to afford it anyway lol

[quote name='Bigwan' post='322627' date='Nov 5 2008, 03:20 PM']I'm awaiting the arrival of a Series 2000 Status at the minute so this thread is probably relevant to me. I've no feeling either way on what a headless looks like. It's all about practicalities for me. Small enough to a) fit in a standard guitar case/bag :) fit in the boot of my Skoda Fabia along with my rig c) allow my to turn around on the stage at one of our regular(-ish) gig venues without removing the head of my bass on a pillar/wall/guitarist. Also, being all graphite, it'll handle variations in temperature better than my other basses. Really a win-win siutuation for a covers band bassist.

I am slightly concerned that it'll sound a little too 'ACTIVE', but I can live with that for a gigging bass. At worst I'll figure some way of replacing the pickups electronics with passive alternatives (I can hear cries of "BURN THE HERETIC!" from the Status lovers already!).[/quote]

Why not ask Rob to fit passive?

[quote name='woolleydick' post='322679' date='Nov 5 2008, 02:17 PM']Why not ask Rob to fit passive?[/quote]
Well it's second-hand for a start. And I've never played one through my rig so I may be able to adjust elsewhere so the bass sounds right for what I do. If it doesn't 'do it' for me then I'll contact Rob about alternatives.

After being on this planet for more than half a century I've had the the oportunity to play countless brands & models,but I have only ever owned Status's (or should that be Statii)I started out as a guitar player but deffected to the low end late in life,beats me why every bass player in the land doesn't play a headless especialy a Status ,I would sell my genitals before I would part with my 4000,double end strings are easy & cheap to get hold of,try status themselves or stringsdirect.co.uk .

Ps. if rob green would like to send me a free kingbass in exchange for this plug I will not be too embarrased to accept.

Off with your heads !!,mike b.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='322895' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:17 PM']Bigwan, you can run the 2000 series passive if it has the original preamp onboard. The toggle switch turns the preamp on and off on these earlier models. It's mainly the later three-band Status models that have the mid selector switch instead.

Rich.[/quote]
The bass in question doesn't have a switch, just 4 pots which I assume are volume/pan/bass/treble.

Look at this on ebay

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180302196295"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=180302196295[/url] £268??? New ones are £329!

In answer to the OP - yes, they are definitely back.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='320810' date='Nov 3 2008, 11:51 AM']Headless basses quite simply aren't cool.

If you (quite rightly) don't care about looking cool, I can see the appeal.

It's a short step from a headless bass to the "Keytar".[/quote]

Absolutely 100% agreed.

How many of you anti-headless people have actually played one, I wonder...? You may very well reject things on looks, but when the practicalities outweigh your tastes, there's no argument really.

Just to show I'm not a one-brand man, I've really loved the look of these since Warwick reissued them this year...
I give you the Warwick Nobby Meidel signature bass :)

I love how they've mixed a comparitively low-tech solution with such incredible materials!

Rich.

[quote name='nick' post='320924' date='Nov 3 2008, 01:48 PM']A bass player who I personally rate, Mick Quinn from Supergrass now uses an L-Series Steinberger, in favour of his usual Ibanez Blazer - quite a change.

Still couldn't bring myself to have one though...[/quote]

Didn't Mick break his back a while ago? That would explain a lot.

I love the concept of headless, but I find the string tension seems a bit stiffer on the ones I've owned. No idea why. Also I actually find my headed Sei comfier than the 2 headless Seis I've had in the past. Wouldn't stop me buying another though.